Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector/Charger + Off-Peak

stromb0li

Mar 27, 2018
United States
Hey TMC,

Does anyone know if it's ok to put the Gen2 Wall Charger/Connectors on off-peak electrical programs? Essentially the way off-peak works for us is they have a controller box that can flip specific breakers on/off during high utilization in exchange for extremely low kwh costs (like $0.03 if I off peak my car, which seems crazy cheap). Since the breakers can flip at pretty much any time, I'm curious if this is hard on either the Wall Connectors or the vehicle? I usually leave my vehicle plugged in all the time when I'm at home, even if the car is charged to try and reduce battery wear.

Appreciate any thoughts in advance!

Last edited:

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
On my 2020 Tesla, the power to unlock the charging cable is missing, but you can press the button in the charge port door to manually release the cable if you need to remove it when the power is off (your car may not have this button). You would need to use the interior UI, or perhaps the phone app to unlatch the cable. Also, the car is saying to plug the charge port cable into the car, because it doesn't know it is connected. I believe this means the charge port door will eventually try to close, thinking there is no cable connected. This may damage the door. Turn off your breaker and play with it until you think it is the best method. I think your car has the scheduled charging function which I have used to simulate starting charging after peak hours. Seems to work well if you have this on your model.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I’m guessing because that has nothing to do with what the OP is asking about.
Scheduled charging is designed primarily to take advantage of off-peak electric rate hours. From the manual:

Scheduled Charging: When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time to begin charging when you are parked at the scheduled location. If, at the scheduled time, Model S is not plugged in at the location, charging starts as soon as you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled time. If plugged in after six hours, charging does not start until the scheduled time on the next day. To override this setting, touch Start Charging or Stop Charging. When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time on the instrument panel and touchscreen.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Scheduled charging is designed primarily to take advantage of off-peak electric rate hours. From the manual:

Scheduled Charging: When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time to begin charging when you are parked at the scheduled location. If, at the scheduled time, Model S is not plugged in at the location, charging starts as soon as you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled time. If plugged in after six hours, charging does not start until the scheduled time on the next day. To override this setting, touch Start Charging or Stop Charging. When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time on the instrument panel and touchscreen.
I’m quite aware of what it does.

It still has nothing to do with what OP is asking.

They are describing a scenario where the UTILITY has control of the circuit breaker the car’s charger is attached to and can turn it on/off at any time as a way of managing demand on the grid.

They’re asking if there is any risk/concern about power being cut to the wall connector at any time, charging or not, potentially multiple times a day. I think the answer to that is generally “no”. But again, scheduled charging has nothing to do with what’s being discussed.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
I’m guessing because that has nothing to do with what the OP is asking about.

I’m quite aware of what it does.

It still has nothing to do with what OP is asking.

They are describing a scenario where the UTILITY has control of the circuit breaker the car’s charger is attached to and can turn it on/off at any time as a way of managing demand on the grid.

They’re asking if there is any risk/concern about power being cut to the wall connector at any time, charging or not, potentially multiple times a day. I think the answer to that is generally “no”. But again, scheduled charging has nothing to do with what’s being discussed.
Well maybe the OP doesn't know how scheduled charging works 🤔🤯

And for what is being described it's not the the utility company is flipping breakers as that is extremely unsafe to do on a constant basis as it wears them out and causes them to fail. The utility company installed a box of some sort that will create a switch outside of the panel and open close the circuit that way like they do for A/C in the desert.

In the end IMO I say don't do it, because if you want to use it while it's in off mode it's annoying to have to override it, and sometimes extremely difficult depending on what controller and utility company is used. And the power company shouldn't have any control over anything in the house besides the main coming in from the street.
Stick with scheduled charging or just don't plug it in during peak times.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC