Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had no problems for a few weeks (mine replaced an overheating Gen2-with-14-50 plug). But last week after coming back from a long trip and charging in a hot garage for a long time, mine gave the three red lights and stopped charging. I didn't check firmware at the time, but I do have 0.8.58 now and haven't had the issue after that one time. It was the hottest day of the year so far (~105 degrees), with a heat-soaked car in a hot garage, so not sure if the connector is just riding at its thermal limit, or if it maybe was addressed by new firmware.

I also noticed that my charger shows "partially configured" when I connect to it. No idea if this is related to the red light problem.

I had this also and figured it out. If you have it on a 60A circuit (48A charging), then you need to re-do the commissioning process (power down, power on, connect to its WiFi network, and go through commissioning), and select a different amperage checkbox and then back to 60A, then complete the installation. If you just leave it defaulted at 60A on that screen it doesn't register that you've consciously configured it I guess and says Partial even though it's all set. You can only change the amperage by going through the commissioning process - not after it's settled on your home WiFi, even though the wizard implies that you can change it later. Doesn't seem to impact anything other than that "Partially Configured" display item.

So when is it that I need to do this recommissioning to avoid the “partially complete” message? Whenever the software updates?

I am a bit skeptical that the hot weather is influencing the overheat problem, but we will see over time. They are sending me a brand new one...what a mess. They say it is a faulty sensor and not actual overheating.

I am a bit skeptical that the hot weather is influencing the overheat problem, but we will see over time. They are sending me a brand new one...what a mess. They say it is a faulty sensor and not actual overheating.

It's definitely not the hot weather in my case, at least not now. Maybe when the interruptions first occurred, it was a pretty hot day, but this week has been pretty cool and the charging has been stuck at half power no matter what. Maybe it really is a faulty sensor circuit that initially triggered and somehow became damaged and stuck in that state. I'm going to wait a bit to see if there's another firmware update that addresses this issue before going the warranty route. Though I look forward to seeing if your new unit works properly again.

Been messing with this for over a month. 2 different firmware updates and now I have gone from it shutting off with 3 red lights to just cutting the max charge rate from 48 to 23 amps about 45-50 mins into charge. Once charge is complete it resets itself to 48 amps.

Seems like they are aware that there is an issue with the temperature sensor but so far their attempts to fix it have either failed or in my case nerf'd the charger. Waiting on update from them to see if they want to try something else or just replace it.

Wished I would have just gotten the Gen 2 version as I feel this thing is a buggy mess.

Glad I found this thread, I seem to be having same issue as many others, its been helpful.

I just bought a 2020 Model S a few weeks ago, I have a Gen3 wall charger which worked fine the first couple weeks, but two days ago started getting the blinking red light (3 blinks).

My firmware is 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342.

Ill call the 510 number I saw on this thread on monday when they are open again and post an update if I can get this resolved.

Update - mine just dropped to 24A again. On the web interface, as before, it has a red circled exclamation point (!) on the "View Alerts" line, but clicking it shows No Alerts.
upload_2020-7-25_14-41-29.png

upload_2020-7-25_14-42-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-25_14-41-40.png
    upload_2020-7-25_14-41-40.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 71
Ugh! No wonder the Gen3 WC is on "back order". I have checked over the past 3 weeks and almost all of the time its back ordered.

I need a WC to install in my new garage (my original Gen1 which worked perfectly for nearly 7 years I left in a house we just sold). Wonder if its worth getting a Gen2 on eBay or waiting for Gen3 to get firmware updates to see if it fixes these problems. I will have a hot garage since I'm in AZ so that is adding to my concern......

Ok I was actually able to email Tesla' s charging team on a weekend and they got back to me. They were able to push the firmware update to my TWC remotely, and it fixed the issue, the charger will not charge without giving me the red blinking light. However, it went from charging at 48/48 amps to about 23/24, so about half the speed. Hopefully that gets fixed soon too, but Im glad I can at least get a charge without it cutting off after 10 mins now.

Thanks for the tip on fixing the “partially configured” issue. I followed your instrucions and am now fully configured. As expected this made no difference to the overheating problem. My Tesla rep said it was a known problem with the sensor and that it was not actually overheating. They are going to send me a new one, although as someone pointed out they are out of stock so it could be a while. Meanime it runs at full power (48) for a short time, then starts with the 3 red lights and cuts to half power for the rest of the session. What a pain. Also thinking of just asking for a refund and either getting a juice box or just installing a 240 volt plug.

Created an account here just to add my voice to the others with this sudden “3 blinks” issue on the gen 3 wall connector.

