Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night we set the car to charge from midnight to 80%. We also set our powerwall to advanced mode to top it up for our energy needs today. TeslaFi tells me the car charged as normal (found another use for it!) but because I forgot to switch from solar trickle charging 5A to the 16A from the wall charger, it didn't get to where I wanted it. So wish they would let you set the amps from the app!

Plugging in to the charge port, the icon on the charge port went blue and then red. We tried reconnecting a few times with the same result. Then I noticed (see pic) that the top right pin of the charger in the car was different from the top left one. It seems to have some sort of metal cover which is no longer there. The other one seems solid enough. Initially, I thought this was why we couldn't charge. We can charger from a normal wall socket so it seems our charge port is fine. Everyone else have a top right pin that is different from their top left pin?

20201023_083704.jpg

However, when I went to wrap up the cable on the wall charger, I noticed that this had a flashing red light. On the Gateway, the charger fuse had tripped. I reset the fuse but instead of seeing a red light on the charger go to green, I now had no light at all.

I opened the app to check the powerwall and saw that it was effectively off. It was saying it was on standby at 44% when it should have been near 100% and supplying the house. There was no indication where the house was getting energy from as the power icons in the Power Flow screen were all blank. The powerwall did have its long green light on but it seemed to be dormant. I switched the powerwall off and on again using its switch. After a minute or so, it started supplying the house as normal and is now, half an hour later, working fine it seems.

Wall charger is dead though. Tesla service said send them an email... so now we wait...

If you have not already done so, you can reset the Tesla wall connector by pressing the reset button on the left side. Maybe worth a try but you have power cycled the unit instead so that probably did the same. But it may still flash some lights at you to at least show its got power.

In addition, have you checked the car itself for fault codes? The log of these is now available, iirc under maintenance menu.

Plugging in to the charge port, the icon on the charge port went blue and then red. We tried reconnecting a few times with the same result. Then I noticed (see pic) that the top right pin of the charger in the car was different from the top left one. It seems to have some sort of metal cover which is no longer there. The other one seems solid enough. Initially, I thought this was why we couldn't charge. We can charger from a normal wall socket so it seems our charge port is fine. Everyone else have a top right pin that is different from their top left pin?

You're good. Not recognising that bare pin cost me a picnic and a panicky drive to Barcelona when a the Destination Charger at Terra Remota winery failed to charge. At the Service Centre we reset the car and voila!

When things aren't going right, a reset is a cheap attempt to fix almost anything except tooth decay ;)

thanks for confirming charge port is OK. Got a call from Tesla service later in the day to say that they think the wall charger needs replacing. I didn't realise there was a reset on the unit itself. I'll give that a try when it isn't pouring down and dark outside. But with no light at all on the charger, I'm assuming it's getting no power at all. Car errors simply say that there's no power coming from the charger.

Apparently, Leeds SC told me that Tesla wall chargers are dealt with in the Netherlands... hope they're not planning to drive over to fix it or I'll have to wait at least two weeks for the engineer to quarantine ;)