Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger vs ChargePoint (or others) - Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at getting a L2 charger installed for my (soon to be delivered) Model 3. I'll probably go with a 60A circuit - as I want to future-proof as we'll be getting a Rivian R1S in 2 years as well and want to be able to charge that via it's 11kW charger fairly fast.

For now - I was thinking of getting the Tesla Wall charger and then swapping it in a few years for a J1772 unit that can charge both vehicles (don't need to charge both at same time).

The price of the Tesla unit is $635 CDN and can support 60A (or higher). If I look at ChargePoint, JuiceBox, ClipperCreek, Flo - I'm paying significantly more ($900-$1200) for those units that pull less power.

I know ChargePoint/JuiceBox/Flo have apps and wifi connectivity. Does the Tesla Wall Charger integrate with the Tesla app at all? Show you charge histories and cost/etc? or is it basically a "dumb" charger in that regard aside from looking nice, not requiring an adaptor and auto locking/unlocking charge port door?

I don't need the high capacity of the Tesla unit - it just seems its the cheapest option....and I'm wondering if I'm missing a reason *why* it's so much cheaper than the other brands. I'd actually expect to pay more because it's Tesla brand :)

It’s dumb. All the smart stuff happens in the car.

What smarts do you get on a Tesla for that? Data of past few charges? I know you can set limit and time. Not sure what else you get that these other units provide in their app (or would give up using Tesla one).

I assume all that same data is present regardless of what L2 charger you use? And the same features (pre-heat, start time, limit)..

What smarts do you get on a Tesla for that? Data of past few charges? I know you can set limit and time. Not sure what else you get that these other units provide in their app (or would give up using Tesla one).

I assume all that same data is present regardless of what L2 charger you use? And the same features (pre-heat, start time, limit)..

Yes basically just scheduling, amperage setting, etc. Not much in way of history, consumption, etc. Teslafi does that sort of stuff for a subscription fee if you find it important.

It’s plug and play. Couldn’t be any simpler. You can set start time if you have TOU rate, and turn down the default amps (but there’s no reason to). Best to just plug in when you get home, unplug in the morning, and ignore it. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

I don't need the high capacity of the Tesla unit - it just seems its the cheapest option....and I'm wondering if I'm missing a reason *why* it's so much cheaper than the other brands. I'd actually expect to pay more because it's Tesla brand :)
Why not install an outlet and use the Mobile Connector included with the car? I wouldn't buy an EVSE now if you can already forsee that you'll need a new one in 2 years.

The Wall Charger is not smart or connected in any way. If you need the charging history, you could use something like TeslaFi that can log all kinds of information from the car. Basic scheduling (start time) can be done in the car no matter what EVSE is used.

I'm looking at getting a L2 charger installed for my (soon to be delivered) Model 3. I'll probably go with a 60A circuit - as I want to future-proof as we'll be getting a Rivian R1S in 2 years as well and want to be able to charge that via it's 11kW charger fairly fast.

For now - I was thinking of getting the Tesla Wall charger and then swapping it in a few years for a J1772 unit that can charge both vehicles (don't need to charge both at same time).

The price of the Tesla unit is $635 CDN and can support 60A (or higher). If I look at ChargePoint, JuiceBox, ClipperCreek, Flo - I'm paying significantly more ($900-$1200) for those units that pull less power.

I know ChargePoint/JuiceBox/Flo have apps and wifi connectivity. Does the Tesla Wall Charger integrate with the Tesla app at all? Show you charge histories and cost/etc? or is it basically a "dumb" charger in that regard aside from looking nice, not requiring an adaptor and auto locking/unlocking charge port door?

If you ever need a J1772, then order one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/TeslaTap-Tes...J2AJJBMZBNJ&psc=1&refRID=GT6CPS2HRJ2AJJBMZBNJ

Why not install an outlet and use the Mobile Connector included with the car? I wouldn't buy an EVSE now if you can already forsee that you'll need a new one in 2 years.

Well I wouldnt need a new one if I got a non-Tesla one as I'd already have one that works with the Rivian. If I bought the Tesla one I'd probably just sell it when I replaced it.

