Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VS Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either way, there is a first place and a second place. (And in the words of the Great Ricky Bobby....)
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. 2020 Tesla Model S Performance

First Place - Tesla Model S
Second Place - Porsche Taycan

upload_2020-2-8_23-12-38.png

I am curious -- how are they determining remaining range? if it is from the battery SOC indicator, that is notoriously inaccurate (on the Tesla anyway). Unless they were driving it at conditions close to the EPA test, the stated range is simply not meaningful. And it is very difficult, expect on a closed course with steady speed, to drive in a way that matches the EPA test so that the range comparison is meaningful. If they were using the Tesla energy app, well, that is a different story. But even so, how do they know that the Tesla and Porsche range indicators or energy apps (if the Taycan has something like it) are anywhere near equivalent? If one is more optimistic than the other, the comparison is meaningless.
I have been convinced by reading zillions of posts on this and watching many videos that the better way to determine what you can get from the car is to do a test where you measure the energy you can extract in driving down form 100% to near zero, which is the method that Bjorn Nyland uses. Then the range is a function of your speed etc. You can use the EPA value to estimate the range, but first you have to know what energy you can actually obtain and use from the battery.
They didn't use EPA rating or any other rated range. They simply observed the %SoC the cars were reporting, and assumed since the percentages were dropping consistently (same percent per mile from mile one to mile 100), that the remaining miles would drain the same %soc/mile. I would have liked to see them drive both cars to empty as well (3hrs extra testing), but I see their reasoning. Do you thing Tesla will do more or less miles on the SoC from 100 to 60% than from 60% to 20%?

First Place - Tesla Model S
Second Place - Porsche Taycan

View attachment 509471
Did you notice that there was 13 point difference between them, and Taycan lost 16 points just for pricing - remove only the pricing points and Taycan ends up winning. One thing which confused me was the rebates category - Taycan has $7,500 federal rebate, while Tesla has $0, yet Tesla scored higher in the rebates category. :confused:

Attachments

• B4684579-069E-4907-9796-6F464264E4C3.jpeg
    B4684579-069E-4907-9796-6F464264E4C3.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 37
They didn't use EPA rating or any other rated range. They simply observed the %SoC the cars were reporting, and assumed since the percentages were dropping consistently (same percent per mile from mile one to mile 100), that the remaining miles would drain the same %soc/mile. I would have liked to see them drive both cars to empty as well (3hrs extra testing), but I see their reasoning. Do you thing Tesla will do more or less miles on the SoC from 100 to 60% than from 60% to 20%?

The car could well do more or less miles for each percent of battery charge, unless the ambient temperature remains the same and the vehicle speeds the same, and so on. They are also assuming a linear accuracy for the battery indicator -- do we really know that is true, especially for the new Taycan?

I thought it was a great unbiased article. I’m glad you provided the link too, because I don’t think many complaining on this thread actually read the “biased” or “paid by Porsche” article.
Very surprised that the Model S was found to be quieter than the Taycan. Was that just because of the fake motor noise? Seems unlikely the Taycan isn't a quieter cabin, with its greater build quality and greater weight. I assume that the fake motor noise can be shut off. Hope so, anyway.

Turn on the Range Mode for the Tesla Performance and see how far it can go at 75 MPH. In my 2016, I can go about 300 miles on a full charge using Range Mode and staying at or below 75 MPH.

I personally hate the designs of all Porsche vehicles. The Taycan edges a bit in the favorable direction, but I would never want to own this car. I love my Model S.

Brent

This is just sad, for Tesla that is. Car and Drivers latest test.

View attachment 508954

View attachment 508955

Looks like the VW group is cheating again, Let's make the test work for our car and not do standard tests like the rest of industry. That must have been one expensive ad, and very "Shifty".
Is VW Group that desperate for attention that they change the usual measurements of automotive success? I'm still voting for the big T, and can't wait to order the Maximum Plaid.

The car could well do more or less miles for each percent of battery charge, unless the ambient temperature remains the same and the vehicle speeds the same, and so on. They are also assuming a linear accuracy for the battery indicator -- do we really know that is true, especially for the new Taycan?
They were driving at 75mph around a track, so speed stayed constant. I agreed before that driving to empty (car shuts down) would have been better, I was just explaining what their reasoning was. Yes, they assumed %SOC reported was at least on average accurate (given the SOC was dropping linearly for the first half mile, it's not totally unreasonable to assume it will for the next miles too).

Need some help here...
looking at the graph the Tesla falls off immediately from the second run.
What would have made this more consistent / accurate? does the Tesla need time in between runs? to stay
consistent?
From the 3rd run it really fall off badly.

I am sure the test was favourable to Porsche as many will see and believe what they read.
While I like Porsche and have had a few, I have recently ordered a Roadster base which I believe in a 1/4 mile race the Porsche would have to look very quickly to see my middle finger as I take off!!! I'm not too keen on the way the Taycan looks, the Model S is very sleek and the roadster better looking than both.

I just went for a test drive in a P100d Performance model which was violently fast and thoroughly enjoyable.
Auto pilot was very good even just to keep the distance or follow the car in front was effortless and fun.

How should they have done the runs to keep this test fair? Does the Tesla need 30 secs / 1 minute or something to 'warm up' or something?
If so, how does this come about? e.g When the Tesla does a run does this cool it down so it needs to warm up for the next run?
What is the difference in the battery technologies they use?

While I love Porsche, I want the Tesla to be the future and believe it will be.
Also I understand the Tesla needs 'warming up' to use ludicrous Plus / plaid modes. How long is the wait?
If the battery in the Tesla was at say 20% would it be faster as it holds less weight in battery charge?
Would the performance of the Tesla still be very strong with the battery at 20%??
Or what would the performance level be at 20% battery?

So what you're saying is that Tesla is at a disadvantage at 0-60 and 1/4 miles metrics because it doesn't have a transmission?
What performance tests should they ran to keep Tesla looking competitive on repeated tests?

Uh, no...I was saying that it helps with power usage at higher speeds and power delivery at lower SOC... So, the exact parameters of these tests.

Seems obvious.

Turn on the Range Mode for the Tesla Performance and see how far it can go at 75 MPH. In my 2016, I can go about 300 miles on a full charge using Range Mode and staying at or below 75 MPH.
Range mode doesn't do anything when going at constant speed of 75mph. Giving range "at or below 75mph" doesn't mean anything - for example drive 75mph for 10 seconds, coast to 25mph, then continue at 25mph until empty, and you can report getting "500+miles at or below 75mph".