TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Wall Charger

Discussion in 'Model X' started by JSZimmerman, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JSZimmerman

JSZimmerman Member

i live in Northern VA and bought a Tesla Wall Charger. I am contemplating installing outside vice inside my garage. Anyone have issues or with folks messing with it?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I guess it depends on your neighborhood.

3. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

What could they do, shut it off, reset the switches, be zapped to death, charge their Tesla, I can't think of a bad scenario brother, unless they are charging every nite while you don't know.

4. Obsoletion

Obsoletion Member

Some outdoor chargers have had the cord cut and stolen, for copper i guess... But like it was said, depends on the neighborhood. I installed mine inside and and put a 14-50 plug outside at the time of install

5. JSZimmerman

JSZimmerman Member

Less concerned about vandalism and more about how it stands up to the elements. Our neighborhood is very safe but does have the occasional ring and run.

6. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Destination chargers at 4 hotels I've been (Tesla wall units, 40 or 80amp), were all outside. Three of them were at >3000ft elevation so some elements there.

7. XP90D

XP90D Member

From the manual.

"Note: The Wall Connector is approved for outdoor use, but it is not designed for complete immersion in liquid. Protection from rain is recommended but not required."

I have mine installed outdoors with moderate protection from rain under an eave. No problems or issues so far.

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

No such thing as Tesla wall charger.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Lol... Yes, it's a 'Wall Connector', let's just say that. ;)

Seriously, I think the new user gets confused because the word charger IS in supercharger. And that does directly charge the batteries. So, unless you've been exposed to all this for a while, it is easy to think they are all 'chargers'.

As for the 'exposure' to the elements, I'm having two installed today, and took them apart to have them ready. The screws have sealing washers and the cover has a gasket, and they tell you to use glands (gaskets) on the conduits. So, it's pretty impervious to casual rain/snow. I'd probably still put it in a little 'house' to keep direct downpours off of it.

10. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Yah, walls don't need charging! ;)

11. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Unless you own a Power Wall! :p

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

When I took a test drive, I asked the guy whether they could be installed outside. He says: "Like the one you're standing next to?" Umm. Yeah. Like that. Mine's now on the side of my house with the 24' cord to reach wherever i park next to the house. It's only been there a couple weeks, so I have no long-term data to offer, but I have those thoughts too. I wonder whether someone might charge their car while I'm at work. If I thought that was happening, I might turn off the circuit breaker during the day or put up a donation box. (It's a 100 amp connection, so I think $10 ought to cover it.)

I hope the 100 amps will discourage anyone from chopping off the cable.

I've thought about actually making it available on PlugShare or something.

But if it goes bad in 10 years, I'll replace it.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

FYI It's my understanding that the cable doesn't have charge current until (and while) the car communicates that there is an acceptable connection.

14. JSZimmerman

JSZimmerman Member

Thanks for all the advice, I'll make the final decision on Monday when the electrician gets here.

15. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

So much for THAT hoped-for security feature. Maybe a camera high on the wall aimed down at the wall connector...

16. hareleyman

hareleyman Member

I installed my Tesla Wall "Connector" with 24ft Cable Outside in Vancouver BC, just after Christmas and we have just been through one of our coldest winters here in a long time, so have had no issues with temp, however I do have covered glass roof over, so it stays dry. Have had two times that I went to plug in and saw a steady RED light on the Wall Connector. Do not know what caused this condition in both instants. The fix was to turn off the breaker, then turn it back on...back to GREEN! Bought the Tesla Wall Connector because it is a permanent connection on the wall and I do not have to take my traveling connection package out of it's bag every day, assuming you want to have it with you while traveling around locally, plus of course, I get more range per hr with Wall Connector (48km/Hr) ( 48amps @237V), than you get with the NEMA 14-50.

17. travis010

travis010 Member

There's a red reset button on the side of the wall connector that will usually get things going again if you have the red light - a little easier than cycling the breaker.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

I installed my wall charger outside. Had a string of thieves come through the neighborhood and one of them tried to steal it. The security cam I have shows him dismantling the cover and then trying to disconnect power. While doing that l, I guess he hit a live wire and flew back about 3-4ft and was motionless on the ground. Then a fire started from his glove and he was laying there almost up in flames when my neighbor came running out from the loud scream he heard.

The neighbor ended up pissing on him to put the fire out.....

Long story short: I installed it inside and that whole story was made up.

• Funny x 1
  19. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Well, you had me until then.....

• Like x 2
  20. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, I was going to ask for a copy of the video... ;)

• Like x 1