Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger with plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about setting up an outlet 240v outside my house to charge with the mobile charge cable.

I might get a Tesla wall charger down the road.

Do they make one with a plug? or should I just buy a whip and connect it and plug it in.

I think I will be installing a 50 amp outlet 14-50.

Will I be loosing charging capability this way instead of hard wiring the wall charger?

Or will it not matter since I think the M3 has a 32 amp limit

Do they make one with a plug? or should I just buy a whip and connect it and plug it in.
Not anymore. You can buy a range/dryer replacement power cord and install it in a HPWC. Just make sure it’s rated for 50A and not 30A.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-choice-6-range-cord/8929671.p?skuId=8929671

Will I be loosing charging capability this way instead of hard wiring the wall charger?

Or will it not matter since I think the M3 has a 32 amp limit

If you stick with an SR+, then it won’t matter. Even if you went with an LR or Performance, you’ll only lose 8A of capacity. (40A instead of 48A)

14-50 or Tesla Charger

What is max current on the corded mobile connecter.
Here are the connectors currently available:
  • Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle - This is what (currently) comes with all new cars, and includes the NEMA 5-15 (120V) adapter (and a bag). The unit has a maximum output of 32 amps, but the adapter limits that down: from as low as 12A max on 120V up to 32A max on a 45-50 or 6-50
  • Corded Mobile Connector - this has a NEMA 14-50 hard-wired on and is capable up to 40A if your car can take it (SR & SR+ are limited to 32A). This item is currently (and frequently) unavailable
  • Wall Connector - Hard wired to your house (or whatever). Can do up to 48A
  • Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - obsolete

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I believe a standard mobile connecter is 32 amps. The max a 14-50 can provide is 40 amps so guessing if it’s advertized as faster charging that’s probably it.
Yeah - I was having problems with that post. My original reply had something that was being interpreted as bad SQL code and was rejecting it. Took me several attempts to find the problem and complete it.