Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I’d put this here in case someone else runs into the issue with the latest gen 3 wall charger overheating (3 blinking red light) at 48amps.

I called support and they had to force push a firmware update and that appeared to resolve the issue.

I called the main Tesla phone number and chose option 3 (I think) for home charging support. The how - I simply mentioned the 3 red lights and they seemed to know the cause was firmware right away and the procedure to fix it. You just have to make sure your charger is setup for WiFi.

fwiw, prior to getting the firmware fix I was able to get a charge by dropping down the charge to only 35 amps to avoid overheating.

Update: contacted Tesla to verify if my firmware is current to which they stated I do have the latest firmware. I’ve come to the conclusion being that I live in Arizona my garage is pretty hot so I would assume that was the issue.

Final update: the first time I just online chatted with Tesla and totally revived wrong information finally called the number explained the issue and was told this is a known issue with Gen 3 overheating and a firmware update was pushed out 2 weeks ago. Turns out my Gen 3 did not have the latest firmware and they pushed it through today so I shouldn’t have anymore issues hopefully.

Reactions: njhtran
Interesting to see this as I am having reduced charging issues with my Gen2 plug-in HPWC. They told me the thermal issue is a common issue with the plug-in ones and I could either get a Gen3 hardwired or the Corded Mobile Connector as a replacement. I’m leaning towards the Gen3 for 48A vs 40A charging on the CMC and ability to power share since we are entertaining another Tesla in the garage. Hopefully this is a permanent fix since I don’t want to upgrade and still have issues.

My Gen3 has not had overheating yet, but it is still pretty cool in my garage (70F for upper 80s outside). The only overheating was the breaker, caused by the charger not being set up properly.

Mine was installed on a 50-amp breaker with #8 cable despite my having asked for 60 amp breaker and whatever cable gauge was necessary. The electrician, who allegedly installs Tesla wall chargers regularly (probably Gen 2s, though, which have switches for the breaker size settings), did not configure the charger for the smaller breaker size. The default config is apparently for 60 amp breaker. We have 2 M3SR+ cars (32 amp max draw), so we would never have noticed the difference. Then our daughter visited with her MX. About an hour after her arrival I started to wonder if the charger had been configured and asked, “Hey, how many amps are you pulling?” She checked her phone and responded, “48.” “Uh-oh” I went to the breaker panel and found the 50-amp breaker too warm. I had her throttle her charge current to 40 amps and used my phone to configure the charger that night.

If you get a Gen 3 charger installed on a breaker smaller than 60 amps, make sure you configure it or a MX, MS, or M3/Y LR or P might pop your breaker.

Ours just started this evening out of nowhere. My husband is an electrician so he checked wiring and cables, everything looks fine. The HPWC is not getting an internet signal for whatever reason (we're fully configured and setup to connect to home WiFi) either and coincidentally neither of us can log into our Tesla apps. So annoying. Will be calling support tomorrow.