TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Volunteer Network

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by VIKING26, Aug 14, 2016.

1. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

Like a lot of people on TMC, I am passionate about Tesla and its success. I'm not in a position to work for Tesla at this time, but I would still like to help out. I'm a M3 reservation holder and I want to see the vehicle get to production as soon as possible. I hold a Masters degree in Mechanical Eng. and I believe I could at least help out with some low priority drawings for them a few hours per week. I feel that I am not alone in this thinking. Would Tesla ever consider incorporating a volunteer network to help out?

Obviously there are drawbacks to this free labor - a potential for information getting leaked to the public, no deadlines, etc. Maybe it is not worth it for something interns can do, but if done correctly it might be an opportunity for Tesla to work with their passionate fan base and speed things up.

• Funny x 1
  2. SDRick

SDRick Member

I was thinking along similar lines. It's a great idea but perhaps difficult to implement. Also, given our current regulatory environment, it's probably illegal.

3. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

Other ways to support Tesla:

- Be an advocate online and IRL
    - Support the political debate with states that have banned direct sales
    - Buy Tesla products!

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  4. GSP

GSP Member

Great ideas Ryan.

Another way to help Tesla, and EVs in general: Help get destination chargers installed. Everything including 14-50 outlets, HPWCs, and J1772. Even Chademo fast chargers.

GSP

• Like x 2
  5. J_Harrington

J_Harrington Member

Thoughts on how to help get these installed?

6. f-stop

f-stop Member

If you want to be an advocate for EVs in general - perfect timing to get involved in National Drive Electric Week 2016
    Sept 10-18, 2016

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. 22522

22522 Member

#7 22522, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    They are doing a lot of things. They have to do an 80/20 and deliver to meet the needs of 80 percent of the customers. This presents an opportunity.

One approach is to look for unmet needs consistent with employer capabilities. For example:

My employer has shipped over a million power converters that are ~96% efficient and have a demonstrated field reliability (MTBF) of 8 million hours. This capability can be lined up to deliver apartment friendly charging systems that are much more efficient than anything on the market today.

A working prototype, with a clear path to production, is something Tesla may be interested in. It grows their market, is consistent with sustainable transportation and let's them focus on other areas.

Another approach is to contribute developed ideas into the public domain. Publication is very time intensive, but SAE will provide a forum if you are adding to general knowledge. Submit an abstract and see if it is accepted. For example:

I spent a fraction of my annual vacation on a conceptual design for a battery electric midsize SUV that supports multi rider commutes and exception range through low aerodynamic drag. Some useful ideas and appreciations fell out:

1) An obsession with acoustics (53 dB ambient noise is needed if you want to include all 4 riders in the conversation)
    2) An electric rear drivetrain coincident with an 800 mm wide cargo floor 300 mm above ground level are possible, if you want to roll in motorcycles and wheelchairs. (No hub motors are needed, but you have to work hard to keep the half shafts long enough to avoid noise issues).
    3) An incredible simplification and acceleration of the passenger vehicle design process. If you locate every driver's eyes at an identical location, the car is better for everybody and you don't need adjustable mirrors or adjustable head up displays or a lot of other things. The passenger experience just gets a lot better than when the geometry between passengers is anchored by pedals at the firewall - but you have to have enough wheelbase to not double book the space behind the driver's seat.

So, you can do work and may strike out, or get a hit, by working with the process capabilities that your employer brings, or by working on personal time to address problems too far out in time for companies to fund.

I hope this helps, but it is no sure bet.

8. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Member

Ask for charging wherever you go: hotels/motels on trips, local shops/malls, restaurants, venues, etc.

After asking you'll need to educate, all this will make a difference in getting high power charging as ubiquitous as gas stations.

• Like x 1
  9. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Volunteer work for a for profit organisation???
    I think you will ruin the labour market by doing things other people can do while providing for their families. I think there are better ways to volunteer, like organising things for the local EV club, advocating to install charger at local level etc..

10. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I mention it and share this link: Destination Charging .
    Two of my frequented day trip wineries signed up and one owner used my referral code and ordered himself an S. :cool:

• Funny x 1
  11. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

I believe Tesla is already in the process of disrupting a lot of what for profit organizations do.

I'm not talking about displacing an entire engineering department, just a few hours per week. Ruining the labor market is a little dramatic.

I'm already a part of a few non-profit groups that are promoting EVs.

12. J_Harrington

J_Harrington Member

Appreciate the link. Had not heard of it prior, yet just looked and is an event in my city (just a few miles from my house). I signed up to attend.

13. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I volunteer to work on non-drivetrain software for free, as long as I can pick the areas. I can think of a half-dozen tweaks and improvements I could make in a few weeks of spare time.