Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger breaker caught fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We paid Tesla to come and install our wall charger and run the electric all the way to our main electrical panel. Last night the Tesla breaker in the main electrical panel on the side of our home caught fire. All our power went off in our home. It was 110 today where I live. No AC! My husband was able to go and turn off the Tesla breaker quickly without burning his hand. We have a separate box for our AC’s so after some time we got that back up and working. I contacted Tesla today and after being transfered 6 times, disconnected several and never getting an actual person to help I emailed wall charger customer support. I attached photos of the electrical panel, all the damage and the contract of the amount paid for the install. I got a response saying after research they didn’t do my install?!!! What in the actual?! I sent the contract, the order number and everything that I had saved on my Tesla account. Now my follow up emails are coming back blocked? Who can I escalate this too? They did my install! They are saying they didn’t?! Help!

Nope! Tesla charged my credit card I paid Tesla.

Attachments

• 2D7F2CEF-0965-4BB2-8B81-FD8562240F35.jpeg
    2D7F2CEF-0965-4BB2-8B81-FD8562240F35.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 887
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Ogre
My car was charging at the time. I’ve read other posts about this happening as well. Fires at the breaker. Definitely some bad wiring as it didn’t trip the breaker for the wall charger but the rest of the house shut off. Now im wondering if it did damage to the wall charger as well and hopefully not my battery. The entire electrical panel and all the breakers need to be replaced. Tesla is not acknowledging they did the install. They’ve blocked me as well!

That's absolutely crazy. Have you tried talking to your home insurance? Make sure to take plenty of pictures.

Keep trying different support numbers. They'll want to address this because it'll cost them way more if they get sued by your homeowner's insurance.

I haven’t contacted my homeowners insurance yet. The damage wasnt that bad luckily but I would like to speak with someone that works at Tesla that can acknowledge that they did in fact install this and hopefully they can just come and fix this. This could’ve ended very badly.

I would also try to contact your homeowner's insurance because they have a very vested interest in making sure that your wiring is safe.

It's absolutely unbelievable that no one at Tesla is handling this though. If you think you're being blocked, use a different phone. Also record your calls. Remember that if you get there notification that the call may be recorded, then you also can record things on your end.

I would also try to contact your homeowner's insurance because they have a very vested interest in making sure that your wiring is safe.

It's absolutely unbelievable that no one at Tesla is handling this though. If you think you're being blocked, use a different phone. Also record your calls. Remember that if you get there notification that the call may be recorded, then you also can record things on your end.
Thank you I will call them.

When you do, don't overstate the problem, but don't understate it either. Stress that there was a literal fire, and you absolutely should have someone take a look things to make sure there isn't hidden damage.

Finally, and I hate to say it, but do you think it's possible you were scammed? Like others have said above, I have always thought that Tesla contracted out their installs (though in the Bay Area, they could indeed do installs too).

Reactions: cusetownusa
Crazy...this is the first time I have ever heard of Tesla actually doing an install...didnt realize that was even an option. Maybe only in Arizona?
Tesla arranged it all. They had a cap on the max amount to be charged as well. It wouldn’my go over $1500 no matter how far away the electric box was. I did get quotes from other electricians first and they were quoting me 2k. Our electric box is on the other side of the house from the garage so it’s far and they charge by the foot. We went with Tesla because it was cheaper and it was Tesla. I’m not sure if Tesla contracted the work out to someone else but Tesla charged me. They charged my credit card on file. It was 1000% Tesla that I paid for the work. Whether they contracted it out to someone else is another story but my contract and receipt and charge on my credit card is all directly to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Crazy...this is the first time I have ever heard of Tesla actually doing an install...didnt realize that was even an option. Maybe only in Arizona?

Back when we picked up our model 3's (mid-April-2018), Telsa was offering to install wall chargers at a flat rate (I was guessing that they had a lot of solar guys sitting around so they thought they'd put them to work.) The program didn't last long.