TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla VS BMW: ridiculous article from CNN/Fortune

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by PhilBa, Jul 25, 2013.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

2. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

But their conclusion was advantage Tesla.

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

huh? I see no overall conclusion. In fact, the most telling line (about the authors bias) is "That's all about to change", implying that high flying tesla is about get grounded.

4. evme

evme Member

The doesn't help when they write fud like this:

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

WTF? No mention of Model S $90k price tag, and head AND NECK snapping acceleration -- zero to 60 in around 4 seconds? Not to mention it is already in market?

6. dm33

dm33 Member

Incredibly bad article. I do wonder what it takes to get published these days. Or maybe these folks are totally over their heads if there's anything remotely having to do with technology.

I lost it when they said tesla hasn't been through a downturn. Like 2008 didn't count but was enough to make GM and Chrysler go bankrupt, yet tesla survived... just barely.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Well which is it? Are they "upwards" of $72k or $90k? WTB consistency in professional publications.

8. Soflason

Soflason Member

9. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#9 PhilBa, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    There is another point that I think bears much closer scrutiny - distribution. The old model is the dealer network. However, the Tesla model of direct to consumers is totally disruptive which is why the dealers are fighting it. The author clearly sees this as a big negative for Tesla. But, the direct model leaves more profit in the automakers pocket so it is highly desirable. Also, the process of buying a car online is something that I believe most Americans (most consumers anywhere for that matter) will come to expect. Being able to pick out your features and order your car just the way you want it is such a fantastic experience. I didn't have to take the blue one because it was on the lot - I got exactly what I wanted. Once there is real competition, at least in theory, direct sales should benefit the consumer in lower prices. But until that point, it looks like an advantage for Tesla.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the other automakers can't move to the direct model easily because they need to keep their dealer networks happy. It's very hard to pivot your distribution model when billions in revenue are at stake.

I believe that in 10 years, this change in distribution will be viewed as equally significant as any of the technological innovations of Tesla.

10. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Starting at $72k and selling for an average of $90k is probably not far from the truth. That's how I read it anyway.