Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a ridiculous move as camera only solution would be useless in a lot of situations.

What happen when there is snow? It’s white everywhere and how can any AI system tell what is what, let alone distance?

It’s like trying to interact with this world with a single sense which makes absolutely no sense

I don’t have an issue with wipers. Just lucky I guess. You’re dead right about follow distance. I‘ve had mine set on 5 from new without any bother. I followed a lorry in the dark (not raining) recently and it got way too close so I backed off to 7 and it was still too close. I reckon it was about 3 lengths!
I'm pretty sure that the follow distance used to be in half-second increments. Certainly, a follow distance of 6 used to give me pretty much bang on 3 seconds between me and the car in front on the motorway. Definitely seems to be closer now, or at least less consistent. I've had it drive as close as 2 seconds away from the car in front now (still set on 6).

About that, could either of you tell me what a) the minimum distance setting is with and without radar and b) what the maximum speed for TACC with and without radar.
I suspect you are trying to make a point with a rhetorical question. I drive with 7 for my follow distance and use AutoPilot at the speed limit, there is no change in the capabilities through Tesla Vision.

If you like to drive very close to the car in front and over 85mph I'm quite happy the car is now preventing this.

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
I suspect you are trying to make a point with a rhetorical question. I drive with 7 for my follow distance and use AutoPilot at the speed limit, there is no change in the capabilities through Tesla Vision.

If you like to drive very close to the car in front and over 85mph I'm quite happy the car is now preventing this.
I found that daytime, the follow distance was fine. It’s definitely uncomfortably closer at night on the same road same software and on level 7

Now that tesla has a robot, they can dispense with the cameras altogether Johnnycabs
JohnnyCab.jpg

Reactions: blower
I found that daytime, the follow distance was fine. It’s definitely uncomfortably closer at night on the same road same software and on level 7
I appreciate that's your perception, but it doesn't really make any sense that a computer would misjudge distance due to the dark and not have many catastrophic failures. Poor human drivers latch on to following the lights of a car in front by not remotely considering their environment and feel false confidence in the other driver, that's a human fault, not how autopilot drives.

I appreciate that's your perception, but it doesn't really make any sense that a computer would misjudge distance due to the dark and not have many catastrophic failures. Poor human drivers latch on to following the lights of a car in front by not remotely considering their environment and feel false confidence in the other driver, that's a human fault, not how autopilot drives.
thé night time drive I was following a big artic. It’s a local drive on D/C I’ve done many times day and night. There isn’t a shred of doubt in my mind.
The car was travelling closer than it does during daytime. Even my wife commented and took dashcam footage and I logged with Tesla.
You are right. It doesn’t make sense. Whether it was something about the lorry I don’t know.

I can’t understand how they think it’s ok to sell £60k cars with no working Park
Assist. It’s madness. Sure turn then off if you’ve got a Tesla vision replacement but to end them BEFORE your software is ready? Crazy

Reactions: Lleo and WKUK
Ah well... I look forward to the YouTube videos testing this out.

Hopefully they'll have a solution for a self driving car to have self cleaning of the cameras, otherwise it's never really fully autonomous.

Reactions: blower

I can’t understand how they think it’s ok to sell £60k cars with no working Park
Assist. It’s madness. Sure turn then off if you’ve got a Tesla vision replacement but to end them BEFORE your software is ready? Crazy
IIRC there's a whole new auto park, summon and reverse summon due out in the next release of FSDBeta.

My guess is that they did not want to re-engineer the old auto-park code to work without the USS, as there's no point, so instead it's just the new Beta release due soon which is ready to work without this USS hardware. a few weeks gap wont hurt many customers.

Obvs they will have to roll out some of the new Beta code universally to replace the old auto park, so maybe this is good news, as we could get some small bits of the Beta code soon?

thé night time drive I was following a big artic. It’s a local drive on D/C I’ve done many times day and night. There isn’t a shred of doubt in my mind.
The car was travelling closer than it does during daytime. Even my wife commented and took dashcam footage and I logged with Tesla.
You are right. It doesn’t make sense. Whether it was something about the lorry I don’t know.
I dont doubt it. Its just like the automatic wipers. They work ok (much better) in good daylight but not good (much worst) at night or very low light.

I think tesla vision is just that. Its Teslas vision in a sense of trying to tell us the planet if flat when we know its round. Hopefully they leave the wiring in place in case they have to do some retrofits!

Alas you do have birds eye view (BEV), just vector view after Tesla has processed the objects rather than stitched output from the cameras. Lots of room for error in Tesla's approach, but thats what EM gave us when he promised us BEV.
Can't really agree on that. I need BEV for seeing the kerb and such element below the car blind spots. I don't care for the so called FSD visualisation that continuously jitters by the way, only show orange cones and wheelie bins, and of course intermittently shows lorries overlapping on my car for some reason while they are parked 5 foot away.

BEV in my book (and all other manufacturers' one...) is access to a stitched, vectorized image of all cameras view. Like the one they are showing for the rear camera and diagonal rear from the wing cameras, but 360°.

And access to B pillar cameras was what was promised by Elon 2 years ago... still waiting