Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs Tezla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may sound a bit picky, but when watching many online videos, it "sounds" like the commentators are pronouncing the word Tesla (Tess-lah) - as - Tezla (Tez-lah). Which pronunciation of the word Tesla is correct? Is this a regional or dialect accent thing? How do you pronounce the word Tesla?

Since the function of language is to communicate a thought from one person to another, as long as the thought is accurately conveyed, it doesn’t make a whit of difference.

As for me I hate it when someone who should know pronounces the word nuclear as “nucular”. If someone has a finger on the button, he should be expert enough to intimately know about the device, the derivation of its power, and what it’ll do. Inability to even pronounce the word properly doesn’t inspire confidence.

So we all have our bugaboos.

This may sound a bit picky, but when watching many online videos, it "sounds" like the commentators are pronouncing the word Tesla (Tess-lah) - as - Tezla (Tez-lah). Which pronunciation of the word Tesla is correct? Is this a regional or dialect accent thing? How do you pronounce the word Tesla?

Regional, like California? In the US, "s" is pronounced "s". Well if Elon says it "Z", monkey see monkey do. There is nothing more humiliating than to watch educated people trying so desperately to fit in.

Since the function of language is to communicate a thought from one person to another, as long as the thought is accurately conveyed, it doesn’t make a whit of difference.

As for me I hate it when someone who should know pronounces the word nuclear as “nucular”. If someone has a finger on the button, he should be expert enough to intimately know about the device, the derivation of its power, and what it’ll do. Inability to even pronounce the word properly doesn’t inspire confidence.

So we all have our bugaboos.

Doesn't make a difference? Try writing the way you speak for an educated audience,or, create that memo that is embarrassing to read.

Reactions: rooter
Doesn't make a difference? Try writing the way you speak for an educated audience,or, create that memo that is embarrassing to read.

Actually I do write the way I speak. Being educated myself, I do communicate with the educated. I just don’t think either pronunciation of the “S” in Tesla is going to make a difference.

You are right, though, the way one speaks or writes is generally used as an initial measure of education and intelligence.

Reactions: jlv1
Tesla is the last name of Nikola Tesla, the Croatian born Serbian inventor (which everyone here knows I am sure). Funnily enough, I am also a Croatian born Serbian and TeZla is NOT the correct pronounciation. It’s terribly annoying.

Please learn to pronounce it correctly. Tess-lah is the closest you can get to correct. Elon should learn that, too.

Good to know. Thanks.
I thought it was the other way around.
I always thought TeZla was the correct way to say it because the name came from Nikola Tesla. :oops:

Tesla is a slavic name. In Czech, and probably other slavic languages, his name is pronounced S not Z. Elon doesn't know how to pronounce it.

Reactions: jlv1