Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - button not working - 2020.48.35.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
My button stopped working a week or so ago so now I have to unlock the charger using the screen or app and push on the flap to open the charger. Very inconvenient!

I called Tesla and they say it's a known bug that came with the last software update (2020.48.35.5) should be fixed with the next software update. I'm sure it worked for a while after the last update...

Does anyone have the same problem?

As I mentioned in this post: PSA - Reports that 2021.4.3 has broken 3rd part DC charging it seems that the software team working on charging related code might be a bit lax when it comes to testing, perhaps.

Charging seems to have had more bugs than pretty much anything else, I think, ranging from failure to turn on with a timed charge point, random charge current reductions shortly after a charge starts (the 32 A dropping to 16 A problem), the reported failure to charge using 3rd party chargers with the latest update and now the charge port door not working, perhaps.

It doesn't not inspire much confidence in some of the other stuff, but at least fart mode works flawlessly and we can sit in the cars and play games . . .

Reactions: Zigway
Update: Just received an email from Tesla replying to the one I sent last week (slow response) asking for a video of the problem of opening/unlocking the port using the TWC and it working using the UMC. They say that they are going to look into the car logs to see what is happening... When I know more I'll report back...

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
I heard back from Tesla and they say the TWC is faulty. They will only replace the unit, if I build a shelter to protect it from rain, ice, etc. and that they will need photographic evidence of the shelter before shipping a warranty replacement unit.

It should be noted, the unit is under first floor roof eaves and is fairly protected from the elements. In fact.

Obviously, I pointed out that there is no requirement of a "shelter" in the installation manual but that's Tesla's warranty policy.

Investigating the problem further, I looked carefully at the charger handle whilst pressing the button and to my surprise I found bubbles & water coming out of the charger handle (under the grey sticker) when the button is pressed! So it's obvious (to me) that water has got into the handle and not the charger unit that has caused this problem.

Even with this information, Tesla still wants me to build a shelter (or move the charger unit indoors) before providing a warranty replacement.

Anyway after a bit of toing and froing with Tesla, I've agreed to move the TWC into the garage (even though there is no space for the car) and it seems that Tesla will pay for the electricians bill. Actually, making this change will smarten up the outside of the house. The only concern now is that the charging handle (coming thru a hole in the garage wall) will still be exposed to the element for at least 12 hours a day when plugged into the car, so could fail again in the future...

They won't replace under warranty unless you build some shelter for it and send a photo, that's such a bonkers answer regardless. I think they letting their own emotion win over logic here.

And now they paying for an electrician.

I think if they stepped back from the situation, they should have just posted a new one. Of course the handle is gonna get wet in normal use.

According to Tesla;

The reason is that it happened in the past that after receiving the new unit the Customers experienced the same issue so we had to replace a third time the unit. That's why we started to ask to shelter the unit especially when it is completely installed outdoor.

I think they have more failures of the unit than the handle...

Investigating the problem further, I looked carefully at the charger handle whilst pressing the button and to my surprise I found bubbles & water coming out of the charger handle (under the grey sticker) when the button is pressed! So it's obvious (to me) that water has got into the handle and not the charger unit that has caused this problem.

Presumably an issue for any Tesla destination charger or possibly (CCS seems to be otherwise of similar construction) supercharger located outdoors?

The TWC has an IP rating of IP44, which is lower than I would have expected for something intended to be fitted and used outdoors. The spec does state "indoor and outdoor use", but generally I would consider IP55 the minimum rating for something like this, and ideally I'd like to see an IP65 or IP66 rating (my own charge points are both IP66 rated).

IP44 means that the unit is protected against physical ingress by objects larger than 1mm and protected against water splashed from all angles, with limited water ingress being permitted.

IP 55 means that the unit is protected against physical ingress from dust, but not harmful deposits, and protected against low pressure water from all angles, with some limited ingress being permitted.

IP66 means that the unit is totally protected from dust, and protected against strong jets of water from all angles, with limited water ingress being permitted.

Regarding the water penetrating the button on the Tesla connector, this is a known defect, that is shown in this video at about 3 minutes in (it's a UMC, but the connector is exactly the same as that on the TWC, albeit this is the US style connector):

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
From the consumers perspective, it's meant for outdoors. They even use photos of the unit outdoors, obviously they use sunny days for marketing but that's just for marketing. I cannot see that being a reasonable argument.

Equally, if it's not fit for purpose, why are professional trades people installing them.

I've decided to try and stop more water entering the handle (until i get the replacement) by wrapping the handle in black insulation tape.

I'll do the same when I get the replacement and place a mark where the button is and replace the tape every so often if it becomes worn or damaged. Maybe self amalgamating tape could be a possible solution as it binds to itself...

handle.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
The TWC has an IP rating of IP44, which is lower than I would have expected for something intended to be fitted and used outdoors. The spec does state "indoor and outdoor use", but generally I would consider IP55 the minimum rating for something like this, and ideally I'd like to see an IP65 or IP66 rating (my own charge points are both IP66 rated).

IP44 means that the unit is protected against physical ingress by objects larger than 1mm and protected against water splashed from all angles, with limited water ingress being permitted.

IP 55 means that the unit is protected against physical ingress from dust, but not harmful deposits, and protected against low pressure water from all angles, with some limited ingress being permitted.

IP66 means that the unit is totally protected from dust, and protected against strong jets of water from all angles, with limited water ingress being permitted.

Regarding the water penetrating the button on the Tesla connector, this is a known defect, that is shown in this video at about 3 minutes in (it's a UMC, but the connector is exactly the same as that on the TWC, albeit this is the US style connector):

Love the ingenuity and technical skill of other Tesla owners. Can you determine where the UMC is manufactured from/by?