Seems the benefits of the Tesla one is
convenience and savings (and higher charge rate). The other brands mean no change required down the road (unless we need faster charging), get benefits of their apps - at a higher cost now.

• Funny
Reactions: Rachmaninov
Seems the benefits of the Tesla one is
convenience and savings (and higher charge rate). The other brands mean no change required down the road (unless we need faster charging), get benefits of their apps - at a higher cost now.
I don't know what the Rivian will do, but at least for the Tesla I don't think you will get a lot of value out of the apps. Starting to charge through the EVSE wouldn't even work most of the time since the car will not start charging when it's in sleep mode when the power comes on. What I do find useful is tracking the kWh, but there are less expensive ways to do that.

I like the OpenEVSE hardware for it's flexibility, scheduling, data recording, and can be software controlled for 10A to 40A, stop after time or amount of kwhr. It's open hardware and open source and can be installed outside in the elements.

I'm inclined to agree with Eno Deb, since that's the least costly option in the short term, without creating complications with respect to future options. My second-choice option would be to buy a J1772 EVSE, perhaps along with a second J1772 adapter for the Tesla, so you can keep a J1772 adapter in the car at all times without having to plug/unplug the adapter from your J1772 EVSE whenever you want to use that EVSE. Buying a Tesla Wall Connector when you're pretty sure you're going to replace it in a couple of years seems pretty pointless. At best, you'll get a moderate fraction of what you paid for it when you sell it, and you'll have to arrange for an electrician to come out again to disconnect it and connect the J1772 EVSE, so you'll end up losing money in the long run, and you'll have the extra hassle of buying it, selling the Tesla Wall Connector, and arranging for the electrician's visit.

FWIW, I own a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet board. I bought it about 2.5 years ago for use with a Chevy Volt that I began leasing a few months before that, and that I've now replaced with my Model 3. The HCS-40 is oversized for the Volt, and now my Model 3 LR RWD could charge at a higher rate if I had a Tesla Wall Connector instead, but the difference isn't worth the cost and hassle of replacing the HCS-40. The JuiceNet data is interesting, but not critical. As others have noted, the Tesla may not charge based on the JuiceNet schedule, since the car won't respond to a change in state of the EVSE if the car is asleep. Apparently eMotorWerks is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. The really interesting feature of the JuiceNet software is the ability to coordinate charge times with an electric utility to help the utility spread loads and/or to maximize your use of renewable energy; however, that feature is only supported by a few utilities, and using it would require a fix to the problem of the EVSE's charge-timing feature not working well with Teslas. Overall, then, if you wanted a J1772 EVSE, you might want to look into something a bit less expensive that's not network-enabled. You're unlikely to find anything priced significantly below the Tesla Wall Connector that can deliver 32A or better, but you might find something in the same ballpark. (There are some cheaper 16A and 24A units, but I'd recommend at least a 32A unit for charging a Tesla.)

Given the lower cost of the HPWC, I’d consider going with that and just getting a Tesla -> J1772 adapter when you get the Rivian as suggested above. If you’re dead set on replacing the HPWC after a few years, then just go ahead with that, because it will end up being cheaper in the long run.

What I like about the HPWC is the one button press to open the chargeport door. When using J1772 EVSEs, I’m always forgetting I need to open the port in the car before I get out, or I end up needing the fumble with my phone. It’s a very small convenience but I do enjoy having it. I also found disconnecting the J1772 with adapter a bit more a pain, but I think that was just because I was getting used to it when I first got the car.

Lots of good feedback here. Thanks everyone!

If I went with just a NEMA 14-50 and used mobile unit. Would I get the same rate of charge vs a EVSE plugged into the same outlet with same breaker (50A) ? And in both cases it would be pulling 80% of that as 40A right?

Seems that might be best path. Just go with the outlet for now. At 40A actual pull it would almost charge the 2 cars at their max speed (not quite, but closer than a 32A unit would).

If I get annoyed with the mobile plug or Rivian doesn't include a NEMA plug with the R1S - get an EVSE that plugs into the outlet. No additional calls to an electrician.

