Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs. other car's battery management system on cold starts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me or does it seem like Tesla's battery consumption is extremely high on cold start compare to other cars? I know it is because of the battery heater, but is Tesla heating their battery so much quicker than other companies that it causes a noticeable drop in range on short cold start? I recently picked up a Volt for short trips around town (<2 miles at slow speed). The car is using noticeably less energy than the other Tesla power cars I have. I am sure it helps that the Tesla cars are faster and more power, but I am pretty sure it comes down to the battery heating system. What do you guys think?

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Tesla heats the battery with a dedicated heater if it's below 8 degree Celsius. The car will drive when the battery is cooler but the power it is able to deliver is compromised. Regen is limited as well. If the battery is zero degree Celsius or lower it will not charge. To be able to charge you have to wait for the battery heater to warm up the battery to be above 0 C.

What people always confuse is the ambient temperature and battery temperature. The battery temperature is not shown to the driver. Guessing the battery temperature based on ambient temperature is impossible. In most cases the battery is warmer than ambient. Especially if the car was driven recently.

I collected some data from the battery last winter. Here is my post about it.
Energy consumption for Preheating

Tesla uses an algorithim to determine the most efficient battery condition. If it is more efficient to cool or heat a battery, then that is what it will do. If it is more efficient to just draw from the battery at it's ambient temperature, that is what it will do