Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger Gen 3 - Toggle Bolts Into drywall fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Planning the install of my wall charger and I want to put it between my two garage doors but doing a quick stud check dead center doesnt have any studs that will fit the template. The actual unit must only weight like 20 pounds, has anyone used heavy duty toggle bolts to secure their charger to drywall?

Old thread but shows some options. Could use a board between the studs like sc123 did.
Screenshot_20210626-220556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Any standard drywall anchor would be fine, the unit is not all that heavy. Normally it's just mounted with 2 screws because it's supposed to line up with a stud but on open-span drywall you can put screws in all 4 corners for a very secure fit. Don't use all 6 holes though because the drywall might just crack.

I really like these self-anchoring screws. They're super easy and much more sturdy than you'd think. Toggle bolts are a hassle to remove/reinstall and they can crack the drywall, especially if it's just a narrow strip. Plus you might have weird stuff inside that little post cavity that might interfere with a toggle bolt. I'd hate to drill a big ol' hole for the toggle and find that there's not enough depth inside for it to expand.

Screenshot 2021-06-26 215934.jpg