Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the only clues we have to go on so far are the published demos of the occupancy network, which we have seen in both FSD and Optimus thus far.

Maybe I'm the optimist in the room, but i very much doubt it would have an issue with detecting bay window and pot.

A tweak they may employ is to use more compute / higher resolution on occupancy network at low speeds and when reversing to deal with these finer details.

74cm by 34cm object, different colour to what's immediately behind it, and completely invisible. I think the phrase is "This is fine."

image.jpg

Reactions: MashinBenzin
74cm by 34cm object, different colour to what's immediately behind it, and completely invisible. I think the phrase is "This is fine."

View attachment 880562
The photo you posted previously was not able to resolve the image successfully not because of lack of pixels but because it had blobs of water hanging in front of the lens. If the camera had been clean and dry I have no doubt that the planter would have been easily visible. The problem that needs to be solved (in this instance) is how the cameras can be kept clean enough in everyday use! The car presently has no features that give any help and the rear camera seems to be particularly easily compromised ... big problem until a design and/or positioning change is made.

Of course meantime we can take advantage of our wonderfully adaptable human eyes and brains to spot when the camera needs a wipe ... a pain to have to do but it does save the bodywork! Oh, and swap that planter for a bale of straw! ;)

The photo you posted previously was not able to resolve the image successfully not because of lack of pixels but because it had blobs of water hanging in front of the lens.
the previous image was also just one single frame from one of three cameras that will be used for occupancy network for the rear view.

How it could work is that once one of the three rear facing cameras sees the pot it should then know it is there and continue to plot its position relative to the car. should there be some frames where the image isn't clear through water blobs then that is not ideal, but as i understand it, through the persistency logic this should not be a problem.

USS probably wouldn’t see that either given it’s pretty low, particularly as you get closer to it.

That said they’d be reacting to the wall as would the vision system (in theory) and will be screaming stop (kicks in at around 15” so you can still open the boot) before you would hit it.

the previous image was also just one single frame from one of three cameras that will be used for occupancy network for the rear view.

How it could work is that once one of the three rear facing cameras sees the pot it should then know it is there and continue to plot its position relative to the car. should there be some frames where the image isn't clear through water blobs then that is not ideal, but as i understand it, through the persistency logic this should not be a problem.
Er, just like the front cameras when there are spray droplets completely obscuring the windscreen? At least I can press the LH stalk to activate the wipers manually.

Er, just like the front cameras when there are spray droplets completely obscuring the windscreen? At least I can press the LH stalk to activate the wipers manually.
rarely do I ever get spray on the side repeaters, how much the rear camera spray will affect things remains to be seen.... I guess if you are swinging into a driveway the side repeaters should see the object first and track it even if the rear camera is partially obscured. If you are reversing in a straight line for some distance then more of an issue, however it is possible that the NN will still see objects through any water droplets on the cameras, maybe not as accurate, but maybe enough.

USS probably wouldn’t see that either given it’s pretty low, particularly as you get closer to it.

The new system in theory be much better at seeing any objects that overhang ether below or above, as opposed to USS which is relatively 2D.

Does anyone know of a product that can be wiped on the cameras to encourage water to disperse efficiently yet does not also hamper the already low resolution?
Could be worth a go? Possibly rainex or similar?
I used Rain-X on my windscreen/roof when I first got a Model 3 & then had numerous issues with the wipers until I spent a lot of time clearing all trace from the camera area. It's only ever been used on the roof and side windows since so I personally would never use it in front of a Tesla camera lens.

Others may have a different experience however.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Does anyone know of a product that can be wiped on the cameras to encourage water to disperse efficiently yet does not also hamper the already low resolution?
Could be worth a go? Possibly rainex or similar?
Applied this to all cameras, wing mirrors and home cctv camera lenses about 4 months ago. I've found it makes a big difference:

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger and Drew57
Applied this to all cameras, wing mirrors and home cctv camera lenses about 4 months ago. I've found it makes a big difference:

Crikey. Do you have a link to the hazmat suit that you wore when applying? ;)

Seriously though, I may give that a try. This time of year, condensation obscuring the cameras lens' are the least you would expect so anything that safely reduces this would be useful. Like others, I've had long term issues with previous rain-X applications so will never use on glass requiring high visibility in all conditions such as a windscreen. Thankfully I learned that before I may have done the same on Tesla windscreen and/or cameras.

All the Tesla warnings about never touching the cameras except with a spray of water make you wonder whether they have a genuine concern with ad-hoc wiping of the cameras or just covering their arses. imho, a gentle delft wipe with a soft cloth, back of hand on an otherwise clean lens should be acceptable, but it makes you wonder if any future camera issues will be pushed back with incorrect cleaning.

1670086641921.png

Crikey. Do you have a link to the hazmat suit that you wore when applying? ;)
I didn't actually check the health warnings before use, applied without gloves, and so far so good!

