Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector: Configuring charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install Tesla Wall Connector at home. Wondering if I opt for 60 Amps installation and wiring, would I have a choice to charge my Model Y at lower amps and at a slower rate?

For e.g. 60 amp charges Model Y 44 miles/hour. I'm looking to configure the charging speed at lower rates may be 37 miles/hour or 30 miles/hour as I do not want to strain the battery with higher amps each time I charge.

TIA

Yes, you can adjust it in the app. There's a toggle thingy that shows up after you plug in. You can adjust charge limit and amperage.

tempFileForShare_20220830-164538.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, at 60 amps you can configure it for max charging rate of 48 amps or lower. Charging at 48 amps will not hurt or strain the battery at all. Changing to a slower speed will just charge it slower.

If you insist on charging at a slower speed I wouldn't do that by limiting charge rate at the wall connector. I would setup the wall connector for 48 amp charging and then just set the limit in the Tesla app to a lower setting. This way if you decide you need faster charging later on you simply change the setting in the app instead of having to recommission the wall connector.

Reactions: jpfive
Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install Tesla Wall Connector at home. Wondering if I opt for 60 Amps installation and wiring, would I have a choice to charge my Model Y at lower amps and at a slower rate?

For e.g. 60 amp charges Model Y 44 miles/hour. I'm looking to configure the charging speed at lower rates may be 37 miles/hour or 30 miles/hour as I do not want to strain the battery with higher amps each time I charge.

TIA
If your home has capacity for adding a 60A circuit then that would be the best option (enables charging at up to 48A.) Some have stated that charging at 40A (when setting the Wall Connector for a 50A circuit) is the most efficient setting as charging at 48A may require some additional cooling of the onboard charger electronics.

Just as important, be sure to locate the Wall Connector within reach of the charge port on the Tesla Model Y or other Tesla vehicles you plan to charge. The Wall Connector is fully weather rated and can be installed outdoors or inside a garage. The charging cord is 24 feet in length. The charge port on the Tesla vehicle is located next to the left rear tail light. (You can use a garden hose and mark off 24 feet to gauge where to locate the Wall Connector. (If installed inside a garage the Wall Connector would need to be at a height of 48 inches above the garage floor. (I live in MD too.))

Upvote 0
as I do not want to strain the battery with higher amps each time I charge.
That shouldn't even be something to consider for home charging. You are talking about a battery which can accept 250 kW power level. And you are thinking 11 kW might "strain the battery"? It won't. All home charging is EXTREMELY low power from the battery's perspective.

If you want to turn power down, you can do that from the car's screen if you want to, but this reason about the battery wouldn't make sense. What might make sense is that the wall connector itself, and its cable are built to a spec for 48A being its maximum level. That can get pretty warm running at max amps. And that daily heat cycling of warming up and cooling down can eventually flex solder joints from metals expanding and contracting from heat changes. So maybe for the very long term life of your wall connector, you might turn it down some if you don't need to run it at maximum level all the time.

Reactions: iamnid
Upvote 0
That shouldn't even be something to consider for home charging. You are talking about a battery which can accept 250 kW power level. And you are thinking 11 kW might "strain the battery"? It won't. All home charging is EXTREMELY low power from the battery's perspective.

If you want to turn power down, you can do that from the car's screen if you want to, but this reason about the battery wouldn't make sense. What might make sense is that the wall connector itself, and its cable are built to a spec for 48A being its maximum level.
yes, the battery doesn't care, but the household wiring might. I'm generally using 24 instead of the 32 my inverter charger can do, or the 40 it was incorrectly permitting (has a 40A connection to the main panel). My house is a 90 years worth of evolution. Though next time my electrician is here, I'll ask if this is being silly.

From a time perspective, I'm fine with either nearly always. If I want to top up right before departure, I'll go higher. The lower rate will be somewhat less efficient due to the overhead.

Upvote 0
yes, the battery doesn't care, but the household wiring might.
That is accounted for in that you need to pick an appropriate level of circuit and comply with electric code in its installation. The rules for EV charging already give pretty significant protection, in that they are considered a constant load and have to have a circuit rated for 125% capacity of the current being drawn. So the wiring should be fully fine without your having to dial things down.

I'm generally using 24 instead of the 32 my inverter charger can do, or the 40 it was incorrectly permitting (has a 40A connection to the main panel).
I'm not sure what you mean here. That looks like the correct setup, having a 40A rated circuit and drawing no more than 32A on it.

Upvote 0
That is accounted for in that you need to pick an appropriate level of circuit and comply with electric code in its installation. The rules for EV charging already give pretty significant protection, in that they are considered a constant load and have to have a circuit rated for 125% capacity of the current being drawn. So the wiring should be fully fine without your having to dial things down.

I'm not sure what you mean here. That looks like the correct setup, having a 40A rated circuit and drawing no more than 32A on it.
It will supply 40 to the car if I let it. I raised this item when they did a restringing of the panels, and watched them in theory set the dip switches according, but I can still go past 32. I may open it up one of the days to see if they got it wrong again, or I just ensure any cars that use it are properly set.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
It will supply 40 to the car if I let it. I raised this item when they did a restringing of the panels, and watched them in theory set the dip switches according, but I can still go past 32. I may open it up one of the days to see if they got it wrong again, or I just ensure any cars that use it are properly set.
Oh, yeah, then that is a configuration you should get fixed. If the wire and breaker are only sized as a 40A rated circuit, then the wall connector needs to be set for a 40A circuit, so the draw can't go above 32A. Having to rely on remembering car settings isn't a very solid way to go.

