Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla walk away lock issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am happy to use walk-away lock with a paired phone on our Tesla 3, however, it behaves strange sometimes. I though I would share and see if these issues happen to others.

1. The car locks itself with front trunk open. We have charging cable in the front trunk, so every time we park to charge, open the front trunk and exit the car with a phone in the pocket the car locks itself while I’m getting the cable.

2. Car locks too quickly. Many times the car locks itself 5 sec after exiting it and still standing within 5 m. If you then need to grab something from e.g., back seat you need to unlock it first.

3. Car would not unlock when approaching. Lately, many times when approaching the car it won’t unlock itself unless you unlock your phone first. We then end up pulling the door handles with no effect till you get the phone from your pocket and unlock it.

Would be great to know how to fix those small, but annoying issues.

Thanks.

There are many threads about phone Bluetooth key issues in the forum. Go search for detailed discussions.

In short, make sure your body isn't between your phone and the car if possible. Some phones work better than others, and also on Android you can use your phone as nfc key on the driver's side pillar if Bluetooth isn't responding, no need to unlock and go to Tesla app.

The car doesn't unlock when approaching. That is not a feature. The car unlocks when you pull the handle and your phone is within range. The first two issues shouldn't matter because even if it locks the moment you pull the handle is would be unlocked again. It should be almost instant.

You shouldn't have to unlock your phone either. This indicates it's your phone having issues and not the car. Check your Tesla app settings. Make sure it has unrestricted battery and background usage. Make sure have all the permissions allowed. Make sure your bluetooth is always on.

Reactions: username123
I am happy to use walk-away lock with a paired phone on our Tesla 3, however, it behaves strange sometimes. I though I would share and see if these issues happen to others.

1. The car locks itself with front trunk open. We have charging cable in the front trunk, so every time we park to charge, open the front trunk and exit the car with a phone in the pocket the car locks itself while I’m getting the cable.

2. Car locks too quickly. Many times the car locks itself 5 sec after exiting it and still standing within 5 m. If you then need to grab something from e.g., back seat you need to unlock it first.

3. Car would not unlock when approaching. Lately, many times when approaching the car it won’t unlock itself unless you unlock your phone first. We then end up pulling the door handles with no effect till you get the phone from your pocket and unlock it.

Would be great to know how to fix those small, but annoying issues.

Thanks.
TL;DR: keep the phone in the front of your body and make sure the Tesla app is running.

ISTM (1) and (2) are only issues because of (3). If the car unlocks automatically when you are near it then it wouldn't matter if it locked sooner than you expect. This is my experience. It's not perfect but I'd say it unlocks automatically 95% of the time or more.

I usually keep my phone in a front pocket or in a small bag I carry in the front of my body. Once it didn't unlock when the phone was in a backpack I was wearing. The 5% of the time auto-unlock fails is usually when I'm trying to open the trunk first. It's been a long time since the driver's door didn't unlock automatically (setting myself up for a failure now).

There used to be settings on Android phones that would fix the "car does not unlock" problem but the OS changes rapidly so that recipe isn't available anymore (which may be a good thing).

I have a Samsung S10e. I try to leave the Tesla app open and I add it to the "Never Sleep Apps" list in the settings. You used to need to put Bluetooth in that list too but that's no longer an option so maybe it is never sleeping by default now.