Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Charging Non-Tesla Vehicles? (Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah agreed. Those posts about J1772 are very problematic, and have potential to confuse Australian owners. J1772 is virtually non existent here, and is in no way a "standard".

There are still a few around. I've used J1772->Mennekes (Type 2) adapter a fair few times. I'm sure people with the older cars would need it the other way around too. Obviously different to the J1772 to Tesla proprietary adapters though (USA/Canada/South Korea).

There are still a few around. I've used J1772->Mennekes (Type 2) adapter a fair few times.
Yep. Unfortunately still way too many J1772 points in Australia, mostly thanks to Chargepoint abandoning them.

Including Australia's largest install (8 J1772 and no Type2 at ICC Sydney carpark) and one of the remotest (8 J1772s including 5 at the airport, with no Type 2 on Kangaroo Island in SA).

But Tesla has always been Type2 in Australia.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and OzVic
I have a Gen 2 wall charger that came with my 2019 model 3. It's installed in my carport on its own 32 amp single phase circuit. Works fine with my Tesla.
Do I have to do anything to it for it to charge non-Tesla cars with type 2 charge ports or will it work as installed? I know the Gen 3 has to be configured via the network interface to handle non-Teslas but the Gen 2 doesn't connect to the home network via Wi-Fi as far as I know so any configuration changes would have to be physically made in the Gen 2 EVSE.

I have a Gen 2 wall charger that came with my 2019 model 3. It's installed in my carport on its own 32 amp single phase circuit. Works fine with my Tesla.
Do I have to do anything to it for it to charge non-Tesla cars with type 2 charge ports or will it work as installed? I know the Gen 3 has to be configured via the network interface to handle non-Teslas but the Gen 2 doesn't connect to the home network via Wi-Fi as far as I know so any configuration changes would have to be physically made in the Gen 2 EVSE.
I have a Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector and have charged my Neighbours BYD Atto 3 without needing to make any changes.

Do I have to do anything to it for it to charge non-Tesla cars with type 2 charge ports
If you read back through the early posts you will see it might depend on the generation of Gen2 charger.

Earlier ones are OK (rev 00 or 01) when Dip2 is down. Later ones including seemingly all those that came with Model 3s (rev02 or higher) seemingly had the functionality removed.

In the thread is a link to a US$300 Type2-2 TeslaTap.. but it would be probably be cheaper to buy a Gen3, get it installed, and then sell your Gen2.

My experience with the Gen 3 Wall Connector and a Chevy Volt is it will charge it with a proper adapter but forces the car to charge immediately requiring me to get out to plug in the car and then get back in the car and set it back to charge for departure time. A real pita.