Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger Wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been away from this thread a few days...

Does this mean I should not use a 6/2 MC cable (link below) since I'll be charging at 48A continuous?

Metal Clad MC Cable 6/2 - Type MC Copper Electrical Wire 6 Gauge 2 Conductor
6AWG is good for 55A when using the 60° column, which you have to do for NM, or if your terminals are only rated for 60°. It’s good for 65A if it’s THHN (which that MC cable has) in an appropriate conduit, and all connections are rated at 75° (check your breaker specs and the wall connector specs). There can also be other factors that require you to derate the wire (such as too many wires in too small of a conduit, or running the conduit through insulation). I don’t know them all - I’m not a licensed electrician.

I've been away from this thread a few days...

Does this mean I should not use a 6/2 MC cable (link below) since I'll be charging at 48A continuous?

Metal Clad MC Cable 6/2 - Type MC Copper Electrical Wire 6 Gauge 2 Conductor

Wow so this is really interesting. They are quoting 55 amps as the rating for that wire, which is the rating for 6 awg at 55 amps.

My reading of MC wire rules is that you can use the 75c rating for this application which allows for 65 amps.

But check me on this!

Also, 6/2 is fine for direct wiring a HPWC but a NEMA 14-50 would need a neutral. A NEMA 6-50 would not need a neutral.

Right now I am planning on installing a 14-50 plug that will have to run around 50 feet total (box to outlet) through my attic. i already have one referral though and assume I could get another sometime which would get me a wall charger. Would a 100 amp box be able to support a wall charger? or is it certain I would need to upgrade my box? Right now my max 15 minute meter draw is 1.62 kwh or roughly 6.5 kw in an hour with my dryer taking up 1/2 of that.

My main question was mainly going to be what wire I could use to do a 14-50 amp now and just upgrade to the wall charger later without redoing everything. I assume use 50 amp breaker for 14-50 and 60 amp breaker for wall charger om my RWD Model 3.

That's if it doesn't cost to much to redo my breaker box if needed. I should be able to add the 14-50 with no major upgrades. My first quote was $845, but seeing if I can get a friend to help on installing that and have his electrician dad confirm its good to go.