Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Charging Non-Tesla Vehicles? (Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add my n = 1 experience, I just installed a Wall Connector Gen 3 in France. Set it up using the wi-fi, and found the 'access control' option and set this to 'all vehicles'. It is currently charging a 40kWh Renault Zoe perfectly. No dip switches or faff on Gen 3. The Zoe can be a pain for charging compared to other EVs, so if it can do the Zoe I would expect it to be fine on others. This is of course using the European WC Gen 3 with the Type 2 cable.

Hi! I have bought a Wall Connector Gen3. I have updated it to the latest available sw version 21.36.6. I can charge with my BMW G30 plugin hybrid and my BMW i3 without problems. But if I plug my wifes Opel Ampera-E, after the negotiation it seems the charing will starting but suddenly stopping and the car release the plugh after 20-30 seconds. Do you know why? Tesla support recommends to buy SAE J1772 adapter... Do you think it will be a solution for my problem? What for the adapter if the car has type 2 plug? Thanks a lot! Regards,Viktor

Attachments

• IMG_8084.PNG
    IMG_8084.PNG
    263.2 KB · Views: 208
I can confirm the MG EVs (MG5 and MG ZS) have trouble with the Gen 3 chargers:

I read this thread with interest and thanks for all input, but I can't seem to draw a conclusion for my specific question, so here it is :cool:

I am having a Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger installed in early May '22 for my MY which won't be here until Dec of '22 . Does Gen3 home charger can be used to charge non-Tesla cars? I assume same kind of adapters would be required ? Please share your personal story.
Thanks and have a nice day

Since you are in North America (this is the Australia subforum, so my answer might not be accurate for Australian units), the answer is yes, gen3 wall connectors as well as gen2 wall connectors can be used to charge non-Tesla vehicles. I have a gen2 charger for my Model 3 and a gen3 charger with an adapter to charge my girlfriend's Chevy Bolt and my Zero SR/S motorcycle. The adapter I use use this one:

Last edited:
I read this thread with interest and thanks for all input, but I can't seem to draw a conclusion for my specific question, so here it is :cool:

I am having a Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger installed in early May '22 for my MY which won't be here until Dec of '22 . Does Gen3 home charger can be used to charge non-Tesla cars? I assume same kind of adapters would be required ? Please share your personal story.
Yes they "should" be able to, there is an option on the wall charger settings to enable charging of non-Tesla cars. This seems to depend on the car, some have reported that the MG evs dont seem to work. If you have a US wall charger then you will need the adapter.

Yep. No problem. There is nothing special about a Tesla wall charger except for the connector. It is a standard J1772 L2 charge cable. Obviously you’ll have to use an adapter because of the different connecter. They are readily available from a variety of sources on the web.

Cheers.

Thanks all. Now I feel better, at least there are solutions out there .
I assume adapters are not "universal" so one would have to buy different adapters for different cars ?

i.e. Gen3 Tesla wall charger + adapter at the end ===> would charge Volt or BMW and may not be able to charge Kia because of its end configuration?

I learn something everyday

Given that you seem to live in the US there are basically two standards: Tesla and J1772. If it's not a Tesla, it will inevitably have a J1772 connector, so once you have a Tesla to J1772 adapter (the opposite of the adapter that comes with the car unless they don't even deliver that one anymore), you can charge every EV there is.

..and for completeness, given that this thread is in the Australia sub-forum: in Australia there's two standards, Type 2 ("Mennekes") and Type 1 (J1772). Teslas - and thus the Tesla chargers - use Type 2, as do pretty much every other EV here including all - or virtually all - of those sold new as of 2022.

Yes, J1772 is becoming increasingly rare in both cars and tethered chargers. New LEAFs have had Type 2 here for a year or two, they were one of the last holdouts. But Nissan is still doggedly sticking with CHADeMO for DC charging, so keep on having to have two ports on their vehicles rather than just one 🤷‍♂️

I saw these on Amazon. I assume they are both for use with the end of the Gen 3 Tesla Wall charger hose. One end to END of Gen 3 hose, the OTHER END goes to a non-Tesla charging port. If that's true then WHY one would be preferred over the other ? especially one is priced at 3X of the other
Help me out
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 65
I saw these on Amazon. I assume they are both for use with the end of the Gen 3 Tesla Wall charger hose. One end to END of Gen 3 hose, the OTHER END goes to a non-Tesla charging port. If that's true then WHY one would be preferred over the other ? especially one is priced at 3X of the other
Help me out
Thanks
No, the cheaper one is the opposite of the more expensive one - it allows you to charge a Tesla from a J1772 charging station.

You should be posting this in a relevant USA forum. This is an Australian sub-forum, and the Tesla proprietary connector is not used in this country.

Moderator @meloccom - can you please change the title of this thread to “Tesla Wall Connector Charging Non-Tesla Vehicles? (Australia)” to clarify. Thanks.

Reactions: brkaus
You should be posting this in a relevant USA forum. This is an Australian sub-forum, and the Tesla proprietary connector is not used in this country.

Moderator @meloccom - can you please change the title of this thread to “Tesla Wall Connector Charging Non-Tesla Vehicles? (Australia)” to clarify. Thanks.

Yeah agreed. Those posts about J1772 are very problematic, and have potential to confuse Australian owners. J1772 is virtually non existent here, and is in no way a "standard".