Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger Installation in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new TWC that I’m discussing with two different electrician companies with getting quotes for install. My two car garage has two single doors so I have a 9” space between the two door rails. I’d prefer to have it installed there since we have two Model 3s and I wouldn‘t have to deal with the charge cable on the ground behind one of the cars when I‘m charging the other. This is the more expensive of the install options due to needing to run conduit in my attic from the breaker box on the right side wall. The only issue is in order to be able to wrap the charge cable around and use the charger holder, I’d need to use something like a wooden 4x4 femce post to bring the charger out to where it’s past the garage door rails. Does anyone here have a setup like this?

My only other option is to keep it on the same side as my breaker box but have the issue I mentioned earlier when charging one of the cars with having the cable on the ground behind the other car. This would be the cheaper of the two quotes.

The only issue is in order to be able to wrap the charge cable around and use the charger holder, I’d need to use something like a wooden 4x4 femce post to bring the charger out to where it’s past the garage door rails. Does anyone here have a setup like this?
I like the first option going in the ceiling. One thing I always try is to avoid having my cable touching the ground.
I don't know if this could help you in your design, but I build a kind of arm to hold my charging cable,
I park in reverse, so the charging cable is located on the back wall, and not near the garage door like in your case.

1. When I am using the charger, I turn the arm paralele to the car
so the plug would be hanging just next to the charger door of the car.

20200304_200038.jpg

2. And when not in use, I can turn the arm on the side
so I would be able to move the car.

20200305_153118.jpg

I think that in your case, the above aproach would be to have a kind of arm
between the two doors, and rotate the arm toward the car to charge when in use.

And when not in use, install a small receiver like I did,
to attach the end of the plug back to the middle wall and above the charger.

IMG_20220830_0001.jpg

Last edited:
You don't actually need to use the holster on the HPWC. Consider getting a second holster/cordhanger where the charge handle sticks straight out of the wall, and then you don't need to specially mount the HPWC, other than mounting it a bit higher than you might usually.
I was going to suggest this, too, although of course how well it would work will depend on the installation details. If one has access to a 3D printer, there are several designs on Thingiverse that might fit the bill for a buck or so of filament.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
Would I still be able to wrap the charge cable around the wall charger with doing that? Like I said it’s exactly 9” between the garage door rails. Flush mount would be preferred.
Not sure which solution 'that' is referring to, but the thing I was suggesting has its own hook built into the holster so you could wrap the cord around the holster.

Not sure which solution 'that' is referring to, but the thing I was suggesting has its own hook built into the holster so you could wrap the cord around the holster.
I think OP was suggesting that the wrapped cable would protrude past the 9" width on both sides, so any flush mount solution would have the cable touching the garage door rails. But having the holster offset with a block might still be a better slimmer profile than offsetting the wall charger body itself. ..

If the concern is the side-to-side size of the wrapped cable, then I'm sure a cable-wrapping solution that protrudes into the garage, rather than off the sides of the central beam between the garage doors, could be rigged up. I don't have a pointer to a ready-made solution to do this, but I have in mind something like a garden hose management item mounted sideways in one way or another.

I like the first option going in the ceiling. One thing I always try is to avoid having my cable touching the ground.
I don't know if this could help you in your design, but I build a kind of arm to hold my charging cable,
I park in reverse, so the charging cable is located on the back wall, and not near the garage door like in your case.

1. When I am using the charger, I turn the arm paralele to the car
so the plug would be hanging just next to the charger door of the car.

View attachment 847327

2. And when not in use, I can turn the arm on the side
so I would be able to move the car.

View attachment 847328

I think that in your case, the above aproach would be to have a kind of arm
between the two doors, and rotate the arm toward the car to charge when in use.

And when not in use, install a small receiver like I did,
to attach the end of the plug back to the middle wall and above the charger.

View attachment 847329
This is an excellent set up for 2 car garages. I made something similar with a round pole pivoting on a bracket from a ceiling joist, (a little welding). No part of the cable or the handle can touch the floor, no tripping hazard, no winding the cord.

I think OP was suggesting that the wrapped cable would protrude past the 9" width on both sides, so any flush mount solution would have the cable touching the garage door rails. But having the holster offset with a block might still be a better slimmer profile than offsetting the wall charger body itself. ..
This exactly my understanding that rolling the cable will interfere with the door mecanism.

This is why I proposed (See above #2 posting) to used an arm to hold the cable,
so you don't have to deal with rolling the cable to store it.

Note: It would be helpful if the OP would post some pictures since every situation is different.
Also getting the estimated instalation quote would be informative,
and often getting multiple estimate are always recommended.
The cost is often 10 to 20% for the hardward cost and the rest is mostly labor and may be permit fees.

Last edited:
You don't actually need to use the holster on the HPWC. Consider getting a second holster/cordhanger where the charge handle sticks straight out of the wall, and then you don't need to specially mount the HPWC, other than mounting it a bit higher than you might usually.

This is one example, of many: www.ebay.com/itm/224324607397
Something I experienced was that the receptacle used to hold the plug has a little protuberance
to maintain the plug from falling down. However after a while this protuberance get worn out.
(I think someone from my family didn't know about and just pull out the plug and broke the little knob.)

So, I turn the receptacle upward (se picture below) to hold the plug.
In fact I find more simple and holding better the cable than previously)

Plug socket detail b.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s the interior of my garage. The space between the garage doors is what I’m thinking. The lowest quote I got was $1295 which invoices the permit.

I’m intrigued by the idea of using a pulley system to run the cable across the ceiling. It sure would be much cheaper than running it between the garage doors.
1661986242010.jpeg

Here’s the interior of my garage. The space between the garage doors is what I’m thinking. The lowest quote I got was $1295 which invoices the permit.

What is the length of conduit from your panel to the wall charger? I have seen quotes with $25 / ft.
Does the quote separate Labor from hardware cost?

I’m intrigued by the idea of using a pulley system to run the cable across the ceiling. It sure would be much cheaper than running it between the garage doors.
Diging from older threads:

2018-04-12 17.18.43.jpg 2018-04-12 17.18.44.jpg Screenshot 2021-08-03 163547.png

Last edited:
I’m considering if these bi/tri fold clothes dry arm would do the trick