Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger Generation 3

Mm2021

Feb 7, 2021
London
Hi All,

Does anyone know when the gen 3 wall charger will come to the UK and if it will be eligible for the OLEV grant being “smart”?

Really stuck- not sure whether should go with the usual other home wall charger options or wait. The cost despite the OLEV grant seems to be comparable for me for either as the location of the charger is going to be a distance away from the mains electric meter so apparently needs quite a bit of work.

doats1

Sep 11, 2020
London
No news for people outside the US AFAIK.

If they are planning to, they’re not likely to announce it an advance, so I’d just get what meets your requirements based on what you know now. You may end up waiting for nothing otherwise.

Reactions: Mm2021

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
I'd agree with the above. The TWC is pretty well-designed and made, so should get through approval easily, but I think there just isn't the will by Tesla to do something over and above UL or CE approval work. The UK is a tiny market, so this doesn't really surprise me. What did surprise me was discovering recently that the Tesla UMC appears to have DC tolerant earth leakage protection, or at least uses earth leakage sensing that has a DC capability. I'd have thought that would be something worth putting on UK advertising material, given that there's a requirement here for all fixed EV charge points to have some form of DC tolerant earth leakage protection. I haven't yet had a chance to strip a recent TWC to see what that has inside, and am curious to know if it use the same sensor type or not.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC