Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger breaker caught fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to say it, but there may be a reason you only paid $1500 while all of the other quotes were $2k.
Sometimes you get what you pay for and getting a qualified, licensed & insured electrician is something I’m willing to pay extra for.
Also by going through Tesla you weren’t able to vet the contracted electrician yourself. They could have been the new guy, or the 1 star Yelp guy which is why they were priced so low.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
You would think going with Tesla that it would be done correctly. I mean they are the ones installing the wall charger with their own product you would think they would do it right. I felt hiring Tesla was the best option vs just a regular electrician that didn’t get training from Tesla on how to install their own wall chargers. They had a clause in the contract that the fee couldn’t exceed $1500 no matter how far away the electrical panel was. It wasn’t about going with the lowest price. It was about going with Tesla the manufacturer of the wall charger and the vehicle it’s supposed to be charging.

Reactions: rjpjnk and dbldwn02
You would think going with Tesla that it would be done correctly. I mean they are the ones installing the wall charger with their own product you would think they would do it right
You are jumping to conclusions. We have no idea why there was a fire. It could have been a bad installation, or it could have been a faulty breaker.

But in either case, humans are involved so there is a possibility that something doesn't get done exactly correctly.

You would think going with Tesla that it would be done correctly. I mean they are the ones installing the wall charger with their own product you would think they would do it right. I felt hiring Tesla was the best option vs just a regular electrician that didn’t get training from Tesla on how to install their own wall chargers. They had a clause in the contract that the fee couldn’t exceed $1500 no matter how far away the electrical panel was. It wasn’t about going with the lowest price. It was about going with Tesla the manufacturer of the wall charger and the vehicle it’s supposed to be charging.
The thing is a Tesla employee didn’t do the install. Tesla contracts out to individual contractors. If the going rate is $2k in your area based on quotes you received. A Tesla contractor gets it done for $1500, which would be less cause you know Tesla wants their share of the pie.
Any Joe Smo can install the wall charger, it’s just 3 wires. Ensuring you have enough load and space in your panel, installing the breaker and running the wire to the wall charger is where you need the expertise of an electrician to do it correctly.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
The thing is a Tesla employee didn’t do the install. Tesla contracts out to individual contractors. If the going rate is $2k in your area based on quotes you received. A Tesla contractor gets it done for $1500, which would be less cause you know Tesla wants their share of the pie.
Any Joe Smo can install the wall charger, it’s just 3 wires. Ensuring you have enough load and space in your panel, installing the breaker and running the wire to the wall charger is where you need the expertise of an electrician to do it correctly.
Tesla employees 100% did the install. They came in the Tesla van and were wearing Tesla shirts and hats. Tesla set the rate of 1500 max. They no longer offer this service. That is why they came back out and replaced the breaker and subpanel.

The thing is a Tesla employee didn’t do the install.
If you hired Tesla to install your Tesla stuff, you did your due diligence to ensure that you did this the right way. Nothing else should be required from people who know little about electricity! Stop shaming people for doing the correct thing...seriously.

Thank you I will call them.
Late response, but in AZ you can record any calls you are a party on without notice.

A person cannot use any device to overhear or record a telephone or electronic communication, including wireless or cellular calls, without the consent of at least one party to the conversation, unless the person recording is a party to the conversation. Ariz. Rev. Stat.