Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger VS J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I would only install a j1772 adapter at home. So many more EVs are coming out that all are reliant on the j1772 and I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla switches to CCS1 (j1772 compatible) in the future like they did in EU with CCS2. With at least the ChargePoint you can get 11.5Kwh charging and I find no issue with the using the adapter. The car unlocks without issue to unplug and plugging in is fine as long as you do it when you get out of the car.

Unless you are eligible for a rebate from your local utility etc. when installing a J1772 charging station the Tesla Wall Connector is a choice and a good value (even though the price recently increased by $50 to $550 US.) If you comparison shop similar charging equipment capable of up to 11.5kW you will find that the J1772 alternatives are quite a bit more expensive than the Wall Connector. That said, I charge using a J1772 charging station at home and away. The only time I have used a charging station with a Tesla charging connector is when I use a Supercharger.

Reactions: dogmodes
Until now I have assumed I would need a J1772 charger (which I already own/use) and then use the supplied J1772-to-Tesla adapter when charging the MY and without that adapter to charge my plug-in hybrid.
There are a few companies that make those other ones that are Tesla to J1772, but they are all kind of bulky and dangly and cumbersome. I would prefer to go the other way if I had to mix EVs because the Tesla-supplied J1772 to Tesla adapter is very small and compact and easier to work with frequently and is OEM supported.

There are a few companies that make those other ones that are Tesla to J1772, but they are all kind of bulky and dangly and cumbersome. I would prefer to go the other way if I had to mix EVs because the Tesla-supplied J1772 to Tesla adapter is very small and compact and easier to work with frequently and is OEM supported.
I have had a few sentry cam videos of people trying to use those Tesla->J1772s on their Mach-e’s next to me and neither got them to work. Not sure if they needed an update or were doing something wrong. They are pretty bulky as you said. I honestly just wish we were all on the same platform.

I have had a few sentry cam videos of people trying to use those Tesla->J1772s on their Mach-e’s next to me and neither got them to work. Not sure if they needed an update or were doing something wrong. They are pretty bulky as you said. I honestly just wish we were all on the same platform.
Was this at a Tesla Supercharger location? The Tesla to J1772 adapter won't work with a Supercharger.

If you want a less bulky one, check out TeslaTap Mini.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and house9