I understand Tesla's cautions about wiping the cameras, as there's a risk of scratching the lens when wiping dirt around, abrasive cleaners are designed to remove layers of the material they're applied to which would also lead to scratch marks.

For anyone interested, there's a video here showing the effectiveness on the wing mirror glass:

When applying to cameras, just make sure you have a cloth underneath to catch any drips. If you notice any hazing after applying it's fine to wipe with glass cleaner once cured.

I didn't actually check the health warnings before use, applied without gloves, and so far so good!

I understand Tesla's cautions about wiping the cameras, as there's a risk of scratching the lens when wiping dirt around, abrasive cleaners are designed to remove layers of the material they're applied to which would also lead to scratch marks.

For anyone interested, there's a video here showing the effectiveness on the wing mirror glass:

When applying to cameras, just make sure you have a cloth underneath to catch any drips. If you notice any hazing after applying it's fine to wipe with glass cleaner once cured.
Love the video. Makes it sound soooo exciting!

Reactions: Battpower
I've been getting requests too book collection for my MYP in Dec. I replied yesterday asking if it had USS. I got a standard reply about Tesla Vision being the new safety standard since Oct.

I have requested to cancel and for my deposit to be refunded.

Based on my experiences of Tesla Vision, I sincerely doubt it will be able to replace USS successfully.

I am very disappointed as I was really looking forward to this car but I'm not willing to trade in my MYLR for essentially the same thing without. Sods law says I will damage the front end parking within days.

I am happy to be proven wrong and will then reorder if Vision ever works properly.

Just wanted to add when Tesla Vision was first enabled I thought it was OK but since we've moved to dark winter nights, I have changed my opinion.

The cameras are defeated by the slightest mist which is very common throughout the winter.

The wipers drive me insane when AP is on. As soon as you turn AP off, they go back to normal.

The auto main beam keeps flashing pedestrians and other drivers. A couple if days ago it flashed a driver in what could have easily been interpreted as me giving them priority. Fortunately they didn't go as it would have caused a dangerous situation.

Reactions: ACarneiro and Boza
I've been getting requests too book collection for my MYP in Dec. I replied yesterday asking if it had USS. I got a standard reply about Tesla Vision being the new safety standard since Oct.

I have requested to cancel and for my deposit to be refunded.

Based on my experiences of Tesla Vision, I sincerely doubt it will be able to replace USS successfully.

I am very disappointed as I was really looking forward to this car but I'm not willing to trade in my MYLR for essentially the same thing without. Sods law says I will damage the front end parking within days.

I am happy to be proven wrong and will then reorder if Vision ever works properly.
To be honest, given the cost to change vs what you can get from acceleration boost DLC, I’m not sure why anyone would go from a ~6 month old LR to a new P.

Hi all -

Lots of chat in here but I'd be grateful if someone can give me a rundown of "Tesla Vision". Will I have sensor warnings when I'm parking when I collect the car at the weekend?

I have a very tight parking spot where I live and rely on the sensors religiously.

Is it in "beta" or just not here yet? Can't believe my dream car isn't going to have bloody parking sensors for Christ sake.

I think many Tesla ownership stories start with a downer of some sort. It seems like a rite of passage almost! Along with the anticipation of a resolution. In most cases the ups (far) out weigh the downs, but you still end up being left wondering why it has to be that way!

I have yet to see any suggestion that there is a working solution for replacement of USS function.

Hi all -

Lots of chat in here but I'd be grateful if someone can give me a rundown of "Tesla Vision". Will I have sensor warnings when I'm parking when I collect the car at the weekend?

I have a very tight parking spot where I live and rely on the sensors religiously.

Is it in "beta" or just not here yet? Can't believe my dream car isn't going to have bloody parking sensors for Christ sake.

When i reverse i get the rear and side cameras on the screen, and 2 car width lines on the screen (rear camera) that show the trajectory of the car based on the steering.

No distance calculator, no beeps. No beta mode to try. The last car i owned that didn't have reverse beeps this was a Citroen ZX! But the screen is good and ive had no issues reversing anywhere yet!

Again, going forwards there is nothing. And no front facing camera either. Although i have never owned a car with front facing parking sensors.

And no idea when we might get the elusive update either.

Reactions: H43lio
Hi all -

I think you are going to be stuck with only camera views. I recommend that you practice backing the car up to something soft to see how the camera view matches with reality. Inevitably the rear camera has a wide angle view which means that you think you have more room to play with than is really the case.

When I got my car I had cameras and USS sensors shouting at me… but still made contact with the garage door because I could see a view that looked like I had about a foot to play with when in truth there was only a couple of inches! The good news for you is that once I was familiar with the camera views I could judge my tight positioning at home visually even going beyond the STOP signal from USS without hitting anything!