TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla vs. other car's battery management system on cold starts

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mattack4000, Aug 27, 2018.

1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Is it me or does it seem like Tesla's battery consumption is extremely high on cold start compare to other cars? I know it is because of the battery heater, but is Tesla heating their battery so much quicker than other companies that it causes a noticeable drop in range on short cold start? I recently picked up a Volt for short trips around town (<2 miles at slow speed). The car is using noticeably less energy than the other Tesla power cars I have. I am sure it helps that the Tesla cars are faster and more power, but I am pretty sure it comes down to the battery heating system. What do you guys think?

• Disagree x 1
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

How cold is cold?

When the ambient temperature is 100F, 90F, 80F, 70F, 60F ???

3. mattack4000

Any temp 50-100, the Tesla just seems to burn a lot of energy heating the battery on initial starts

4. David99

David99 Active Member

Tesla heats the battery with a dedicated heater if it's below 8 degree Celsius. The car will drive when the battery is cooler but the power it is able to deliver is compromised. Regen is limited as well. If the battery is zero degree Celsius or lower it will not charge. To be able to charge you have to wait for the battery heater to warm up the battery to be above 0 C.

What people always confuse is the ambient temperature and battery temperature. The battery temperature is not shown to the driver. Guessing the battery temperature based on ambient temperature is impossible. In most cases the battery is warmer than ambient. Especially if the car was driven recently.

I collected some data from the battery last winter. Here is my post about it.
    Energy consumption for Preheating

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

My question is just how are you determining the initial power draw?

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Tesla uses an algorithim to determine the most efficient battery condition. If it is more efficient to cool or heat a battery, then that is what it will do. If it is more efficient to just draw from the battery at it's ambient temperature, that is what it will do

7. mattack4000

Look at the power draw on your trip meter, it’s always high first five minutes

8. David99

David99 Active Member

Not sure I understand the question. The car decides how much heating power the battery needs. If you mean how I measured it, I used a CAN bus reader called 'Scan my Tesla'. It shows you all kinds of technical data from the car.