Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector where you need it to be able to charge using the provided 24 ft charging cable?

As an alternative to digging a trench and installing conduit, wire underground it may be possible bury underground rated wire covered in cement. The wire would not have to be buried as deeply as when using conduit. No conduit would be required.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Resurrecting an old post, but sharing this... sec 625.17 of the NEC caps the cable length from EVSE to car at 25'. You might not find much in the way of extensions.
1637465034083.png

I have my Gen3 charger in my front stoop; so it is outside but is covered. The 24' cable easily reaches to my MYLR, and could reach over to a second car once my wife upgrades to a Tesla. The trick is to get use to backing in so that the charge port is on the correct side close to the Gen3 charger.

My exterior walls have horizontal studs inside them, hence the ugly gray electrical conduit. In a couple years we'll be redoing the siding and will put the wire inside the wall then. See photo below.

Since it is outside, I told the Gen3 charger to only charge my VIN. And I already have numerous security cameras.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

IMG_0191.JPG

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Whaaaa? I had not heard they had this functionality yet. That would be very interesting if they have that capability.

It is in the Gen 3 Wall Connector that I have (my photo is in my previous post). If you have an older Gen3 Wall Connector and don't see the option, then you need to update your Wall Connector's firmware. Once you update your firmware, then here is the step-by-step to access the VIN limits:

According to the page, you need to have Wall Connector firmware 21.36.4 or later.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H