Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that Tesla are in that "value engineering" phase where they have the confidence to remove stuff from the bill of materials to benefit themselves, and it doesn't make a major dent to their sales. We've lost passenger lumbar, USB data in the console, now USS.. there's probably other stuff I've forgotten.

From what I've seen elsewhere people who are critical of their cars not having USS, when pressed, say it wasn't enough for them to reject the car entirely because of a variety of reasons (not least of which aspirational value, the range/efficiency which is still better than competitors, etc). That is basically Tesla's ideal customer - someome who continues to buy their products in spite of things being systematically removed.

This is not unlike Apple's behaviour in recent years. They remove the charger from new phones ostensibly for "sustainability", but that's not going to stop people buying iPhones so it's a win-win for them - pure profit. Likewise people aren't going to stop buying Teslas because of lack of parking sensors, or at least it doesn't seem like it.

Tesla will carry on down this path until such time as they feel pressure from sales not meeting expectations. Customer opinions won't matter so long as they keep on buying the cars and putting up with this stuff.

it wasn't enough for them to reject the car entirely because of a variety of reasons (not least of which aspirational value, the range/efficiency which is still better than competitors, etc).
It’s not quite so easy to just turn it down at the last second because you can’t just walk into BMW or Audi and pick up an alternative, especially with the extra long lead times for new cars.

You also have to factor in people will have finance deals locked in at lower interest rates and walking away from that and getting another deal with an even higher rate will mean spending even more money.

They have you over a barrel, nothing more, nothing less.

I think that Tesla are in that "value engineering" phase where they have the confidence to remove stuff from the bill of materials to benefit themselves, and it doesn't make a major dent to their sales. We've lost passenger lumbar, USB data in the console, now USS.. there's probably other stuff I've forgotten.

From what I've seen elsewhere people who are critical of their cars not having USS, when pressed, say it wasn't enough for them to reject the car entirely because of a variety of reasons (not least of which aspirational value, the range/efficiency which is still better than competitors, etc). That is basically Tesla's ideal customer - someome who continues to buy their products in spite of things being systematically removed.

This is not unlike Apple's behaviour in recent years. They remove the charger from new phones ostensibly for "sustainability", but that's not going to stop people buying iPhones so it's a win-win for them - pure profit. Likewise people aren't going to stop buying Teslas because of lack of parking sensors, or at least it doesn't seem like it.

Tesla will carry on down this path until such time as they feel pressure from sales not meeting expectations. Customer opinions won't matter so long as they keep on buying the cars and putting up with this stuff.
You can walk into an Apple Store and use a charger or use an existing charger

You don’t have options with USS, Apple left us with options.

Apple removing a charging port & sticking to wireless charging is comparable &

Your signature says you have a 2018 Model 3, which will have full USS and 8 cameras.... so you are not impacted by the USS removal.....I assume your preference is for other reasons?
Correct, so far. I’ve held onto v2022.20.8, the last version to not disable my radar. My USS still do work and I use them. Given that USS have already been removed from new vehicles entirely, it is not a stretch to expect software to disable existing systems at some point, regardless of any guidance to the contrary, as has happened with radar. I’ve grown weary of Tesla de-featuring my car of late, the downside of OTA updates.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Got confirmation today that my MY has TV and no USS..... She also confirmed that TV is live and includes measurements and lines as parking aids but no audible beeps.

I've not read anyones posts on here mentioning measurements on their recent pick ups?

Got confirmation today that my MY has TV and no USS..... She also confirmed that TV is live and includes measurements and lines as parking aids but no audible beeps.

I've not read anyones posts on here mentioning measurements on their recent pick ups?
Unless theres a software update that got released last night and my car for some reason didnt do it.

I can tell you now, it doesnt show you measurements...

Your signature says 2018 Model 3 -- they didn't arrive on these shores until 2019??
Yes, you’re correct but I am in one of the “other” Salisburys. Not the much older (c1220’s as New Sarum?) one in the UK, nor the one in Maryland, but the one in North Carolina founded in 1753 about halfway between Charlotte and the High Point-Greensboro-Winston-Salem triad. Took delivery in 07/2018, vehicle manufactured in Fremont California in 06/2018. Interestingly for me anyway, the three Salisburys are all relatively small cities in population with the UK instance leading the pack at about 41,000 with Maryland’s slightly smaller, and North Carolina’s at about 34,000.

Last edited:
Most folk here are pre-emptively worrying as Tesla have removed components before. Albeit when a substitute was available.
This. And no, not when a substitute is available, just when Tesla wants. Tesla removed radar without a direct substitute evidenced by the additional restrictions placed on the driver by the “kinda, sorta” substitute Vision. USS have already been removed from new cars with not even a “kinda, sorta” substitute available.

This. And no, not when a substitute is available, just when Tesla wants. Tesla removed radar without a direct substitute evidenced by the additional restrictions placed on the driver by the “kinda, sorta” substitute Vision. USS have already been removed from new cars with not even a “kinda, sorta” substitute available.

Substitute does not mean exactly the same. Ask any football fan. And I mean football. :)

To be fair, on 40.4.1 auto pilot performs better than when the radar was enabled.

AHB is also in an acceptable state.

And for the record, I thought the initial release of V11 was terrible. However the current version is better than V10 ever was.

Feels like sticking with 20.X is cutting your nose off to spite your face at this point.

Reactions: init6
So I've had two of my friends picking up their Model Y's last week (one Thursday and one Saturday) and I believe they ordered them around the same time. Both also collected from Bluewater.

One has the USS/parking sensors and one didn't!

I know the rumours are around about the referral program coming back but that's the 3rd person I've recommended and they've purchased so I do wish they still gave out those free supercharger miles!!!

In what way(s) that uses / used Radar does it perform better?
I said vision only performs better than the old vision plus radar.

Visiting tends to be more consistent, confident and has now stopped freaking out when you change from lane 3 to 2 when there is a lorry in lane 1.

Where it’s worse is situations where the main camera is getting hammered with very heavy rain and spray from adjacent vehicles and the wipers on max speed can no longer deal with it. Night is not as good as day but it’s no worse than the old system.

Reactions: init6