Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger VS J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm doing a project in my multi home building where several of us are installing an EV Charger and get rebates from the local government.
The only caveat of this program is it requires the charger to be J1772.
Would it be terrible for me to install a Chargepoint Flex or other non-Tesla charger?
I guess I can buy J1772 adapter for $50 and leave it attached to the charger.

Hello, I'm doing a project in my multi home building where several of us are installing an EV Charger and get rebates from the local government.
Would it be terrible for me to install a Chargepoint Flex or other non-Tesla charger?

Which rebate are you applying for? Some state that they require J1772 but when you read the requirements, Tesla HPWC are acceptable. I had the same thought when I did my LADWP rebate a few years ago - I thought it needed to be a J1772 but was able to get the rebate for the HPWC.

Which rebate are you applying for? Some state that they require J1772 but when you read the requirements, Tesla HPWC are acceptable. I had the same thought when I did my LADWP rebate a few years ago - I thought it needed to be a J1772 but was able to get the rebate for the HPWC.
Santa Monica. I'll ask them before I unbox the charger, maybe they will accommodate it.
Although the wording is very clear on their rebate application:
Chargers must utilize the SAE J1772 charging plug and must be new and unused; certified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc (UL Listed)

Santa Monica. I'll ask them before I unbox the charger, maybe they will accommodate it.
Although the wording is very clear on their rebate application:
Chargers must utilize the SAE J1772 charging plug and must be new and unused; certified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc (UL Listed)
Check and see - you can buy a Tesla ->J1772 adapter to use a Tesla wall connector on a J1772 plug but that may not qualify.

A J1772 is more universal, if it didn't have a 50A/240V outlet already in my garage, I'd have gotten the J1772 and just bought an adapter, instead I just bought the appropriate plug and is the charger that came with the car. I don't want to be locked into an ecosystem.

A J1772 is more universal, if it didn't have a 50A/240V outlet already in my garage, I'd have gotten the J1772 and just bought an adapter, instead I just bought the appropriate plug and is the charger that came with the car. I don't want to be locked into an ecosystem.
Yeah - our electric utility has an off peak charging program that requires you use a clipper creek/Zefnet charger. I just leave the J1772 adapter on it and it works fine. My only complaint is I don't have the little button to open the charge port (Yeah, I know, first world problems!)

• Helpful
Reactions: jsmay311
I sometimes joke about the extra effort it takes to press the garage door opener button when pulling up to the garage door in my wife's car. Even sometimes joke about my thumb getting sprained.
Don't joke - that's a serious injury! :p
Dude! I literally hear about this from my wife! Except instead of the garage door opener, it's the turn signal lever of our other car--2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. Apparently something about where it sits and where her finger presses on it causes a muscle in her finger to hurt sometimes, and she will come in with the mock sad pouty lip, talking about how the car sprained her finger again. Maybe I can use that to convince her to get rid of the ole gas guzzler and get another Tesla.

Every new Tesla vehicle comes with an SAE J1772 adapter. The new price is $50 from the Tesla online store if you want a second J1772 adapter. Don't leave the J1772 adapter attached to the charging cable, else it is likely to grow legs. I keep my J1772 adapter in a cup holder in the door pocket of the driver's door of my Model Y.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Dude! I literally hear about this from my wife! Except instead of the garage door opener, it's the turn signal lever of our other car--2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. Apparently something about where it sits and where her finger presses on it causes a muscle in her finger to hurt sometimes, and she will come in with the mock sad pouty lip, talking about how the car sprained her finger again. Maybe I can use that to convince her to get rid of the ole gas guzzler and get another Tesla.
Yeah, I definitely think you need to get her a Tesla before she seriously injured herself!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Check and see - you can buy a Tesla ->J1772 adapter to use a Tesla wall connector on a J1772 plug but that may not qualify.
Is there really an adapter available that would let you use a Tesla charger, with its Tesla specific plug, and convert that to a J1772 plug for use with a non-Tesla vehicle that has a J1772 charging port. A link to where I can buy one? This adapter would be the reverse of the one that comes with Tesla EVs and what Tesla sells on their web site. I would like to be able to use the same charger for my upcoming MY as well as with a plug-in hybrid. Until now I have assumed I would need a J1772 charger (which I already own/use) and then use the supplied J1772-to-Tesla adapter when charging the MY and without that adapter to charge my plug-in hybrid.

Last edited:
Is there really an adapter available that would let you use a Tesla charger, with its Tesla specific plug, and convert that to a J1772 plug for use with a non-Tesla vehicle that has a J1772 charging port. This adapter would be the reverse of the one that comes with Tesla EVs and what Tesla sells on their web site. I would like to be able to use the same charger for my upcoming MY as well as with a plug-in hybrid.
Yes, there are several.