Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger Gen 3 and Permits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in OC in socal, and I am having the tesla wall charger gen 3 installed by a licensed electrician. It was mentioned in other threads that most people who gets the 240V option put in they don't pull permits.

I on the other hand will also be putting up solar panels soon that definitely requires inspection, although the solar will surely come after the 240V (tesla wall charger gen 3) has been installed. Question i have, is should i get the 240V outlet (tesla wall charger gen 3) permitted first? Once they inspect for the solar panels, that they'll see that i have the wall charger and can get fined for it...? or i can just let it go without any permits?

i appreciate the help.

From a big picture perspective, permits are to help you and make sure that your contractor is doing the work according to code. However, I think some people have been frustrated (me included) because sometimes the inspector doesn't look around very much and just signs off when coming to inspect.

Here in San Diego, you're supposed to get a permit for an EV charging station install. Part of that permit submittal is a load calculation to ensure that your electric panel has sufficient capacity to power the station in question...Without a permit, I've seen electricians skip that step (looks like it would be okay, etc.)...

It's a decision you'll have to make. Check your city or county website (as appropriate) to see what the requirements are. The contractor will charge a bit more because of the submittal and spending time on-site waiting for the inspection (or fixing any issues discovered)...

Upvote 0
I didn't realize that the electrician need to wait for the inspector to show up? i would just assume that they check the proper hardware and installation?
such as

60 amps breaker, 4 or 6 guage wire.. i mean for the most part that's all i believe that they'll be inspecting.

They could probably do this without the electrician and after everything has been installed.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize that the electrician need to wait for the inspector to show up?...
If a permit is required, you or the electrician needs to get the paperwork approval before starting the work.

i would just assume that they check the proper hardware and installation? such as 60 amps breaker, 4 or 6 guage wire.. i mean for the most part that's all i believe that they'll be inspecting.
Yes.
They could probably do this without the electrician and after everything has been installed.
Yes.

Upvote 0
I suppose different cities could do things differently. Here, the contractor has to call in after the work is done to make an appointment for the inspection. It might be the same day if called in early enough, but it also might be the next day. The inspectors are always very busy. Sometimes they don't make it when they are supposed to and will come out the next day anyways. But, regardless, the contractor has to be at the job site when the inspector arrives to answer any questions or clear up any issues that the inspector finds. Sometimes the contractors will have junior employees do this waiting to reduce the cost...

Upvote 0
I live in OC in socal, and I am having the tesla wall charger gen 3 installed by a licensed electrician. It was mentioned in other threads that most people who gets the 240V option put in they don't pull permits.

I on the other hand will also be putting up solar panels soon that definitely requires inspection, although the solar will surely come after the 240V (tesla wall charger gen 3) has been installed. Question i have, is should i get the 240V outlet (tesla wall charger gen 3) permitted first? Once they inspect for the solar panels, that they'll see that i have the wall charger and can get fined for it...? or i can just let it go without any permits?

i appreciate the help.

Some municipalities will go full-punitive on charges if the work is done before the permit is pulled. Like TRIPLE the charges, plus the actual charge for the permit.

TBH, I'd consider waiting until your solar panels are getting permitted and do the whole job at once.

Reactions: Obiwanjr and RandyS
Upvote 0
Just to share my experience, the inspection went smoothly.. just like RandyS mentioned that they didn't look into the install too much. I am guessing that as long as you pass all the required paperwork, they become more linient..?

a little off topic:
now that I've got it permitted, this little project got a little bit more expensive than what i was hoping for.
Charger: $500 + tax
Installation: $475
Inspection: $275

Rebate: $250.

I guess the best way if you're after the rebate with having a wall charger is if you have the 14-50 outlet already and a 50 amp breaker. This would save you the installation and inspection cost. Which brings the cost of the charger down to $250.

Overall, I am satisfied with the charger as my charging time went from 2-3 days (110V) to less than 2 hrs.

I appreciate everyones feedback.

Reactions: mociaf9 and ucmndd
Upvote 0