Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Charging Non-Tesla Vehicles? (Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Gen 3 can get them over WiFi (and, further to this thread topic, apparently the Gen 3 explicitly has an option in the setup application to enable non-Tesla charging).
Hi cafz, I surely hope the Gen3 allows option of charging non tesla cars because if it does then I've hopefully saved myself from the hassle of needing to get another universal one in the future. I just ordered the Gen 3 charger in Australia.

The gen3 Wall Connector has an option in its setup menu to either charge any vehicle or Teslas only. Last time I checked, the setting didn't do anything. I set it to "Tesla only" and was still able to charge my gf's Chevy Bolt as well as my Zero SR/S motorcycle (with an adapter, of course).

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
The gen3 Wall Connector has an option in its setup menu to either charge any vehicle or Teslas only. Last time I checked, the setting didn't do anything. I set it to "Tesla only" and was still able to charge my gf's Chevy Bolt as well as my Zero SR/S motorcycle (with an adapter, of course).
Hey UncleCreepy, sounds good then if it allows ability to charge other non Tesla's option open.

Hey UncleCreepy, sounds good then if it allows ability to charge other non Tesla's option open.

Just a note that he appears to be talking about the North American Gen3 unit.

Our 240V 3 phase capable unit is quite different, even down to the connector format.

Hopefully we can get some local compatibility test results in the next few weeks to confirm 100%

FYI: I just charged a Kona using my new Gen 3 Wall Charger on a single phase connection. I believe we have the same chargers as Europe.

Attachments

• Tesla Gem3 Wall Charger Charging Kona.jpg
    Tesla Gem3 Wall Charger Charging Kona.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 5,971
Last edited:
We are looking to have a Tesla Wall Connector installed at our family house to be used by myself and other family members, with also the possibility of being used by non-Tesla vehicles.
hey @GReeeeN - did you ever get this resolved?
If not, in these situations I would suggest avoiding the TWC altogether and installing an plain-jane 22kW Wall Charger (if you have 3phase to the house).
That'll charge your Model3 at 11kW and the Hyundai at 7kW and every other EV with a CCS2 or Type2 charging port.
If you don't have 3phase, only single phase, then the maximum the plain-jane Wall charger will take is 32A, 7kw.
I get that Tesla owners want to use a Tesla Wall Connector - brand loyalty and all that.
Still, it solves the compatibility problem and cheaper than the TWC.

What's the deal with needing an expensive charger for your car? The car comes with a charger that can plug directly into a 220 volt outlet. I've used nothing more for both my cars for the past ten years and that outlet does the job just fine.

Sure, the wall charger runs 80 amps instead of 40, but the car charges OVERNIGHT. Who needs to get the charge in two hours? Personally, I'm asleep, and I don't need to keep track of when the car finishes. It's ready in the morning. Always. If one is unable to budget their time and forgets to plug in, well, that's going to be a problem no matter what kind of charging you have, but it's fairly obvious that the cars SIT DOING NOTHING for maybe 20 hours a day. And still there are people who absolutely MUST charge their cars in only a couple hours. Amazing.

Oh, well, it's only money.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vostok
Sure, the wall charger runs 80 amps instead of 40, but the car charges OVERNIGHT. Who needs to get the charge in two hours? Personally, I'm asleep, and I don't need to keep track of when the car finishes. It's ready in the morning. Always. If one is unable to budget their time and forgets to plug in, well, that's going to be a problem no matter what kind of charging you have, but it's fairly obvious that the cars SIT DOING NOTHING for maybe 20 hours a day. And still there are people who absolutely MUST charge their cars in only a couple hours. Amazing.
For 99% of times I agree with you, because most of the time my TWC charges Slartibartfast at 4.3 kW (so that it can charge purely off my solar).

It’s the 1% where you might get a horrible sinking feeling. We had a family emergency once where we needed to drive 400km and home charging at 11 kW saved the day. The car had been used during the day, was low-ish on charge, and after ”that phone call” we suddenly needed to add a minimum of 50 km range in the time it took to pack our bags, otherwise we would have been super-stressed whether we’d make it to the first supercharger on the way to our destination in country NSW.

I suppose if we didn’t have that option we would have had to make a 30-45 minute detour to the nearest Supercharger in the city to charge before heading out of Sydney (and my wife would have been forever cursing me for buying an EV), but being able to do a fast top-up at home in a stressful situation was just one less hassle to worry about. Even if I had to pay separate money for my TWC (it came included with the car) I would say it paid for itself with that one, single event. And yes, we made it to the SC with about 30km to spare.

That’s the thing about emergencies - they don’t happen at convenient times after one has “budgeted their time“ for them.

What's the deal with needing an expensive charger for your car? The car comes with a charger that can plug directly into a 220 volt outlet. I've used nothing more for both my cars for the past ten years and that outlet does the job just fine.

Oh, well, it's only money.

The issue in the argument above is that it presumes that your situation can be applied to everyone. The word "I" appears a lot :)

Everyone's use case is different. Some have 2 cars to charge. Some do long routes back to back.

A standard 10amp wall socket will add around 150km overnight. It will do for many cases, but if there's 2 cars to charge or you need a full charge by morning it's great to have a dedicated wall charger.