Reactions: dagug
Upvote 0
Hi,

TIA
All 240V charging is "trickle" charging, as seen by the battery. There is no reason to limit current at these levels, as said in other posts. Even 80 amps on the old Model S is perfectly fine - it's only 19.2kW. 48A is a measly 11.5kW.

Upvote 0
yes, the battery doesn't care, but the household wiring might. I'm generally using 24 instead of the 32 my inverter charger can do, or the 40 it was incorrectly permitting (has a 40A connection to the main panel). My house is a 90 years worth of evolution. Though next time my electrician is here, I'll ask if this is being silly.

From a time perspective, I'm fine with either nearly always. If I want to top up right before departure, I'll go higher. The lower rate will be somewhat less efficient due to the overhead.
I’m probably going to upgrade to a 100A panel so that I can charge the car, run the ac, vacuum, and microwave all at the same time. In all seriousness, my house is also old and there are sometimes things being added over the years. Don’t want to overtax the panel!

Upvote 0
If your home has capacity for adding a 60A circuit then that would be the best option (enables charging at up to 48A.) Some have stated that charging at 40A (when setting the Wall Connector for a 50A circuit) is the most efficient setting as charging at 48A may require some additional cooling of the onboard charger electronics.

Just as important, be sure to locate the Wall Connector within reach of the charge port on the Tesla Model Y or other Tesla vehicles you plan to charge. The Wall Connector is fully weather rated and can be installed outdoors or inside a garage. The charging cord is 24 feet in length. The charge port on the Tesla vehicle is located next to the left rear tail light. (You can use a garden hose and mark off 24 feet to gauge where to locate the Wall Connector. (If installed inside a garage the Wall Connector would need to be at a height of 48 inches above the garage floor. (I live in MD too.))
Why does it need to be 48 inches off the floor?

Upvote 0
Why does it need to be 48 inches off the floor?
Local electrical code that dates back to when gasoline powered automobiles were new and electricity in the home was pretty new too. With a chance gasoline vapors could be wafting around on the floor of a garage they were concerned that a spark from a switch, motor, etc. could ignite the fumes. By mounting switches, outlets and equipment at 48" height the feeling was that this would prevent a random spark from igniting the gasoline fumes.

Upvote 0
Local electrical code that dates back to when gasoline powered automobiles were new and electricity in the home was pretty new too. With a chance gasoline vapors could be wafting around on the floor of a garage they were concerned that a spark from a switch, motor, etc. could ignite the fumes. By mounting switches, outlets and equipment at 48" height the feeling was that this would prevent a random spark from igniting the gasoline fumes.
This has probably been covered elsewhere: I have my Gen 3 charging my Y at 27 amps over standard singe phase 230ish volts. Based on advice, I eschew the max 32 amps.
I checked on the app a moment ago and found the charge rate at 13 amps!
In the app, I toggled "Stop Charging" and the 27 amp rate was restored.

After three minutes it dropped to 13 amps again. And so it has gone back and forth for 30 minuted of trying. She is drawing 240 v consistently.

I am not running any appliances and so am not risking the 80amp house breaker.

Any ideas please? cold weather? Wall Point ? The car's charger? I have the time to spare for charging at 13amps. So, am I bovvered? Should I be bovvered?

Upvote 0
Typically when the Tesla vehicle charging session amperage is repeatedly/automatically reduced something is overheating. Since you are using the Gen3 Wall Connector the charging connector or charge port could be overheating.

Turn off the circuit breaker to the Wall Connector charging circuit, wait 10 seconds, and turn the circuit breaker on.

Make sure the charge port and charging connector are clean, dry and undamaged. Make sure you fully insert the charging connector and try charging.

If you have the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector and 5-15 power plug (or other plug adapter) test charging with the Mobile Connector at 12 amps and see if the charging session is successful at the 12 amp setting without dropping the amperage.

If the problem persists try charging at a Supercharger or a Tesla Destination charger (perhaps you can try charging at Tesla owner's Wall Connector.) Plugshare will help locate public Level 2 charging stations (you would need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter with the public charging station.)

• Helpful
Upvote 0
Typically when the Tesla vehicle charging session amperage is repeatedly/automatically reduced something is overheating. Since you are using the Gen3 Wall Connector the charging connector or charge port could be overheating.

Turn off the circuit breaker to the Wall Connector charging circuit, wait 10 seconds, and turn the circuit breaker on.

Make sure the charge port and charging connector are clean, dry and undamaged. Make sure you fully insert the charging connector and try charging.

If you have the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector and 5-15 power plug (or other plug adapter) test charging with the Mobile Connector at 12 amps and see if the charging session is successful at the 12 amp setting without dropping the amperage.

If the problem persists try charging at a Supercharger or a Tesla Destination charger (perhaps you can try charging at Tesla owner's Wall Connector.) Plugshare will help locate public Level 2 charging stations (you would need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter with the public charging station.)
Thank you for that. It is curious that this should happen when we get out first cold snap.

Upvote 0