Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar question here, and didn't want to start a new thread on it. Tesla site has shown the wall charger as being out of stock for a couple of weeks now. My model 3 is on order and I'm anal enough I want everything set up and ready to go when the car arrives. I've gotten the quote from the electrician for the garage wiring. Anyone have insight on when these might be back in stock? I got a non-answer from my Service Adviser who just said to sign up for the email notification (duh). Thanks!

Just FYI everyone,

I have had both a Tesla wall connector and a chargepoint home flex. My electric company syncs with the chargepoint and charges a discounted EV charging rate, they also gave me a $500 rebate for it so I ended up getting it after the Tesla one.

The chargepoint is all around better. Only downside is you have to use the j1772 adapter.

I know everyone will buy the Tesla charger because it says Tesla on it but if you put a Tesla sticker on the front and squint maybe it makes more sense to get the charger with more features and reliability.

Just FYI everyone,

I have had both a Tesla wall connector and a chargepoint home flex. My electric company syncs with the chargepoint and charges a discounted EV charging rate, they also gave me a $500 rebate for it so I ended up getting it after the Tesla one.

The chargepoint is all around better. Only downside is you have to use the j1772 adapter.

I know everyone will buy the Tesla charger because it says Tesla on it but if you put a Tesla sticker on the front and squint maybe it makes more sense to get the charger with more features and reliability.
The ChargePoint costs $699, and is limited to 50A (40A to the car); the Wall Connector is $500 and can handle 60A (48A to the car). Also the ChargePoint requires using the J1772 adaptor, which means either buying a second one, or switching it back to the car whenever you leave and think you'll need it.

The ChargePoint costs $699, and is limited to 50A (40A to the car); the Wall Connector is $500 and can handle 60A (48A to the car). Also the ChargePoint requires using the J1772 adaptor, which means either buying a second one, or switching it back to the car whenever you leave and think you'll need it.

Bad information. The chargepoint is not limited to 50A. It's installed with up to an 80A breaker and it's 50A to the car. The chargepoint is actually more powerful than the Tesla charger but yea we can't use more than 48 anyway.

I've never once needed my J1772 adapter and my commute is 120miles. Sure if I ever need it to go on vacation or something I will take it. But since I've had the car the mobile connector and adapter have never been in it.

Also chargepoint has an app that controls it and syncs with your electric provider. I can see my cost to charge this month was $17 for example or set time of use when it will turn on and off. I can change the amps, see the previous charge history, get alerts if I forgot to plug the car in.. stuff you would expect.

The chargepoint cable is better and longer. Installation was easier. It comes with both a plug for outlets and can be hardwired. You don't even have to torque the cable connectors. You can even replace the charging cable easy on it if you somehow broke it. It's even slimmer.

Also it works perfectly. The Tesla has a bad record in this forum.

It's without a doubt better

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Bad information. The chargepoint is not limited to 50A. It's installed with up to an 80A breaker and it's 50A to the car. The chargepoint is actually more powerful than the Tesla charger but yea we can't use more than 48 anyway.

I've never once needed my J1772 adapter and my commute is 120miles. Sure if I ever need it to go on vacation or something I will take it. But since I've had the car the mobile connector and adapter have never been in it.

Also chargepoint has an app that controls it and syncs with your electric provider. I can see my cost to charge this month was $17 for example or set time of use when it will turn on and off.

It's without a doubt better

For those with more than the 48. What would be the max output for 100amp service to the garage on the chargepoint? How does it handle two EV's charging at same time? Assuming you have two Chargepoints on same circuit.

Does the app read the meter or just itself, and if so have you noticed and discrepancies between you and the meter? I guess what I am saying is who is providing the $17 dollar figure? The app or utility provider? We have a different meter for EV from our utility provider.

For those with more than the 48. What would be the max output for 100amp service to the garage on the chargepoint? How does it handle two EV's charging at same time? Assuming you have two Chargepoints on same circuit.

Does the app read the meter or just itself, and if so have you noticed and discrepancies between you and the meter? I guess what I am saying is who is providing the $17 dollar figure? The app or utility provider? We have a different meter for EV from our utility provider.

I am not sure about any of these questions but I think you have to put each charger on a different breaker because it doesn't have load sharing. I only have one charger. Tesla charger has load sharing so it beats chargepoint if you only have 1 circuit.

max output is 50amps the 3 will still only charge at 48.

