Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs BMW i3 test drove both back to back.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we went over this stuff, but I have to summarize. And I am so frustrated that the i3 has a tiny gas tank, and they did that for a bad reason.

The i3 is kind of like a volt, except they gave the i3 a less than 2 gallon gas tank to satisfy a california ev rebate rule; the volt has 40 mile battery range, the i3 has 80 odd miles. That is a frustrating limitation on the i3. If the i3 had a regular car gas tank like the volt, then it would be superior to the volt because it has double the electric range; its hard to pick a winner on current cars. The i3 is probably a little more expensive than the volt. The volt is more expensive than the leaf (leaf has double electric range of volt).

The i3 is stupidly constrained by its tiny gas tank. the volt needs longer range in its next version. So does the leaf.

I test drove the i3 about 2 weeks ago. I've had two LEAF's, a Volt, and a Tesla Roadster. Our LEAF lease is ending soon and we were looking at the i3 to replace it. I really, really, really wanted to like it - and, I did, but not enough to buy or lease it.

I do think it looks better in person than in pictures - funky, futuristic, attention-grabbing for better or for worse. The back seat was much roomier than I thought. There is good headroom. It is a tall car. There is a decent amount of cargo space with the seats folded down. The frunk is tiny. I was neutral on the suicide doors, but the inability to open or even vent the rear windows is a mistake. The interior materials are nice (I think I was in a Terraworld trim) and with an appreciated emphasis on sustainability. The wood paneling was a nice touch, but the displays were disappointing. They seemed very basic and clunky - although I did not mess with them too much. The Model S display is just so high tech and elegant nothing compares. However, I do like the simplicity and info provided on the Volt display, even the LEAF is okay . Perhaps my opinion of the i3 displays would change with time and experience.

The steering wheel is HUGE (although compared to a Roadster MOMO steering wheel, any steering wheel is huge) and did not seem to tilt low enough for a comfortable angle. The Frankenplug quick charger is disappointing. There are zero in my area and very few in the country at this time. Phoenix does have a good number of CHAdeMO charging stations in the area.

I didn't take it through too many turns so I can't speak to the handling much, but I felt a little awkward being so high. The car is quick - not Tesla fast, of course, but as compared to the other EV's in the market, the i3 feels like a grown up LEAF that went to a really nice college and is starting a promising career

In short, to me the i3 felt like a luxury 2011 LEAF. It's a great start, but it's 2014 and it simply not worth the $50K, (Low $40K post federal tax credit) price tag with a rated range of only 81 miles. If the car had a 150 mile range or so, I might have bought it, but for the prices, features, range, currently useless quick charging port, it simply did not add up for my wife and me.

I am actually selling my Volt and buying a used 2013 Model S 85 instead. We're going to be a two Tesla family. After driving EV's since 2011 and owning several of them, my wife and I have opined that Tesla has simply raised the bar too high. If finances allow, it's hard to drive anything else.

... and buying a used 2013 Model S 85 instead.
Used MS60 and MS85 will be a tough competition for MEVs (MEV = miserable EV) in a few years time.
Why buy a new MEV if for the same price you get a few years old MS85?
Does being new really overweighs three times less range, three time less perfomance, three time less space, three time less luxury and three time less charging options? Not for me.

One other dislike on the i3 is the regen braking. This is not adjustable and very noticeable. I am sure the reason is to recapture as much power as possible but it is too much in my opinion with no option to disable or adjust.

I actually wish the Model S had an even stronger regen brake. You can always control the exact amount of regen from none to maximum by modulating the pedal correctly.

I am just against anything with a gas engine as a long term solution, but until the charging infrastructure and standards are resolved this (and similar vehicles like the Volt/ELR/Karma) will be the only way some people who have range anxiety will buy into the electric car genre.

I test drove the i3 about 2 weeks ago. I've had two LEAF's, a Volt, and a Tesla Roadster. Our LEAF lease is ending soon and we were looking at the i3 to replace it. I really, really, really wanted to like it - and, I did, but not enough to buy or lease it.

