Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs A2Z CCS adaptes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any pros or cons of buying the Tesla vs A2Z CCS adapter? I have 2022 MY that has CCS enabled. I ordered the Tesla adapter but looking for some guidance to see if I should return it and buy A2Z.
My prime concern with 3rd party adapter is any chance that will Tesla lock it out through firmware upgrades later and also I heard that one charging network atleast said something similar to no 3rd party adapter usage etc.

Reactions: RB7_M3P
There is information out that the A2Z CCS Type 1 adapter is rated for up to 150kW, the Tesla CCS Type 1 adapter is rated for up to 250kW. The Tesla CCS adapter may, in the future, enable charging at the higher rate.

CCS1 adapter from A2Z
A2z is now 250kw rated.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
personally I'd rather get the OEM version when the price is so close, if you want the a2z version you can just go on alibaba and buy it directly from the Chinese manufacturer for less
Systemr,
thanks for your opinion. I went with the same thought process aswell. As I was checking out I saw videos from bearded tesla guy and so forth, that showed that the tesla adapter was getting hotter than A2Z adapter and the build quality was better for the A2Z adapter. Thats why I am a bit confused and seeking opinions.

Any pros or cons of buying the Tesla vs A2Z CCS adapter? I have 2022 MY that has CCS enabled. I ordered the Tesla adapter but looking for some guidance to see if I should return it and buy A2Z.
My prime concern with 3rd party adapter is any chance that will Tesla lock it out through firmware upgrades later and also I heard that one charging network atleast said something similar to no 3rd party adapter usage etc.

Both the A2Z and Tesla adapters are passive. It cannot be locked out by Tesla.

I have an A2Z. I’ve only tested it twice. In both cases I got approx. 35kW on a 50kW charger. 50% SOC and no preconditioning with temperature below freezing.

What I did learn was how happy I am to have access to the SC network. I would not want to rely on CCS. At least in Ontario.

• Informative
Reactions: Smytty and Rocky_H
Both the A2Z and Tesla adapters are passive. It cannot be locked out by Tesla.

I have an A2Z. I’ve only tested it twice. In both cases I got approx. 35kW on a 50kW charger. 50% SOC and no preconditioning with temperature below freezing.

What I did learn was how happy I am to have access to the SC network. I would not want to rely on CCS. At least in Ontario.
so it's expected you don't get max power, tesla is a 400V system vs 500V I think most CCS DCFS are, see #5: Your vehicle’s current and voltage limits. That being said I've gotten 210KW on a 350KW DCFS at low state of charge.

I agree SC is better in reliability and speed, however CCS can be much cheaper if you don't go to SC during "off peak". I use CCS for local charging (don't have a home charger) and SC on road trips

Reactions: NRVM3