Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger - only Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any car that adheres strictly to CCS Combo 2 specifications with respect to timings can charge on a EU TWC-- not only Tesla. If you set the second DIP switch to "Legacy" then even more cars can charge (the manual just says the switch should be "on" but the TWC cover documents what it's for). There remain a few that will sometimes not work, or only work with tricks (like holding a button on an adapter for 10 seconds to simulate a delay between proximity control and charging control signals). But that is, of course, entirely the problem of the car -- standards are standards. Some cars just make contact with PC and CC at the same time, and that's not what they're supposed to do.

One caveat, though: the EU TWC will, for a Tesla, balance output over three phases and limit the output current on each phase to the rotary switch setting, so if you set it to 16A (11kW over three phases for a Tesla) a car with a single phase on-board charger wil only charge at 3,7kW (i.e. the speed you can get with an EEC 16-ampere single phase socket -- hardly worth buying a TWC for that). I've got mine set up like that, since the on-board charger for the Model 3 is also limited to 16A per phase.

It's possible to change the switches to allow up to 32A per phase, but then the electrical installation that is upstream (which can be single phase) also needs to handle a maximum of 32A per phase that you are using, obviously -- you really don't want to fry your house when someone with a Model X starts charging ;-). Oh, and for safety reasons the RCD upstream needs to be of EV or B type, especially if it's downstream from an A-type RCD (otherwise the Type A RCD might not work for the rest of your house if something non-nominal happens!)

Last edited: