Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger vs Charge Point vs Juice Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else opt'ed for a Charge Point Home or Juice Box charger? My local utility PSEG Long Island has a $500 rebate on connected EV home charger. Unfortunately Tesla Wall Charger isn't one of them.

Is there a max amperage the MY charges at? Both Charge Point and Juice Box max out at 50 amps.

TIA!

Has anyone else opt'ed for a Charge Point Home or Juice Box charger? My local utility PSEG Long Island has a $500 rebate on connected EV home charger. Unfortunately Tesla Wall Charger isn't one of them.

Is there a max amperage the MY charges at? Both Charge Point and Juice Box max out at 50 amps.

TIA!

I can answer your question. I am on Long Island also. I have the chargepoint but previously had the Tesla charger. The chargepoint is a better unit. The chargepoint can charge at 50amps. Your model Y will only charge max 48amps. I charge at 32amps just because I find it's more than fast enough anyway. You apply for the rebate online and they will either deduct it from you electric bill or send you a check. You set the charger to only charge between 11pm - 6am and you get time of use rewards at the end of the quarter. The only downside to the non-tesla charger is you need to use your adapter that came with the car. It's simple.

Tesla chargers don't have as many features as the chargepoint. The chargepoint has an app where you can turn it on and off, set time of use, see charging activity with estimated cost, see kwh in, estimated miles in, see monthly trends, it will remind you if you forgot to plug in by a certain time and a few other things. It also has a desktop site that gives you more stats. It comes with a removable plug for an outlet or you can hardwire it. It's easy to install.

Tesla charger just charges at 48amps max. Doesn't need the adapter. You will need to open your charging door by taping it with your hand vs pushing the button on the Tesla charger.

Last edited:
I can answer your question. I am on Long Island also. I have the chargepoint but previously had the Tesla charger. The chargepoint is a better unit. The chargepoint can charge at 50amps. Your model Y will only charge max 48amps. I charge at 32amps just because I find it's more than fast enough anyway. You apply for the rebate online and they will either deduct it from you electric bill or send you a check. You set the charger to only charge between 11pm - 6am and you get time of use rewards at the end of the quarter. The only downside to the non-tesla charger is you need to use your adapter that came with the car. It's simple.

Tesla chargers don't have as many features as the chargepoint. The chargepoint has an app where you can turn it on and off, set time of use, see charging activity with estimated cost, see kwh in, estimated miles in, see monthly trends, it will remind you if you forgot to plug in by a certain time and a few other things. It also has a desktop site that gives you more stats. It comes with a removable plug for an outlet or you can hardwire it. It's easy to install.

Tesla charger just charges at 48amps max. Doesn't need the adapter. You will need to open your charging door by taping it with your hand vs pushing the button on the Tesla charger.

Good stuff! Thanks pal!

I have one of the JuiceBox units. It is similar in most respects to what P3dStealth described for the Charepoint -- it has a great app and website that provides good usage information (including the ability to download details of all charging sessions), set up notifications, etc. The one difference is that depending on which JuiceBox you purchase (I have the 40 - which provides 40 amps), your charging speed may be a little slower but I've found I can still fully charge overnight.

I've had the JuiceBox for several years and it has been reliable for me and suits my needs.

• Helpful
Reactions: aspushkin
I have the Juicebox Pro40, I got the $500 rebate check from PSEG Long Island for it. I have solar so crediting my account didn't make sense as I have a six month surplus of energy in my account already. The Pro40 worked great on my Bolt, the car maxed out at 32amps.. and I only had one charging flaw in the year+ I used the Juicebox before selling the Bolt. For almost free... the Juicebox is an excellent unit. I intend to use it for my MY once it arrives.

Hi all, I have a chargepoint that was installed by the previous home owner. Is it normal for the J1772 adapter not to fit tightly on the chargepoint end? I find that I also have to put the adapter into the car then the chargepoint charger to the adapter before charging initiates. If I try to connect adapter to the charger before plugging in, it won't initiate charge. I'm also getting 38A max charge, is there anything I can do to change that? The car setting is set to 50A. I was looking to get the tesla wall charger to replace it if needed.

The Tesla wall-mount on a 60 amp circuit will charge at 48 amps if hardwired, less if you use a NEMA 14-50 plug-in wall mount. I use a Juicebox 40 plug-in and it charges at 40 amps more than needed for an overnight charge. I also bought an extra J1772 adaptor to keep in the car. The other adapter I leave permanently attached to the Juicebox cable.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Hi all, I have a chargepoint that was installed by the previous home owner. Is it normal for the J1772 adapter not to fit tightly on the chargepoint end? I find that I also have to put the adapter into the car then the chargepoint charger to the adapter before charging initiates. If I try to connect adapter to the charger before plugging in, it won't initiate charge. I'm also getting 38A max charge, is there anything I can do to change that? The car setting is set to 50A. I was looking to get the tesla wall charger to replace it if needed.

Check to see if the Chargepoint J1772 connector has a light green silicone weatherproofing seal inside the plug cavity. If the adapter is loose, that seal was likely removed because it tends to roll over and jam.
I've had that problem on both our CT-500 and CT-4000, which now have the damaged seals removed.

So what did you guys decide?

I am in between the Tesla wall and the Charge Point, and the only thing that has me still thinking is that adaptor.
If you leave it on the charger, it will not fit in the holster....

On the other side, 2 years of free charging (or they credit you) with pseg from 11 to 6 is great.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer

I don't have any of these problems. Maybe you have an older version of the chargepoint? Have you sat in the car while it's charging and turned up the amps? Maybe check the chargepoint settings?

So what did you guys decide?

I am in between the Tesla wall and the Charge Point, and the only thing that has me still thinking is that adaptor.
If you leave it on the charger, it will not fit in the holster....

On the other side, 2 years of free charging (or they credit you) with pseg from 11 to 6 is great.

What 2 years of free charging? Did I miss a discount?

I have a 3d printed holder for the adapter. I just drop it right in.

PXL_20201014_024539889.jpg
PXL_20201014_024603910.jpg

Reactions: Physicslawyer