Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised - but also not - how many posts there have been already on the Facebook groups about people confused as to why their new car doesn't chime when parking, because it's such ubiquitous technology now. Even having had that popup come up to ask them whether they wanted to continue - I still don't think it dawned on them what they were losing........
My car, ordered back in March before Tesla announced the demise of USS's I believe, was delivered last week without USS and without any notice from Tesla that the spec. of my car would be different to the one I ordered.

This annoys me more than the absence of parking assistance to be honest!

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere on the previous 50+ pages but is there any information about whether a future software update will disable the USS on existing cars that already have it fitted ?
No. This Tesla FAQ says:
Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet.
Most folk here are pre-emptively worrying as Tesla have removed components before. Albeit when a substitute was available.

If only there was some kind of way to tell what a car would be like before you buy it, maybe some sort of retail location where you could try them out, surely that would fix this issue completely. Failing that maybe if you could return the car for a full refund within the first couple of weeks once you discover how low tech it is. It's such a shame that you get tricked into this purchase and would probably have to endure a small profit to sell the car on.
You must have missed my posts where I mentioned that most of these drawbacks were exactly what I expected, having been considering, looking at, and occasionally test driving Teslas for many years.

They’re decent EVs with two big advantages - the supercharger network and the amount of space the MY has for a small footprint. The stuff that the fan boys get excited about is largely toss, but as a Toyota-style easy car then they’re good.

Reactions: H43lio
the visibility from the rear camera is quite bad. Especially when you're backing up to something that can reflect light.
I'd be interested to see an up to date view of what that's like on current cars. Mine is rubbish in exactly the situation you describe. Hard to believe it hasn't improved.

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere on the previous 50+ pages but is there any information about whether a future software update will disable the USS on existing cars that already have it fitted ?

I don't think there is anything confirmed. At the moment I think there is no real need to drop existing USS support but who knows?

A couple of posts crossed mine.... Tesla would appear to have said they aren't dropping USS when installed, but IF they can get VO to equal USS, why not go with VO version on all cars?

Component shortage.

I saw info about other manufacturers being effected etc, but as a matter of interest, did Tesla acknowledge supply issues or was it put down to product development / improvement?

I saw the same arguments about Radar but again got the impression that Tesla claimed it was all down to product improvement.

Component shortage. Either stop fitting them or stop selling cars - Tesla took the first option.

I saw info about other manufacturers being effected etc, but as a matter of interest, did Tesla acknowledge supply issues or was it put down to product development / improvement?

I saw the same arguments about Radar but again got the impression that Tesla claimed it was all down to product improvement.
Yea, I haven't heard from anyone but here that its a component shortage issue. Tesla's other vehicles still have them.

Outside of that, over the last two years, we've seen Tesla deliver cars with missing components (that require owners to address post-delivery), so I'm not sure how USS would be any different (if it were a shortage.)

Last edited:
Agree with a previous poster in the wet dark nights the rear camera isn't reliable, how TV will deal with it remains to be seen.
Agreed. Went out last night and car was very wet with condensation. Had to get out and wipe cameras off. Never had to do that with multiple previous cars with reverse cameras/USS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure Tesla will figure this out. I just wish they had figured it out before removing the USS.

My opinion about USS after five years of family experience with this brand is that the company will do whatever it wants with little regard to others’ opinions. Conjecture about what may happen or with timescales is meaningless.

That behaviour is currently well represented elsewhere by the man driving both businesses.
It's a shame. I really, really like this car. And so does Mrs. McChimp and she is hard to please 😉. If Tesla said the car had no USS but the vision based system was ready. We would be cool. But i was only told no USS when I asked specifically and that vision would be available once it reached 'performance parity'. That put a sour taste in my mouth frankly. Not enough to reject the car (for various reasons. Including current situation with timing/current cars/finance etc) . Like I said. We both love this car. But we feel a little.... Let down somehow.

Hopefully. HOPEFULLY. TV comes soon and has indeed reached 'performance parity'. If it does. This will all be forgotten. If it doesn't..... Well the competition gets better every day.

Agreed. Went out last night and car was very wet with condensation. Had to get out and wipe cameras off. Never had to do that with multiple previous cars with reverse cameras/USS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure Tesla will figure this out. I just wish they had figured it out before removing the USS.
In the case you describe where the camera is covered with condensation, there is no way that software can work around it. Similar in cases where there is glare from a setting sun (which the cars complain about already) or reversing light reflections off damp surfaces at night.

Machine learning and computer vision are not magic...

I would reject the car (or ask for a USS equipped one if available) if the wait for an alternative wasn't so long and we didn't need a larger car now.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
In the case you describe where the camera is covered with condensation, there is no way that software can work around it. Similar in cases where there is glare from a setting sun (which the cars complain about already) or reversing light reflections off damp surfaces at night.

Machine learning and computer vision are not magic...

I would reject the car (or ask for a USS equipped one if available) if the wait for an alternative wasn't so long and we didn't need a larger car now.
How will software and AI do the magic if it cannot see? Maybe if Tesla made the part of the glass heated it could remove some issues

Surely you have had parking sensors for at least the last 20 of these 40 years?
Not like you have done without them for the entire 40 years as they have been standard on many cars in recent times.
I have driven older sports cars for the last 30-odd years - my current car, owned for the last 16 years, is a 2001 Honda NSX - no USS. So it's certainly possible.

My Tesla has been bought for dull day-day driving.