Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ignoring the issues with distance estimation consistency and object detection in good conditions, currently on the wet roads covered in autumnal leaves and salt around our home it is taking no more than 10 minutes / ~3 miles of driving before Park Assist declares itself to be 'degraded'.

Until the camera fouling issues are resolved, none of this stuff is going to work in a consistent and helpful manner.

Reactions: Js1977
In the current car build it can never be resolved.
That is very much my expectation.

I do keep proding Tesla Customer Abuse on the issue (and the promises they have made to me over the last 12 months).

This is their latest response to me on the subject of keeping cameras clean, received last week:

"We do not yet have a definitive date for these changes to be implemented.

Trust, the relevant leadership teams, engineering teams and senior designers have been reviewing these concerns and are working towards a future fix.

Thank you for your ongoing patience and cooperation"

Last edited:
I'm naturally pessimistic but I guess it will be interesting to see how good or bad this "3D High Fidelity" view will be. Since the car has no front mounted camera the best the front can be is an approximation of what it has seen as you're driving forwards, like the current Park Assist.

I'm naturally pessimistic but I guess it will be interesting to see how good or bad this "3D High Fidelity" view will be. Since the car has no front mounted camera the best the front can be is an approximation of what it has seen as you're driving forwards, like the current Park Assist.
I am thinking the same. Which means it may give us some insight into what the wobbly lines are trying to tell us which, a the very least, should be good for some comedy value :)

Reactions: Durzel
Hopefully we start seeing some videos of park assist in action on the Cybertruck soon too, be interesting to see how that performs with the additional front bumper cam
I'm sure we'll see them soon enough in a clear, sunny, empty Californian parking lot with a freshly detailed car.
How about a rainy day in London, mid December at 6pm, and a car that hasn't been cleaned for two weeks for a change? Let's stick to real world conditions...

Let's stick to real world conditions...
Like this:

1702030297551.jpeg

You are only parking a car not landing on the moon to have 100 cameras to provide you pristine feedback.

Like this:

You are only parking a car not landing on the moon to have 100 cameras to provide you feedback.
Well I bought a car that advertised it could park itself. 'AutoPark' is pretty much the name. Paid £3400 for the extra and then some.
It's unable to perform as advertised. A 15 year old learner driver could do a better job.
It's not called 'AutoPark in broad daylight if you have a 10 metres gap'.

I don't care how many cameras it takes Tesla. Competitors who use 10 year old Mobileye technology and USS sensors manage to do it better... so....

Very true.

Something USS provided perfectly helpful, reliable guidance for.

Similarly, no sensors at all - reliable and consistent. You know where you are, no problem.

Vision.....none of the above.
Therein lies the root of the issue.

If a visualisation is telling me something surely I should expect to be able to trust it? Otherwise you're better off not having any assistance at all and being forced to use the mirrors like you've got a car from 2005 or something. This is my gripe with current Tesla Vision Park Assist giving actual distance measurements when it's just a guess.

I'll reserve judgement until we see it (assuming USS cars get this at all), but the limitations of the cameras based on where they are positioned is already known. Cars that have 360 degree park assist have cameras in the wing mirrors, etc to provide an accurate feed.

Therein lies the root of the issue.

If a visualisation is telling me something surely I should expect to be able to trust it? Otherwise you're better off not having any assistance at all and being forced to use the mirrors like you've got a car from 2005 or something. This is my gripe with current Tesla Vision Park Assist giving actual distance measurements when it's just a guess.

I'll reserve judgement until we see it (assuming USS cars get this at all), but the limitations of the cameras based on where they are positioned is already known. Cars that have 360 degree park assist have cameras in the wing mirrors, etc to provide an accurate feed.
I guess you watch lots of football punditry :) - VAR and so on - sounds very much like Alan shearer

Vision or no vision (paradox) - You still know where you are in relation to the available space when you are parking - if not I’ll seriously question the driver’s spatial ability!
Indeed.

The issue for me is not parking the car per se.

It is having been sold (demo vehicle / website specification at time of order) a car with a set of features and supplied with a car without these and without a word about this before during or after delivery). Since this point....13 months ago now, I have been fed promise after promise, lie after lie by Tesla....so it is a matter of principle rather than the practicalities of parking the thing.

I have a mid-engined car with the attendant poor rear visibility this layout inevitably brings and no parking aids and I have managed this without issue for 14 years. The manufacturer also treats me with some respect and courtesy which I appreciate all the more after the last year!

There is your answer if you are not happy.
Well I ordered the car before they announced they would remove the sensors. They did promised full feature parity though. Have they achieved this yet? Oh, wait a minute, no!
I know 'Go F* Yourself' if you're not happy is the new Musk motto these days, but sadly, it's not the way it works this side of the pond. Consumer law prevails, here, fortunately.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I have a mid-engined car with the attendant poor rear visibility this layout inevitably brings and no parking aids and I have managed this without issue for 14 years

I am a superb driver (humour me!), and had a car with far better visibility than your Hooligan :) and I still, back in the days before beeping parking sensors were commonplace, managed to back into a small bollard that I couldn't see ... of course the repair cost, back then, was more than the cost of fitting a 3rd party sensor

Well I bought a car that advertised it could park itself. 'AutoPark' is pretty much the name. Paid £3400 for the extra and then some.
It's unable to perform as advertised. A 15 year old learner driver could do a better job.
It's not called 'AutoPark in broad daylight if you have a 10 metres gap'.

I don't care how many cameras it takes Tesla. Competitors who use 10 year old Mobileye technology and USS sensors manage to do it better... so....
I grouse about many things related to my 2018 Model 3 and Tesla in general, but my AutoPark works very, very well. It didn’t work at all for the first two years of ownership but then something happened and with one magical OTA update my car parks itself in all advertised situations, parallel and perpendicular, tight spot or not. On this one feature, I could not be happier.

And yeah, I have working radar, USS, and a now very old software version v2022.20.8 I have no intentions of upgrading.