I do think it looks better in person than in pictures - funky, futuristic, attention-grabbing for better or for worse. The back seat was much roomier than I thought. There is good headroom. It is a tall car. There is a decent amount of cargo space with the seats folded down. The frunk is tiny. I was neutral on the suicide doors, but the inability to open or even vent the rear windows is a mistake. The interior materials are nice (I think I was in a Terraworld trim) and with an appreciated emphasis on sustainability. The wood paneling was a nice touch, but the displays were disappointing. They seemed very basic and clunky - although I did not mess with them too much. The Model S display is just so high tech and elegant nothing compares. However, I do like the simplicity and info provided on the Volt display, even the LEAF is okay . Perhaps my opinion of the i3 displays would change with time and experience.

The steering wheel is HUGE (although compared to a Roadster MOMO steering wheel, any steering wheel is huge) and did not seem to tilt low enough for a comfortable angle. The Frankenplug quick charger is disappointing. There are zero in my area and very few in the country at this time. Phoenix does have a good number of CHAdeMO charging stations in the area.

I didn't take it through too many turns so I can't speak to the handling much, but I felt a little awkward being so high. The car is quick - not Tesla fast, of course, but as compared to the other EV's in the market, the i3 feels like a grown up LEAF that went to a really nice college and is starting a promising career

In short, to me the i3 felt like a luxury 2011 LEAF. It's a great start, but it's 2014 and it simply not worth the $50K, (Low $40K post federal tax credit) price tag with a rated range of only 81 miles. If the car had a 150 mile range or so, I might have bought it, but for the prices, features, range, currently useless quick charging port, it simply did not add up for my wife and me.

I am actually selling my Volt and buying a used 2013 Model S 85 instead. We're going to be a two Tesla family. After driving EV's since 2011 and owning several of them, my wife and I have opined that Tesla has simply raised the bar too high. If finances allow, it's hard to drive anything else.

This almost exactly how I felt. Big miss in my opinion by BMW (and every one else except Tesla). 150 miles of range minimum is what is needed.

I might have missed this somewhere but I'm curious to know how the i3 works when you have two journeys - one of 80miles and then one of 150miles. You know this before you set out..........

So for the shorter drive you want to use EV only - can you/do you deactivate the REX?

For the longer journey do you just wait till the battery is nearly depleted and rely on BMW to start the REX and you have to poodle along with the REX OR can you request that the REX runs from the beginning of the longer trip to keep the battery charge high and give full performance??

This would require a driver selection of anticipated journey length before setting out!

Couldn't you already travel Canada for free on the Sun Country Highway? Just need dual chargers on an S to make it in better time... After all, they've already done this trip in a Roadster.

Possible and practical are two different things. Even if you can find 80 A service everywhere (you can't), that's still only 16 kW generally (208 V circuit sags to 200 V under load). 16 kWh will generally get you about 80 km. So you're charging at 80 km/h. It's about 4800 km across most of Canada (say Montreal to Vancouver), so you'd be charging for 60 hours and driving for about 48. If you're charging at 40 A it would be 120 hours of charging and 48 hours of driving.

Even worse, in more than one location there is only one option, so if it's taken or not working you're pretty much hosed. For example, Thunder Bay to Dryden, 350 km with absolutely no charging alternatives in between; and what happens if the charger at the Best Western in Dryden is broken or taken? The next one's 140 km further, in Kenora! 490 km without charging? Sounds like fun.

Rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and WATER.

So, while it's great that it is possible, I would not set out on such a trip unless I was ok with really taking my time on the way back, including possibly spending an extra day or three in Northern Ontario.

I coincidentally had the same thing happen last weekend. I was at east bay bmw driving their i3, and I missed a call during the drive from tesla. I called my client advisor back ( I was still making the decision to put a deposit in or not) and he asked if it was a good time to take an s home for the night. ( I had talked to them about wanting to experience the car for an extended period).. Bolted over to the factory store and picked it up... Best Father's Day ever