Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger vs Charge Point vs Juice Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 3d printed holder for the adapter. I just drop it right in.

View attachment 598271 View attachment 598272
I just put the adapter on top. Fits snugly.
AFBC1C3A-9760-4664-9A71-EF2763C468E1.jpeg

I can answer your question. I am on Long Island also. I have the chargepoint but previously had the Tesla charger. The chargepoint is a better unit. The chargepoint can charge at 50amps. Your model Y will only charge max 48amps. I charge at 32amps just because I find it's more than fast enough anyway. You apply for the rebate online and they will either deduct it from you electric bill or send you a check. You set the charger to only charge between 11pm - 6am and you get time of use rewards at the end of the quarter. The only downside to the non-tesla charger is you need to use your adapter that came with the car. It's simple.

Tesla chargers don't have as many features as the chargepoint. The chargepoint has an app where you can turn it on and off, set time of use, see charging activity with estimated cost, see kwh in, estimated miles in, see monthly trends, it will remind you if you forgot to plug in by a certain time and a few other things. It also has a desktop site that gives you more stats. It comes with a removable plug for an outlet or you can hardwire it. It's easy to install.

Tesla charger just charges at 48amps max. Doesn't need the adapter. You will need to open your charging door by taping it with your hand vs pushing the button on the Tesla charger.
Hello I'm in Long Island too, I just installed a Chargepoint charger in my garage and I am picking up my first Tesla on Saturday. I purchased what I thought was the adapter to plug the Telsa into the Chargepoint unit but it actually looks like an adapter that goes into the 6-50
NEMA outlet.
I'm wondering if you can share what piece I need to purchase in order to connect my Tesla's charger to the Chargepoint unit?
thank you for your help!

Has anyone else opt'ed for a Charge Point Home or Juice Box charger? My local utility PSEG Long Island has a $500 rebate on connected EV home charger. Unfortunately Tesla Wall Charger isn't one of them.

Is there a max amperage the MY charges at? Both Charge Point and Juice Box max out at 50 amps.

TIA!
These both work, but using the J1772 adapter is a pain when it's used on a daily basis. A NEMA 14-50 is really a better choice (assuming you don't want to spend $500 for the Tesla Wall Connector) unless you are charging non-Tesla cars as well.

Hello I'm in Long Island too, I just installed a Chargepoint charger in my garage and I am picking up my first Tesla on Saturday. I purchased what I thought was the adapter to plug the Telsa into the Chargepoint unit but it actually looks like an adapter that goes into the 6-50
NEMA outlet.
I'm wondering if you can share what piece I need to purchase in order to connect my Tesla's charger to the Chargepoint unit?
thank you for your help!

You don't need anything. When you pick up the Tesla the adapter will be in the trunk for free. It's simple you just plug the adapter in and plug the car in.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
These both work, but using the J1772 adapter is a pain when it's used on a daily basis. A NEMA 14-50 is really a better choice (assuming you don't want to spend $500 for the Tesla Wall Connector) unless you are charging non-Tesla cars as well.

He is on Long Island. PSEG gives him half off his electric if he uses a chargepoint or juice box.

It's also incredibly easy to use even with the adapter. You don't even have to remove it from the cable if you want. You can just hang the cable up with the adapter on.

Why is it a pain to use the adapter? Other than the cost, I just bought one for my work one and keep the the stock one at home. Don’t need to remove it. Works great!

It’s not a pain. I keep the included Tesla J1772 adapter in the drivers side door pocket. If I’m going to charge using my ChargePoint Home Flex at my house I just grab the adapter when I get out, attach it to the ChargePoint cable and plug it into the charge port on the Tesla. It becomes like muscle memory and isn’t really a big deal at all.

I bought juicebox and have been happy with it. I did need to install a mesh system so that the garage had better internet service. Most utilities require the charging units to be online so that the utility can track usage. Biggest advantage with juicebox is price - Costco sells the unit for a nice discount. The $500 rebate about pays for the unit.

Why is it a pain to use the adapter? Other than the cost, I just bought one for my work one and keep the the stock one at home. Don’t need to remove it. Works great!
Exactly what I did. The only thing I have to be careful of is not forgetting my adapter at work, where I use it daily.

That reminds me of a time, before I got my Tesla, that I ran into a woman at the local mall, struggling to plug her LEAF into a public EVSE. Someone had left their J1772 to Tesla adapter in the plug. I removed it and solved her problem. I left it on top of the EVSE just in case the owner came back looking for it, but I didn't have a lot of hope.

I have a Juicebox 40 which I bought directly from PSEG for (I believe) about $125.- I use it to charge my model Y and my Taycan. The charging cable is long enough to reach inside the garage to charge the Taycan (the charge port is in the front) and on the driveway to charge the model Y (the charge port is in the back).
I keep the Tesla adapter on on top of the Juicebox so its ready when I need to charge the model Y. Since I only charge once a week, there is very little inconvenience.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer