Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am buying a M3 LR from a private seller and installing a Tesla wall charger. I've read some threads on here saying it took months to receive their unit. I live in Los Angeles. Can I just walk in a store and buy one? The car isn't registered in my name yet, but I assume they'll sell me a charger regardless of whether I own a Tesla, right?

Also, if I have to order it online, is there a return policy?

I don’t believe there is a restocking fee but you are correct about online ordering. It’s very flaky and inconsistent. If you live in LA I can’t imagine why you would go through all that rather than just driving by the service center and picking one up.

I don’t believe there is a restocking fee but you are correct about online ordering. It’s very flaky and inconsistent. If you live in LA I can’t imagine why you would go through all that rather than just driving by the service center and picking one up.

It's confusing because Tesla site says an unopened wall charger can be returned within 60 days and MAY be subject to a 15% restocking fee. That sounds very wishy-washy.

Re picking one up at the service center, I used the Tesla site, and it specifically says that places with the wall charger will be noted. I clicked on almost every store and service center, only one states they sell wall chargers. I find it hard to believe that in all of LA, there's only one place to buy it.

Do you really need a wall connector? You can buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter for the plug that comes with the car for $35. Another $35 buys you a little plastic mount for the wall that you can hang the plug on just like the wall connector.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet, using the gen2 charge cable that comes with the car, gets you about 30mph of range. (32A) So if you leave your car plugged in at least 8 hours a night you'll regain 240 miles of range which, even if you were pulling in on empty every night, would be ~80% of the battery's capacity and the recommended max for daily charging anyway.

IMHO the wall connector is unnecessary for 95% of people and mostly a waste of $500. Now if you have a special situation, or just really like the way it looks, go for it. But don't assume you "need" it just because it's shown in the promotional photos. I almost fell into that trap myself and only didn’t get one because they were out of stock. Now I realize I saved myself $500 because it's completely unnecessary for my situation.

Do you really need a wall connector? You can buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter for the plug that comes with the car for $35. Another $35 buys you a little plastic mount for the wall that you can hang the plug on just like the wall connector.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet, using the gen2 charge cable that comes with the car, gets you about 30mph of range. (32A) So if you leave your car plugged in at least 8 hours a night you'll regain 240 miles of range which, even if you were pulling in on empty every night, would be ~80% of the battery's capacity and the recommended max for daily charging anyway.

IMHO the wall connector is unnecessary for 95% of people and mostly a waste of $500. Now if you have a special situation, or just really like the way it looks, go for it. But don't assume you "need" it just because it's shown in the promotional photos. I almost fell into that trap myself and only didn’t get one because they were out of stock. Now I realize I saved myself $500 because it's completely unnecessary for my situation.

Agree, for the most part. Some states do reimburse some of the cost of buying/installing a wall charger.

If you’re not the greatest planner of your day (this guy) or some unforeseen travel comes up that extra speed is a life saver. Also, if you plan on getting a CT or another Tesla down the line with a higher capacity battery that 8 hr charge time will quickly increase.

So basically you’re paying more for convenience and flexibility.

Agree, for the most part. Some states do reimburse some of the cost of buying/installing a wall charger.

If you’re not the greatest planner of your day (this guy) or some unforeseen travel comes up that extra speed is a life saver. Also, if you plan on getting a CT or another Tesla down the line with a higher capacity battery that 8 hr charge time will quickly increase.

And if you buy a second Tesla, THEN buy the wall charger. Save $465 dollars and just buy the connector. If you get a second car, you're going to want more than just 50A in the garage anyway.

Re picking one up at the service center, I used the Tesla site, and it specifically says that places with the wall charger will be noted. I clicked on almost every store and service center, only one states they sell wall chargers. I find it hard to believe that in all of LA, there's only one place to buy it.

I doubt the website is accurate. It’s not a high priority for Tesla to keep it up to date. I would just call the closest service center and ask them.

One of the recommended installers on the Tesla site was a company called Charge Across America. When I called to get a quote from them, their quote included the Tesla wall charger as they had inventory in stock. Plus they had the gen2 charger which has the longer charge cable, which is what I needed. I'm pretty sure you can only get the gen3 charger from the Tesla site.

Also, Charge Across America will uninstall the wall charger for free should you decide to move, so when installing at the next home you don't have to pay for another wall charger.

Last edited:
One of the recommended installers on the Tesla site was a company called Charge Across America. When I called to get a quote from them, their quote included the Tesla wall charger as they had inventory in stock. Plus they had the gen2 charger which has the longer charge cable, which is what I needed. I'm pretty sure you can only get the gen3 charger from the Tesla site.

Also, Charge Across America will uninstall the wall charger for free should you decide to move, so when installing at the next home you don't have to pay for another wall charger.
Sorry, the company name is Smart Charge America and they operate in many state.
Electric Car Charging Stations - EVSE Installation - Smart Charge America

Tesla wall charger is FREE in LA county. Ladwp has a $500 wc rebate. Otherwise, I would just get the plug.

Reactions: DrtyJrze