Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VPP vs Ohmconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just interpreting that as saying, if you have a negative baseline (negative average usage), you have a negative baseline. Meaning you have to go even further negative from that baseline to get compensated, and similarly for Ohmconnect to get compensated from the providers. Just like solar.

Which would be consistent with what we've been saying, that if you're already using Export Everything daily, you won't benefit from an OhmHour, since you won't have any further reduction. Do you read it differently?

I find their wording a bit awkward, regarding "customers with solar", as they don't do anything specifically beneficial to solar-only customers, it's more punitive the way they calculate streaks and bonuses.
This was definitely not true in the past. The reason why Ohmconnect wasn't compensated was because the demand-reduction program they were bidding on treats all negative numbers as 0, irrespective of magnitude. I don't know if this has changed in the newer programs, since the ELRP now does compensate for negative (and increasing negative) numbers. I believe demand-reduction and ELRP are separate programs with different rules even though they have some similarities.

This was definitely not true in the past. The reason why Ohmconnect wasn't compensated was because the demand-reduction program they were bidding on treats all negative numbers as 0, irrespective of magnitude. I don't know if this has changed in the newer programs, since the ELRP now does compensate for negative (and increasing negative) numbers. I believe demand-reduction and ELRP are separate programs with different rules even though they have some similarities.
Ah, got it, I didn't know about the negative number thing. However, given that OhmHours for at least 3 years have pretty much been after 5pm, there was very little negative baseline from solar, yet they still had a punitive policy for solar users in place. But I get it if Powerwalls are now starting to generative negative consumption and causing challenges with compensation.

I been trying to use ohmconnect and it seems backwards. It expects me to use electricity before an event to count. It should be giving me watts to make sure i dont turn anything on.

Sounds like everyone just turns all their *sugar* on right before events which completely negates the purpose of the event.

I can not wait for VPP to open up to get away from this scam

I can not wait for VPP to open up to get away from this scam
FYI, the VPP works in a similar way. The compensation is still based on how much you exported compared to a typical day (see here: Emergency Load Reduction Pilot | Tesla Support). The biggest difference is that it is based purely on Powerwall charge/discharge. Usage from the grid is ignored.

Reactions: garrity