Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs. semi crash reported 03.11.21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Edited thread title to be more descriptive and less click-baity.

Found this disturbing news artical today:

US sends team to Detroit to investigate Tesla-semi crash​

By TOM KRISHER

DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government’s highway safety agency is sending a team to Detroit to investigate a crash involving a Tesla that drove beneath a semitrailer.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Monday night that a special crash investigation team will go to the city to investigate the “violent crash.” Two people were critically injured in the crash that happened last Thursday on the city’s southwest side.
--more--

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
We don't know if AP was on at the time of the crash.

If AP was not even on, then AP/FSD cannot be at fault.

If it was standard AP (ie not FSD Beta) then Tesla will just say that it is not designed for city streets and the driver was supposed to pay attention. Since AP is a driver assist, the driver is liable, not Tesla. However, Tesla may get some criticism from the NTSB to do more about driver monitoring.

If it was FSD Beta that was on, that would make certainly make FSD look bad. But Tesla says that even FSD Beta is L2. So the driver would still be liable. However, I could see regulators really pushing back on Tesla's FSD Beta approach.

We need to wait and get more info. We should not jump the gun and assume FSD was at fault. We don't know yet.

Reactions: rxlawdude

"The driver of a Tesla SUV that crashed into a semi last week in Detroit is being charged with reckless driving causing serious injury, the Detroit Police Department said Tuesday."

"Detroit Assistant Police Chief David LeValley on Tuesday said: "All the indications we have are that the vehicle was not in autopilot mode, that the driver was in control of the vehicle at the time of the crash," noting that the driver indicated he was driving and there's some video evidence that shows "some evasive maneuvers" being made before the crash occurred."

By TOM KRISHER

DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government’s highway safety agency is sending a team to Detroit to investigate a crash involving a Tesla that drove beneath a semitrailer.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Monday night that a special crash investigation team will go to the city to investigate the “violent crash.” Two people were critically injured in the crash that happened last Thursday on the city’s southwest side.
--more--
Thread title is FUD and ClickBait

🤦🏻‍♂️ “on THE AP”. Can’t even take this poster seriously

By TOM KRISHER

--more--

Nasty looking crash.

With apologies to the seriousness of the incident. The headline made me think that hopefully the crash is fully rather than "semi being investigated". (I realize that's not what it meant). Hope the driver & passenger recover soon.
'Violent crash' in Detroit involving Tesla, semi being investigated by NHTSA
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...investigation-tesla-crash-detroit/4714212001/

I am sure they do when it is a serious crash like this one.
In the aircraft industry, most/all accidents are investigated because they are rare and tend to be more fatal. I would have to say that most car accidents are not subject to NTSB investigation. While I do think that the NTSB has a specific hard-on for Tesla, I also think there's a chance that this one may be worthy of their time.

Its like how another company might sell "Hyper-Drive" - just a trade mark at this point (I guess not yet been trade marked).

I would agree that Tesla's FSD has kinda become a trademark at this point. It's basically what Tesla calls their advanced driver assist package. The only issue is that the name "full self-driving" does mean full self-driving in English, hence why there is controversy. A name like "hyper drive" does not mean full self-driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd

Looks to me like the Model Y (no question; door handles and rear liftgate are definitive) was headed south-southeast on Waterman (at 3:20AM...), entered the intersection with Fort St, went under the moving semi (headed west-southwest), and got dragged along Fort to somewhere close to the exit from the muffler shop which enters onto Fort (see the guard rails in one of the provided links: https://www.radio.com/wwjnewsradio/...ed-underneath-semi-in-southwest-detroit-crash).

You can see the Tesla impacted the semi midway along the trailer in the video (the damage is visible about 10 feet forward of the final location of the Tesla), and then it slid back towards the semi's rear wheels as the semi came to a halt.

I'm kind of surprised they survived (so far anyway). That trailer is pretty unyielding. I suppose they must have ducked or something?

My guess is that the Tesla driver was under the influence, given the hour. But just a guess. Could have been just ignoring the light (not really consistent with running a light that just turned red, given the position of the semi in the intersection at the time of impact).

Given the circumstances, it seems really unlikely to be an AP or FSD crash. It would have had to miss the light at night. Seem unlikely. And the statements above from the police.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 4.40.50 PM.png

Last edited:
In the aircraft industry, most/all accidents are investigated because they are rare and tend to be more fatal. I would have to say that most car accidents are not subject to NTSB investigation. While I do think that the NTSB has a specific hard-on for Tesla, I also think there's a chance that this one may be worthy of their time.

I am pretty sure that all fatal crashes are investigated. It's just usually done at the local or state level. The NTSB only steps in if they feel there is something particularly noteworthy about the crash. In particular, I think the NTSB will likely investigate if they feel that the crashes are related by a major engineering flaw or negligence by the automaker. I think Tesla probably invites more scrutiny since they have a very famous driver assist system and also since they call it "full self-driving" and tout that they are making the cars self-driving.

Reactions: Enginerd