Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VP Engineering takes leave of absence...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. “Journalists” will claim it’s the end of the company, shorts will claim it spells doom, but he’s probably just tired of 80 hr work weeks and needs some time off.

But guarantee this will be overdramatized and people will make a mountain out of nothing.

Reactions: EinSV
I thought it was interesting that Doug was famous for leading the campaign against the haters, meanwhile he was one of most prolific sellers, every single month like clockwork. A classic example of talking out both sides of ones mouth and now he’s gone.

This is just plain smart for anyone with less than 3 commas in their bank statements. The amount of long-term invested grants likely dwarf each quarterly vest and there’s little reason not to diversify no matter how much you like your employer. This is especially true at a hyper growth tech company with a demanding boss who likes to run on the edge. Even a single bad quarter could send the stock down 50%+. I’ve been through a few of those days and have watched coworkers loose millions in paper money.

Nick

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Ron Baron (major Tesla investor) reported today that Doug Fields is on a 6-8 week sabbatical and will return to work on the Model Y.

And he also mentioned media bias with reporting Tesla crashes, and, not surprisingly, that point was totally ignored.

A not so surprisingly high number of repeated reports today popping up in Fidelity ATP on the crash last Friday, as well as other Tesla negative news. Not one peep though on all of the other crashes and fires on other manufacturers cars, ever.

Media bias? Say it isn't so.

Reactions: EinSV
this thread should be good
o.png

An example of shitty engineering at Tesla and their unwillingness to fix it:

Goodmorning Service Advisor(SA),

Per our conversation at 8:30am this morning here is a detail of my frustrations with service which have failed to be remedied by Tesla and it's engineers. If these problems don't create a "moat," I don't know what does. I doubt Elon would approve of this and if something isn't done about these issues, I will issue my complaints in the form of an open letter up the chain.

Generation 1 rear Camber Issue:

1) Went in for alignment on 04.25.18 and service advisor in Indianapolis advised right rear cannot be brought into spec because toe link, knuckle and control arm need replacing because they're bent most likely due to a pothole. Was given estimate on invoice number 300000341045 to replace "bent" parts. $1,865.00

2) Filed claim with my insurance company for the pothole to get reimbursed for the damage. Insurance company approved the claim and I will likely have a raise in insurance rates because a pothole counts as a collision where the driver is at fault. Insurance paid out the claim.

3) Service completed by Tesla Indianapolis on 05.04.18. Service experience was great but was advised subsequently that there is no way to get the alignment perfect. Right rear camber is still visibly out of line. SA advised this is a problem with the early Model S cars and that it can only be fixed by installing third party parts. He advised the entire motor has to be dropped and I advised I didn't want to do anything which would risk the powertrain warranty being voided. I currently rotate my tires religiously but I'm only getting around 10,000 miles out of my $1,100 set of 4 21" Continental tires. I would like the camber issue to be remedied so I can get up to 30,000 miles out of my tires. The SC and SA have done their jobs wonderfully and it is not their fault. This is a systemic issue at Tesla which needs to be remedied systemically. I should not have to install third-party components to get a proper alignment which doesn't cause premature wear of my tires due to a camber which is "in spec." I'm definately not the only one having this issue as the SA advised.

DC to DC Converter Fuse:

1) The AC compressor recently went out and blew the fuse in the dc-to-dc converter. I was informed by the service center that replacement of the dc-to-dc converter would cost at least $2,000. In addition.

2) I's likely that the cause of failure for the dc-to-dc converter was the AC compressor. So to replace a $5 fuse in the dc-to-dc converter which blew because the AC compressor went out, it would cost at least $2,000. In addition, when this replacement takes place Tesla will keep the old dc-to-dc converter and send it to be a remanufactured and subsequently sold to another Tesla customer for $1,100 . I understand this is a big money-making opportunity for Tesla but it is creating a lot of ill-will with owners. Why doesn't Tesla make it so this fuse can more easily be replaced by the service center on the Generation 1 dc-to-dc converter? There is a simple answer here. Tesla is making a lot of money to replace this $5 fuse.

3) I have purchased both parts that are used, working and come with a warranty on EBay. Tesla is not willing to fix the problem by redesigning the Generation 1 dc-to-dc converter so the fuses can be easily replaced like the generation 2 dc-to-dc converter. Unfortunately, the generation 2 dc-to-dc converter cannot be installed in the older Tesla's. If you're not going to allow the service center to install used parts that we buy and send our old ones in to be remanufactured so we may replace them in the future then please update the part so we may replace the fuse.

Easy necessary remedies:

Gen 1 Rear Camber Issue:

1) If a 3rd party manufacturer can issue parts to fix the camber issue, so can Tesla.

Gen 1 dc-to-dc converter fuse.

1) Update this part to make the fuses replaceable at the service center without replacing the entire dc-to-dc converter.

Finally, do Tesla owner really have to sue for a right to work on their own cars?
Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

I'd really like to install these simple components myself, which are a result of bad engineering, but I don't wan't to void my powertrain warranty or risk any other penalties Tesla may impose on me for installing these simple components. I don't have air conditioning and it's getting really hot out and the battery needs the A/C compressor to cool it during these times. I'M NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER RIGHT NOW. PLEASE HELP JON!

I await your reply and remedy,

Ryan

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Goodmorning Service Advisor(SA),

Per our conversation at 8:30am this morning here is a detail of my frustrations with service which have failed to be remedied by Tesla and it's engineers. If these problems don't create a "moat," I don't know what does. I doubt Elon would approve of this and if something isn't done about these issues, I will issue my complaints in the form of an open letter up the chain.

Generation 1 rear Camber Issue:

1) Went in for alignment on 04.25.18 and service advisor in Indianapolis advised right rear cannot be brought into spec because toe link, knuckle and control arm need replacing because they're bent most likely due to a pothole. Was given estimate on invoice number 300000341045 to replace "bent" parts. $1,865.00

2) Filed claim with my insurance company for the pothole to get reimbursed for the damage. Insurance company approved the claim and I will likely have a raise in insurance rates because a pothole counts as a collision where the driver is at fault. Insurance paid out the claim.

3) Service completed by Tesla Indianapolis on 05.04.18. Service experience was great but was advised subsequently that there is no way to get the alignment perfect. Right rear camber is still visibly out of line. SA advised this is a problem with the early Model S cars and that it can only be fixed by installing third party parts. He advised the entire motor has to be dropped and I advised I didn't want to do anything which would risk the powertrain warranty being voided. I currently rotate my tires religiously but I'm only getting around 10,000 miles out of my $1,100 set of 4 21" Continental tires. I would like the camber issue to be remedied so I can get up to 30,000 miles out of my tires. The SC and SA have done their jobs wonderfully and it is not their fault. This is a systemic issue at Tesla which needs to be remedied systemically. I should not have to install third-party components to get a proper alignment which doesn't cause premature wear of my tires due to a camber which is "in spec." I'm definately not the only one having this issue as the SA advised.

DC to DC Converter Fuse:

1) The AC compressor recently went out and blew the fuse in the dc-to-dc converter. I was informed by the service center that replacement of the dc-to-dc converter would cost at least $2,000. In addition.

2) I's likely that the cause of failure for the dc-to-dc converter was the AC compressor. So to replace a $5 fuse in the dc-to-dc converter which blew because the AC compressor went out, it would cost at least $2,000. In addition, when this replacement takes place Tesla will keep the old dc-to-dc converter and send it to be a remanufactured and subsequently sold to another Tesla customer for $1,100 . I understand this is a big money-making opportunity for Tesla but it is creating a lot of ill-will with owners. Why doesn't Tesla make it so this fuse can more easily be replaced by the service center on the Generation 1 dc-to-dc converter? There is a simple answer here. Tesla is making a lot of money to replace this $5 fuse.