Lots of good feedback here. Thanks everyone!

If I went with just a NEMA 14-50 and used mobile unit. Would I get the same rate of charge vs a EVSE plugged into the same outlet with same breaker (50A) ? And in both cases it would be pulling 80% of that as 40A right?
No, the Mobile Connector is limited to 32A. But unless you have an extremely long commute that will probably be more than enough (adds about 30 miles of range per hour).

The “smart” part of the WC is the ability to share power between two units and not exceed the set limit.

Not many units that have this feature for the price.

Great for those of us that can only put in a 50 or 60a breaker due to house capacity and have two cars.

I just had a Tesla wall connector installed today. The electrician installed a 60a breaker, so the wall connector is delivering 48 amps @ 240v.

I'm very happy with the install; he did a really nice job. He also added a simple outdoor non-fused disconnect - that's the box next to the charger. The really nice thing about this style of installation is that - if for some reason I ever want to replace the Tesla charger, it's very simple to do so. Just have to shut off the power, open the disconnect, remove the Tesla charger and install whatever I want. This is a very simple way to change things later if I need something different.

Great install and I'm charing at a full 48amps. Love it - strongly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 627
I like the OpenEVSE hardware for it's flexibility, scheduling, data recording, and can be software controlled for 10A to 40A, stop after time or amount of kwhr. It's open hardware and open source and can be installed outside in the elements.

Same here on suggesting the OpenEVSE units. Technically, they also support up to 80 amps, but to do that, you’d need to source your own contactor and J1772 handle.

One of the features that I really like on them is that they keep track of energy usage on a per session basis and running total. Every month, I reset a trip meter in the car and write down how many kWh I used on the car (subtract current value from previous month’s value). Easy way to keep track of “fuel” expense. Only poor thing on their design is that they assume a constant 240V, so my kWh values are slightly below reality since i’m At about 237V when charging.

They also support real-time pushing of all the charging stats to an Internet site with an included wi-fi module. This module also presents an API to your home network that allows you to do automation with something like IFTT, if you’re into that stuff.

I purchased an extra J1772 adapter and leave that permanently mounted on the OpenEVSE unit in the garage. That allows me to leave the UMC and a J1772 adapter in the car and not need to remember to grab adapters when 8 may want to charge away from home.

Reactions: eprosenx
All of which is unnecessary. You would never dial down the amps when charging a Tesla at home, or charge to a set number of kWh, or stop after a certain time. Just keep the car plugged in when you’re home and let the car charge when it needs to (or set time to start in the car if you have TOU rate). Some people make this way too complicated. You may be overthinking this.

Last month I bought a brand new Tesla Signature Wall Connector for our daughter-in-law's Model 3 Dual Motor on Craigslist for $375. Electrician installed on a 60A breaker so it charges at 48A. EASY, CHEAPER and LOOKS much better than any 3rd party charger.

The only reason I'd consider buying a 3rd party EV charger to charge a Tesla would be if it would pay for itself with "rewards" via a company like OhmConnect.

We actually had our Tesla High Power Wall Charger installed in late 2015 as part of our utilities "EV Submetering Phase 1 Pilot" using a free EV MotorWerks "WattBox" to create a "virtual" EV submeter and earning OhmConnect "credits".

Unfortunately:
  • the EV Submetering Phase 1 Pilot ended ~ 9 months later... and EV Submetering Phase 2 Pilot excluded our WattBox (crazy huh?)
  • the separately metered EV electric kWh rate was the same as our Super Off-Peak kWh rate on our "regular" meter
  • OhmConnect drastically reduced our "rewards"
  • SCE policy changed so we can only use ONE "Demand Response Program"... and we save a LOT more $$$ on SCE's Summer Discount Plan than OhmConnect "rewards"
Loved the WattBox since it gave detailed charging history ("logs") both via a web portal and EmotorWerks awesome "EV JuiceNet" iOS app. Made documenting our Tesla's "fuel" cost easy for reimbursement and tax purposes.