Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod comment - another thread has been moved into this one as essentially its the same topic, as a result some of the comments might look odd as they're pointing to this thread. An alternative would be to report the new thread to the mods suggesting the thread is merged.

Vision alone as envisaged by musk won't succeed. Cameras do not need to be very high res in order to be able to pick out the data they need to work.

Aren't those two sentences a direct contradiction of one another? I suppose the point you need to refute is Musk's statement that humans can drive without difficulty using just one extremely low resolution swivelling camera (that doesn't capture data while it's moving and actually projects made-up information backwards in time following a saccade).

Reactions: PrGrPa
This has to be a wind up? How did you even buy / lease / insure the car without touching the internet…. ?

1671618590211.png

Reactions: Whyone
Seems unfair. We've had fire for weeks - granted it's only the beta release and can't be relied upon.

Although when I was in business it was south London and I had better things to do than hang onto phone lines listening to 'options'.
To be fair, every time you discover fire in Powys, it rains again and you have to start afresh.

This is beyond stupid... I can run over anything and the car now just ploughs on.. My latest update allowed the car to be turned into a bloody lightshow??? Why are the developers not putting the effort in getting the updates on the cars sensors working?? Does anyone know when this update will arrive!!
Also can USS sensors be fitted by Tesla???

This is beyond stupid... I can run over anything and the car now just ploughs on.. My latest update allowed the car to be turned into a bloody lightshow??? Why are the developers not putting the effort in getting the updates on the cars sensors working?? Does anyone know when this update will arrive!!
Also can USS sensors be fitted by Tesla???
1) Whatever sensors your car has, you're still responsible for driving it. I wouldn't recommend just running stuff over.
1a) USS have a load of limitations, even on a car that has them 1 is true.
2) This is not how software development works. The same developers that do UI bells and whistles are unlikely to be the same team working on core driving functions. The replacement functionality is based on Tesla Vision and the occupancy networks. It's probably blocked behind the supposedly-imminent release of the new TV driving functionality. Also, the lightshow functionality has been in Teslas for at least a year now, they just added the ability to schedule them and one new light show (which anybody can create).
3) Nobody outside Tesla. 'Soon' is all that's been stated, and Tesla Time functions differently than the time the rest of the planet experiences.
4) No. Subject to a major reversal of direction, USS are not coming back on Teslas. The same parking function IS coming back, but it won't be based on USS.

Reactions: Ricecooker
Surely one of the greatest examples of mansplaining ever on this website. A Christmas miracle.
In context the statement ‘I can run over anything and the car just ploughs on’ implies that the USS is responsible for stopping that happening, and this is far from the first post on this topic that pushes that perspective, like Tesla are responsible for any negative outcomes that result from driving without them. The response is appropriate.

Also, I have no idea what gender the person I replied to is, nor do I care since it’s irrelevant to the topic.