3) I have purchased both parts that are used, working and come with a warranty on EBay. Tesla is not willing to fix the problem by redesigning the Generation 1 dc-to-dc converter so the fuses can be easily replaced like the generation 2 dc-to-dc converter. Unfortunately, the generation 2 dc-to-dc converter cannot be installed in the older Tesla's. If you're not going to allow the service center to install used parts that we buy and send our old ones in to be remanufactured so we may replace them in the future then please update the part so we may replace the fuse.

Easy necessary remedies:

Gen 1 Rear Camber Issue:

1) If a 3rd party manufacturer can issue parts to fix the camber issue, so can Tesla.

Gen 1 dc-to-dc converter fuse.

1) Update this part to make the fuses replaceable at the service center without replacing the entire dc-to-dc converter.

Finally, do Tesla owner really have to sue for a right to work on their own cars?
Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

I'd really like to install these simple components myself, which are a result of bad engineering, but I don't wan't to void my powertrain warranty or risk any other penalties Tesla may impose on me for installing these simple components. I don't have air conditioning and it's getting really hot out and the battery needs the A/C compressor to cool it during these times. I'M NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER RIGHT NOW. PLEASE HELP JON!

I await your reply and remedy,

Ryan

Tesla's Reply:

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Scott Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

Good afternoon Ryan, and thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey regarding your visit.

We certainly understand your frustration, and rely on this feedback to improve how we do things, both locally at the Service Center and beyond. Regarding the rear camber of your vehicle, we ensured that it was within specification prior to releasing the vehicle to you. These specifications are designed to allow for an extremely small amount of variance while still ensuring your handling, safety, and tire wear remain consistent. Additionally, thank you for understanding that installing a part purchased outside of Tesla is extremely dangerous, and we don’t want to risk the well-being of you, your vehicle, or our team during service.

While we were not able to achieve the results you desired, we will do that all that we can to ensure your experience moving forward is an excellent one. Let me know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Best,

Scott Brown | Service Concierge | Indianapolis
8280 Castleton Corner Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46250
p 317.814.6667 | e [email protected]

24 Hour Support | 877.79.Tesla

The content of this message is the proprietary and confidential property of Tesla, and should be treated as such. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your computer system and notify me immediately by reply e-mail. Any unauthorized use or distribution of the content of this message is prohibited. Thank you.

Scott:
Do I have to sue for a "right to work" on my own car then or just take it to a Massachusettes Tesla where Tesla owners have already sued and won? Seems like I would win a lawsuit in Indiana easily given we are in a conservative state. Will you guys release the service specs I need to replace these two simple parts, force me to sue or agree to replace these parts with the ones I've already purchased off Ebay with warranties?

Sending insincere messages that do little to solve the actual problem I'm having only serve to upset the customer more. If you were driving around without A/C risking battery overheat which would void the powertrain warranty if you didn't cough up $5K you'd truly empathize, I'm sure. I know you mean well, Scott and you're a good guy but I don't have $5K to throw at this problem because of Tesla's shitty engineering they're not will to fix and make excuses like this. I'm driving around with the parts to fix it without the ability to install them because I don't have the cash. I just paid $1,900 to learn that the engineering flaw with the gen 1 camper can't be fixed without third party parts. This is absolutely unacceptable!
cleardot.gif

Ryan

Back on topic
Probably hit their goals, and now he'd rather sleep next to his wife than next to Elon on the factory floor.
Absolutely, correcto-mundo!!
hitting 4,000 TM3's per week produced at Fremont

When Jerome Guillen took a leave of absence, there were those who said he had left for good. He returned to lead the Semi effort. So, it's not that far-fetched for Doug's departure to be temporary as well.

Hear, Hear.....the prodigal son will return in due course

Ron Baron (major Tesla investor) reported today that Doug Field is on a 6-8 week sabbatical and will return to work on the Model Y.

Tesla is running at light-speed, billionaire Ron Baron says

Y Not, Y Yes....Y not, Y Yes...Y not...Y yes!!