Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs. Rally Armor mud flaps coverage comparison pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the Tesla flaps, and they did make a significant difference. The "rock rain" was cut dramatically. However, I still could hear more rocks peppering the sides than I wanted, so I decided to take the plunge on the Brooklyn-priced Rally Armor flaps and try those instead. I haven't driven with them yet, but here's an animated-gif comparison of the coverage difference between the two. RA looks much better than the Tesla version.
mudflaps.gif

They do look nice, but I do not think that flaps alone will save your paint. They cannot go low enough.

Suggest a small experiment that I performed to better understand the impact area with the flaps installed:
Put a yarn (or cord) under the tire, extend it all the way to the back door fender area and move it up until it hits the lower edge of the flaps.
This will give you a pretty good idea how large the impact area still is even with the flaps mounted.

(Note to any physics expert: Yes, I did ignore few parameters with the experiment)

Installing PPF in the impact area and most importantly wrapping it around the edges as well is still the only way to prevent paint damage.
I first installed the PPF w/o wrapping them, and it not only looked less professional, but also left high impact areas exposed.
Re-did the install and now everything is covered. Wrapping around it not hard. Take your time and flush the edges with the alcohol water mix.
I used this PPF kit as it was the best priced option I could find:
Paint Protection Kits (rear Fenders/Rocker)

I tried the Tesla flaps, and they did make a significant difference. The "rock rain" was cut dramatically. However, I still could hear more rocks peppering the sides than I wanted, so I decided to take the plunge on the Brooklyn-priced Rally Armor flaps and try those instead. I haven't driven with them yet, but here's an animated-gif comparison of the coverage difference between the two. RA looks much better than the Tesla version.
View attachment 653751
Thanks for the advice! I looked at those early this morning, and wasn’t sure about the blue logo, they don’t offer a more discrete black logo. Great comparison to the OEM, a lot bigger!

Reactions: scissorfighter
Thanks for the advice! I looked at those early this morning, and wasn’t sure about the blue logo, they don’t offer a more discrete black logo. Great comparison to the OEM, a lot bigger!
I just read another post you can reverse them, to not show the logo.