When you setup the charger you select your utility and your utility rate plan from a list. For me it's different because I also register the charger with the utility. The charger is my meter for them. The utility bills me according to what the charger says I used because they have an EV time of use rate. If you don't have a utility that is downloading data I assume it's an estimate. It's based on your rate plan so it should be close to right. You can also set the rate manually if you don't select a utility.

The app works well but could look better and needs better graphs or stats. I assume Tesla is going to come out with something like it eventually though now that they have wifi in the latest version.

Oh you also select your car and it estimates the miles added

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Similar question here, and didn't want to start a new thread on it. Tesla site has shown the wall charger as being out of stock for a couple of weeks now. My model 3 is on order and I'm anal enough I want everything set up and ready to go when the car arrives. I've gotten the quote from the electrician for the garage wiring. Anyone have insight on when these might be back in stock? I got a non-answer from my Service Adviser who just said to sign up for the email notification (duh). Thanks!
Just get the electrician to put in a NEMA 14-50. It's worked fine to charge my S for seven years, and now the new X. You can always put in the Tesla one later if you feel you need to. (You'll need the $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter from the Tesla Shop).

Reactions: P3dStealth
Just get the electrician to put in a NEMA 14-50. It's worked fine to charge my S for seven years, and now the new X. You can always put in the Tesla one later if you feel you need to. (You'll need the $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter from the Tesla Shop).

While that works for some, it doesn’t work for all. I needed the wall connectors because we charge outdoors. The Tesla mobile connector isn’t nearly as weather sealed as the wall connector.

I am not sure about any of these questions but I think you have to put each charger on a different breaker because it doesn't have load sharing. I only have one charger. Tesla charger has load sharing so it beats chargepoint if you only have 1 circuit.

max output is 50amps the 3 will still only charge at 48.

When you setup the charger you select your utility and your utility rate plan from a list. For me it's different because I also register the charger with the utility. The charger is my meter for them. The utility bills me according to what the charger says I used because they have an EV time of use rate. If you don't have a utility that is downloading data I assume it's an estimate. It's based on your rate plan so it should be close to right. You can also set the rate manually if you don't select a utility.

The app works well but could look better and needs better graphs or stats. I assume Tesla is going to come out with something like it eventually though now that they have wifi in the latest version.

Oh you also select your car and it estimates the miles added
Could you set your location to something more distinct than USA? Even just a state would help people understand what you're going through.

While that works for some, it doesn’t work for all. I needed the wall connectors because we charge outdoors. The Tesla mobile connector isn’t nearly as weather sealed as the wall connector.
I charge outdoors too. The 14-50 is inside the garage and the cord runs under the door through a slot in the floor. Agreed if you have to have the entire charger outside. Been using this method for over seven years.
Plugged_in.jpg

Reactions: dmurphy
I charge outdoors too. The 14-50 is inside the garage and the cord runs under the door through a slot in the floor. Agreed if you have to have the entire charger outside. Been using this method for over seven years.

Ah yes - I remember your photo re: chiseling the slot well. And you’re right - this definitely works just fine as long as the connector “block” is indoors.

Here in NJ, we have everything from rain to snow to ice to hail to hurricanes to ... whatever. So for me, and based on the garage layout, the HPWC made sense. But you’re absolutely right - your config is perfectly viable!

I'm in the same boat, waiting for Tesla 3 which will hopefully come next month, and want to install the Tesla HPWC. To reiterate the previous question which I don't think was answered, it's been out of stock for at least a couple weeks- does anyone have a sense based on history how long before it is back in stock? It seems pretty crazy that such a "core" item seems to frequently go out of stock (from what I'm hearing).... thanks.

I'm in the same boat, waiting for Tesla 3 which will hopefully come next month, and want to install the Tesla HPWC. To reiterate the previous question which I don't think was answered, it's been out of stock for at least a couple weeks- does anyone have a sense based on history how long before it is back in stock? It seems pretty crazy that such a "core" item seems to frequently go out of stock (from what I'm hearing).... thanks.

It's out of stock more often than in stock. People try to sell them on eBay and the forums for more than they are new sometimes.

You have to be quick. It will come in stock for like three days. I got my charger by just randomly checking the site. I never got the Tesla notification email.

No reason to not get the 3 though. You can use the mobile charger it works great. Just get a 14-50 outlet in your garage. It would be a good backup anyway if the wall charger broke.