Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs Uber: Battle for Our Self-Driving Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The premise is little flawed since people still like to own cars. Therefore future self-driving Teslas will be in the hands of people on a scale much larger than the future uber self-driving fleet.

This leads to higher levels of data collection and more accurate, up to date, maps. Uber is always going be behind with this with no solution except in small city centers which it should be fine.

I would almost argue that Otto, bought by Uber, hasn't really demonstrated modern self driving like Tesla or Google. So I think they might be a ways of still.

It is too early to make any prediction until tests are validated.

1) Tesla:
Semi-autonomous basic senor/software ability that failed to react to stationary vesicles as well as the big obstacle in Florida was very disappointing.

However, recent reports of improved Tesla senor/software ability is very encouraging.

2) Uber:
The same impression can be translated to Uber that violated traffic rules in San Francisco but Uber said those were humans' not automation's errors which did not boost public confidence.

Uber further abandoned its effort to prove that it has been right all along and decided to leave California which again did not look well in the public opinion.

3) Google:
It had a nice thing going by being very cautious and skipping all lower SAE levels and would take time to strive for a safe Driverless Level with absolutely no human controls.

It was doing fine until there's a driverless race and it now just gets what it can including bringing a driverless system to fully human-controlled-equipped cars.

I think both Uber, Google and others don't have a real-time-capable neural network like Tesla Vision.

Google test cars are geofenced to already HD mapped areas only.

That means it needs more test cars to HD-map new areas.

Tesla on the other hand equips all its new cars since 2014 and again 2016 with cameras to survey new areas and share the data with the neural network.

Thus, that might be enough for Tesla to be the first to achieve a safe driverless system in several years.