Mine has been charging at 48A with no trouble since it was installed on a 60A circuit in late June, then today it gave me the three blinks and automatically cut the charge amperage to 24A. I tried stopping and unplugging and plugging back in, and it would go to 48A for a while then drop to 24A and blink red. It is hot out but not that hot, less than 90F.

I haven’t read the whole thread but have read most of it. My plan is to see if this continues then call the service number. If the fix is a new replacement wall charger (I hope not) then do I have to pay for an electrician to replace the one they just installed? Frustrating.

It is iindeed frustrating. My understanding is that, if (when) they send you a new one it is easy to replace yourself without an electrician (still turn the power off of course) just by removing the four screws. But i am not at all certain that the new one won’t repeat the issue.

Update - mine just dropped to 24A again.

Mine now continues to drop to 23/24A after a few minutes, even if cool, even if ventilated, etc. Still have what appears to be latest 0.8.58 firmware. Since I don't drive much these days, I'll probably wait a few days to follow this thread and hope it's a firmware issue. I just paid an electrician to run a fresh #6ga line and hardwire this one since my previous 14-50 HPWC had the same issue, dropping amperage and eventually refusing to charge due to an apparently similar defect on those connectors complaining of overheating. I was really enjoying quick and efficient 12kW charges while it worked....

what a disaster! I had a 2016 first generation (100A circuit) WC that always worked perfectly. Too bad I sold it with our house earlier this year. Now I need another WC and its disaster time at Tesla! Currently I think I'll buy a Gen2 from eBay........

Same thing to report here. Gen 3 installed 4 weeks ago and Tuesday or Wednesday of this week it started the red blink and cut back to 24 amps after a few mins of charging. This super annoying, wish I also had a NEMA 14-50 plug.

Ok I was actually able to email Tesla' s charging team on a weekend and they got back to me. They were able to push the firmware update to my TWC remotely, and it fixed the issue, the charger will not charge without giving me the red blinking light. However, it went from charging at 48/48 amps to about 23/24, so about half the speed. Hopefully that gets fixed soon too, but Im glad I can at least get a charge without it cutting off after 10 mins now.

What email address did you reach them at?

Today I delayed charging until late at night when I could rule out the heat of the day, and I monitored the charge via the iphone app. I was at 53% and scheduled to charge to 80%.

It kept up 48A charging for about 50 minutes then suddenly switched to 24A. I had 1 hr 10 min remaining when it switched, then suddenly it was 2 hrs remaining. Ugh.

I went outside to check the charger and it was doing the 3 red blinks with green lights at the same time, like it was before. Discouraged, I hit “stop charging” on the app. I waited 30 seconds and hit “start charging” without unplugging it. This time it would not go above 6A(!). Wtf!

I felt the face plate, cord, plug... nothing was hot. I unplugged it, sighed, then plugged it back in. Still 6A!

I went inside the car to see if I could change the amps on the screen. It wouldn’t let me select higher than 6A. Estimated time remaining was 8 hrs 45 min (at that point I was at 66%, still going to 80%... omg).

I got out of the car, pressed the button on the plug to unlock it and unplugged it. Then I pressed the button on the plug and held it for 5 seconds to broadcast the SSID. I connected to the wall charger WiFi on my phone and there were no alerts. Frustrated, I plugged it back in—and holy cow it charged at 48A again, all green lights, no red blinking light. It had been like 2 minutes since it was stuck at 6A. Did holding down the button reset the charger?

Now that it was charging at 48A again, I hung around a little while, stayed logged into the wall connector WiFi and it was boring, there were no alerts.

That was about an hour ago. It just finished charging and it stayed at 48A the rest of the way. I suspect if I had to charge longer it would have dropped to 24A again at some point but this time (1 hr) it hung in there longer than it did at the start (about 50 min).

Sorry for the long story but this has to be software, don’t you think? I documented everything with pics and video so I can call Tesla. My firmware is 0.8.58.

Attachments

• A3E3E939-1990-4E9A-B618-96065B119EAA.jpeg
    A3E3E939-1990-4E9A-B618-96065B119EAA.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: zone121
I went outside to check the charger and it was doing the 3 red blinks with green lights at the same time, like it was before. Discouraged, I hit “stop charging” on the app. I waited 30 seconds and hit “start charging” without unplugging it. This time it would not go above 6A(!). Wtf!

Sorry for the long story but this has to be software, don’t you think? I documented everything with pics and video so I can call Tesla. My firmware is 0.8.58.

Same thing happened to me while troubleshooting yesterday - dropped to 23/24A, stopped and started and it went to 6A. I ended up just flipping the breaker off and back on and it went back from 6A to 48A. It continued at 48 for the rest of my charge (only ~20 more minutes).

Definitely smells like a firmware issue, or at least they better hope so or they'll have a lot of replacements to perform...