Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger installation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well (fingers crossed) I should be taking delivery of my 2018 MX next Saturday. I purchased gen2 wall changer and plan on installing it this week. It will be outside going through a cinder block wall and the breaker box will be about 10 feet away. Should I use 6/3 or 4/3 cable? I would like to set the charging at 48 amps. Also, would it be okay to run the cable through the wall without any conduit? Thanks in advance for any advice!

4 gauge would be a better choice if you want some future proofing, but 6 gauge THHN in conduit is okay. Use individual wires, not Romex, and use conduit everywhere, even through the cinder block. non-metal conduit is fine, and easier to bend (with a foot +/- hair dryer), compared to metal conduit. Romex type wire has to be larger gauge for heat dissipation, and its more delicate if it gets hit by a shovel or something. 60 amp breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
4 gauge would be a better choice if you want some future proofing, but 6 gauge THHN in conduit is okay. Use individual wires, not Romex, and use conduit everywhere, even through the cinder block. non-metal conduit is fine, and easier to bend (with a foot +/- hair dryer), compared to metal conduit. Romex type wire has to be larger gauge for heat dissipation, and its more delicate if it gets hit by a shovel or something. 60 amp breaker.

Thanks for the quick response! I think 6 gauge with conduit is what I'll be doing.

Thanks for the quick response! I think 6 gauge with conduit is what I'll be doing.

Would 1/2 inch conduit be okay?

Half inch conduit is too small. You're not allowed to use less than 3/4", and frankly it would be really hard to pull the wires through it. use 3/4" (or 1" if you plan on putting bigger wires in later). use a wire snake to pull the wires through, and if its difficult you can put some liquid soap on the wire first as a lubricant. Youll need three wires: two conductors and one ground. the ground wire can be 6 or 8 gauge, the conductors should be 6 gauge and any color aside from green or white.

Half inch conduit is too small. You're not allowed to use less than 3/4", and frankly it would be really hard to pull the wires through it. use 3/4" (or 1" if you plan on putting bigger wires in later). use a wire snake to pull the wires through, and if its difficult you can put some liquid soap on the wire first as a lubricant. Youll need three wires: two conductors and one ground. the ground wire can be 6 or 8 gauge, the conductors should be 6 gauge and any color aside from green or white.

Thanks

Further, you do not need 6/3 or 4/3. The WC Does not use the neutral at all. 6/2 (plus ground) is fine

Everyone has been very helpful! I bought 30 ft lengths each of black, red and green 6 AWG THHN. I'm going to install the charger outside and run the conduit and wire to the outside of the main panel then have a licensed electrical finish from there and inspect the work I already completed.