Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision's Autopilot speed limit reduction from 90 -> 80 MPH has been a pain roadtripping across the country.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how's Vision only AP? Does it do a better job of not speeding up to the set limit rapidly when you can clearly sees a sea of brake lights 1/4 mile ahead? I always thought this is a radar type of problem, and if the car could use the camera, it should know that there is no need to continue driving 75mph when you know that it will come to a almost complete stop in about 5 seconds.
Still does it. I assume FSD beta uses vision only. My car has radar but with FSD beta, the car will still speed up to my set limit when 1/4 mile ahead, all cars are stopped.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
You have to switch lanes between the overtaking lane and cruising lane just like everyone else.
Actually the thing about SoCal driving is that nobody switch lanes. I know that it is opposite of the law or what other countries or states do, but that's just something unique to SoCal. Once in a while, you see a car weaving in the out of lanes going 95 but that's certainly not the norm.

When we were in Europe, they actually use the passing lane as passing lane. It's so strange to see that.

Reactions: Sandor and AlexHung
Actually the thing about SoCal driving is that nobody switch lanes. I know that it is opposite of the law or what other countries or states do, but that's just something unique to SoCal. Once in a while, you see a car weaving in the out of lanes going 95 but that's certainly not the norm.

When we were in Europe, they actually use the passing lane as passing lane. It's so strange to see that.
Its not a race to the bottom. Once you are finished with overtaking, leave the passing lane.

The European way works well in Europe. In California there's a conflict between the concept of "passing lane" and actual practice. People tend to "get it and forget it". Stay in a lane in cruise control. Maddening as it can be, it is standard practice.

There's a setting to make NOA automatically leave the passing lane, and it does it just fine. But where all lanes are considered equal, the result is terrible. I use "no-confirmation lane changes" with "mad max". Works great. BUT if you add the "leave passing lane" option, the car will change lanes to find the fastest lane, including the leftmost "passing" one, then relinquish it "on principle" and start over hunting. It's called weaving. Pass the dramamine. Better to drop that setting and make the choice on your own with the turn signals and the "speed wheel".

As to dropping radar, I do understand the difficulties of integrating two sensor dimensions. But it was actually working pretty well, and making such a drastic change so far into development struck me as imposed from above and unwise. We'll be dealing with side effects for a good while. Like the dance of the high beams at night, and (apparently) reduced ability at high speed. I dunno.

Overall, I believe that NOA has gotten more human, more assertive and smoother of late. But the OP's objection is perfectly valid. Let's hope the 80mph limit can safely be removed soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Need
The European way works well in Europe. In California there's a conflict between the concept of "passing lane" and actual practice. People tend to "get it and forget it". Stay in a lane in cruise control. Maddening as it can be, it is standard practice.

There's a setting to make NOA automatically leave the passing lane, and it does it just fine. But where all lanes are considered equal, the result is terrible. I use "no-confirmation lane changes" with "mad max". Works great. BUT if you add the "leave passing lane" option, the car will change lanes to find the fastest lane, including the leftmost "passing" one, then relinquish it "on principle" and start over hunting. It's called weaving. Pass the dramamine. Better to drop that setting and make the choice on your own with the turn signals and the "speed wheel".

As to dropping radar, I do understand the difficulties of integrating two sensor dimensions. But it was actually working pretty well, and making such a drastic change so far into development struck me as imposed from above and unwise. We'll be dealing with side effects for a good while. Like the dance of the high beams at night, and (apparently) reduced ability at high speed. I dunno.

Overall, I believe that NOA has gotten more human, more assertive and smoother of late. But the OP's objection is perfectly valid. Let's hope the 80mph limit can safely be removed soon.

well you kinda have to distance yourself from that/their behaviour and hopefully other drivers eventually follow suit and you guys eventually get derestricted limits or higher limits with better driving dicipline.

edit: I live in australia now and im very much on the recieving end of this **** too... Undertaking is normal here and people drive wherever they want (undertaking is legal in aus but drivers must stick to the outside lane). But that does not mean I have to take part in it.

The other thing I noticed is that my other Tesla with HW3 has been acting strange with AP following distance last month or 2 with software updates. By strange, I mean it is inconsistent. For the last 4 years, we had the distance set at 4 and left it at that. For the last 2 months, we have to keep adjusting it from 4 to 2 to 7.. and none of them work well at different speed. I wonder if this is because it is doing vision only. My other car with HW2.5 does not do that.
Yes, also seen this for the past 2 months. AP has gotten quite bad in heavy traffic as the distance it keeps to the next car is not right. Either too long and people cuts in or it gets close and then brakes too hard. Very annoying. Used to work very well…

Yes, also seen this for the past 2 months. AP has gotten quite bad in heavy traffic as the distance it keeps to the next car is not right. Either too long and people cuts in or it gets close and then brakes too hard. Very annoying. Used to work very well…
Do you have HW3.0, HW2.5, or HW2.0? I found that my Model 3 which still has HW2.5 is working just as well as before. The one that does not work well in the last 2 months is our Model X that was updated from HW2.0 to HW3.0.

Wait, so you had to move to the passing lane to pass, and then move back out of it to let others pass you?

Just kidding. ;)

As a regular long-haul road tripper, I absolutely agree with your point about 80 being a little low. I opted back out of the FSD Beta request so that my radar wouldn’t get disabled. My car continues to have a 90 MPH speed limit on Autopilot.
How did you opt out of FSD program? I tried to toggle off it in the car, but it didn’t change it back to my 90 mph for AP. I just picked up a 2021 Plaid and have been disappointed that the “vision” FSD isn’t what I’d hoped. Not having 90 mph really made for a long 1400 mile road trip when I went to pick the car up. :-/

How did you opt out of FSD program? I tried to toggle off it in the car, but it didn’t change it back to my 90 mph for AP. I just picked up a 2021 Plaid and have been disappointed that the “vision” FSD isn’t what I’d hoped. Not having 90 mph really made for a long 1400 mile road trip when I went to pick the car up. :-/
Toggle it off is not disenrolling it.

You need to click where you used to request to enroll.

You have to send an email to [email protected] asking to opt out. Then you get an automated reply saying that if you want out you need to reply with your VIN. Then you reply with your VIN. Then you wait and cross your fingers that someone at Tesla actually does something about it.

I’m my case, I sent 4 emails over 10 days before I finally got opted out on Day #11. And good riddance.

Side note: we’re coming up on one full year of Tesla Vision and its accompanying limitations on Autopilot set speed and following distance. I wonder how much more uproar there would’ve been a year ago if people knew it would take so long and still not have parity with (older) radar-equipped vehicles.