Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less concerned about vandalism and more about how it stands up to the elements. Our neighborhood is very safe but does have the occasional ring and run.

From the manual.

"Note: The Wall Connector is approved for outdoor use, but it is not designed for complete immersion in liquid. Protection from rain is recommended but not required."

I have mine installed outdoors with moderate protection from rain under an eave. No problems or issues so far.

No such thing as Tesla wall charger.
Lol... Yes, it's a 'Wall Connector', let's just say that. ;)

Seriously, I think the new user gets confused because the word charger IS in supercharger. And that does directly charge the batteries. So, unless you've been exposed to all this for a while, it is easy to think they are all 'chargers'.

As for the 'exposure' to the elements, I'm having two installed today, and took them apart to have them ready. The screws have sealing washers and the cover has a gasket, and they tell you to use glands (gaskets) on the conduits. So, it's pretty impervious to casual rain/snow. I'd probably still put it in a little 'house' to keep direct downpours off of it.

When I took a test drive, I asked the guy whether they could be installed outside. He says: "Like the one you're standing next to?" Umm. Yeah. Like that. Mine's now on the side of my house with the 24' cord to reach wherever i park next to the house. It's only been there a couple weeks, so I have no long-term data to offer, but I have those thoughts too. I wonder whether someone might charge their car while I'm at work. If I thought that was happening, I might turn off the circuit breaker during the day or put up a donation box. (It's a 100 amp connection, so I think $10 ought to cover it.)

I hope the 100 amps will discourage anyone from chopping off the cable.

I've thought about actually making it available on PlugShare or something.

But if it goes bad in 10 years, I'll replace it.

When I took a test drive, I asked the guy whether they could be installed outside. He says: "Like the one you're standing next to?" Umm. Yeah. Like that. Mine's now on the side of my house with the 24' cord to reach wherever i park next to the house. It's only been there a couple weeks, so I have no long-term data to offer, but I have those thoughts too. I wonder whether someone might charge their car while I'm at work. If I thought that was happening, I might turn off the circuit breaker during the day or put up a donation box. (It's a 100 amp connection, so I think $10 ought to cover it.)

I hope the 100 amps will discourage anyone from chopping off the cable.

I've thought about actually making it available on PlugShare or something.

But if it goes bad in 10 years, I'll replace it.
FYI It's my understanding that the cable doesn't have charge current until (and while) the car communicates that there is an acceptable connection.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll make the final decision on Monday when the electrician gets here.
I installed my Tesla Wall "Connector" with 24ft Cable Outside in Vancouver BC, just after Christmas and we have just been through one of our coldest winters here in a long time, so have had no issues with temp, however I do have covered glass roof over, so it stays dry. Have had two times that I went to plug in and saw a steady RED light on the Wall Connector. Do not know what caused this condition in both instants. The fix was to turn off the breaker, then turn it back on...back to GREEN! Bought the Tesla Wall Connector because it is a permanent connection on the wall and I do not have to take my traveling connection package out of it's bag every day, assuming you want to have it with you while traveling around locally, plus of course, I get more range per hr with Wall Connector (48km/Hr) ( 48amps @237V), than you get with the NEMA 14-50.

I Have had two times that I went to plug in and saw a steady RED light on the Wall Connector. Do not know what caused this condition in both instants. The fix was to turn off the breaker, then turn it back on...back to GREEN!

There's a red reset button on the side of the wall connector that will usually get things going again if you have the red light - a little easier than cycling the breaker.

I installed my wall charger outside. Had a string of thieves come through the neighborhood and one of them tried to steal it. The security cam I have shows him dismantling the cover and then trying to disconnect power. While doing that l, I guess he hit a live wire and flew back about 3-4ft and was motionless on the ground. Then a fire started from his glove and he was laying there almost up in flames when my neighbor came running out from the loud scream he heard.

The neighbor ended up pissing on him to put the fire out.....

Long story short: I installed it inside and that whole story was made up.

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca