Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "fix" may well be to taper down charging, much like SuperChargers do today. The Gen 3 conveniently has WiFi access so a change in SW or FW is all it takes, along with a story to advise that lower charging rates are better for battery life.
That however just defeats the purpose of buying a gen 3 wall connector when you can just use a use a nema 14-50. So basically you're paying $500 for a wall decoration.

Reactions: bhorn
It's been a while since I posted an update. I got my replacement wall charger a few weeks ago. It has been charging great until yesterday. Now it's dropping speed and flashing red lights. So frustrating.
I received a replacement about 3 weeks ago with no noticeable problems until yesterday. I got message on app that the charger stop with a problem. It was set for 80% charge and quit around 75%? I had the3 blinking lights. I unplugged and finished the charge to 80% without further problems. I guess I will call and advise of this problem with replacement charger.

I’ve posted my story awhile back, but yesterday I finally got an email with all the return documents to send back my defective charger. I’m suppose to also receive a tracking number when my replacement unit ships. For those of you that did not install your wall charger yourself, switching out the head unit is very easy, you just need the right torx bit set. The torx bits required are listed in the installation manual. The process should take you less than 30 minutes. If you search on YouTube there are a few videos of people installing these.

Currently I’m charging (2) cars everynight (one at a time) at 24A without interruption. If I go any higher than 24A I get the three blinking lights.

My concern is that the same thing will happen with the new charger after I receive it. It took about a month the first time before I started having a problem.

The part number I currently have is 1457768-01-F. Do the replacement units you guys have received recently have a different part #?

FYI I received my replacement Gen 3 2 weeks ago and I had one hiccup with it on the 2nd charge I stoped 5% short of the 80% that I set it for. Then last week (Friday) I was down to 50% and started a charge, it quit after 1 1/2 hour and on the dash (Model S LR) I had a message "Unable to charge wall connector too hot Let Wall Connector cool and try again" After 1/2 hour I tried again and it finished the charge to 80%. I contacted Tesla Home Charging unit. They are going to bump it up to a higher level but I have not heard back from them.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
The part number I currently have is 1457768-01-F. Do the replacement units you guys have received recently have a different part #?
Same part number for me, both my original and the replacement.

Unfortunately I still only have a few charges (but at 48A solid) with the replacement gen 3 even though I’ve had it three weeks because my car has been in service for the last two. :-(

Should get the car back end of this week. I kind of don’t want to stress the replacement though, I just plan on using it normally, and if it breaks again I will call Tesla again.

I found this thread since I'm having the 3 flashing red light issue. I had my electrician come out and replace my breaker as I thought that might be my issue, but my first charge on a brand new breaker and it still does it, slowing down from 48a to 24a. So I call Tesla and they say it is 'working as intended' and they just pushed an update on 9/17 with the latest version which is stepping the unit down until it reaches 90 degrees Celsius. It sounds to me they don't have it dialed in yet as the rep said they hope to fix this issue in a future update.

I found this thread since I'm having the 3 flashing red light issue. I had my electrician come out and replace my breaker as I thought that might be my issue, but my first charge on a brand new breaker and it still does it, slowing down from 48a to 24a. So I call Tesla and they say it is 'working as intended' and they just pushed an update on 9/17 with the latest version which is stepping the unit down until it reaches 90 degrees Celsius. It sounds to me they don't have it dialed in yet as the rep said they hope to fix this issue in a future update.

If the unit is reaching 90 degrees celsius that's a problem. the electrical wires running to the wall chargers are usually only rated to 90 degrees celsius.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I had the same problem as reported all through this thread, my charging amperage would drop from 40 amps to 20 amps after 10-20 minutes and got the blinking red lights, firmware 0.8.58. I just noticed last night different behavior. I checked my charging progress ~40 minutes after starting, from my phone, and it was still charging at 40 amps with 90 minutes to go. Checked about an hour later and instead of dropping to 20 amps it had only dropped to 31amps and reporting 30 minutes to go. I did not go out and look at the wall charger until this morning. I checked the firmware and it's now 1.3.0.

Evening. Moving to a new home, need a new wall connector, see they are sold out and thought I was so smart to purchase a new gen 3 on Amazon. Sure I paid a bit more but what could go wrong? I now see a lot has been going wrong in the charger world. Should I cancel my Amazon order or do you think if mine has issues Tesla will still work with me to replace?

Not accusing anyone of anything. I am just wondering.

I am hoping I just got lucky. I ordered and received my Gen3 wall connectors in Feb 2020. They sat until June timeframe I think. I installed them myself.

So here is my question. What size wire is everyone using? I haven't hit the issue with either of mine. I am using 4AWG wire for the whole run. The run is about 50ft.

I know a lot of installations use 6AWG because it is enough for 48amps (that is actually what I used for my single Gen 2 WC. But I specifically went with 4AWG so I could swap it out for something else in the future if a new wall connector for the Cybertruck gets released

I just find it sorta crazy I haven't hit this issue. The only thing that concerns me is that due to covid we aren't driving all that much. So neither car chargers for more than 2 hours. However, this weekend, we are going to be driving for 6 hours so I am going to try to get back to my house with less than 10% charge so I can really stress one of the chargers.

My biggest complaint is lack of power sharing. I don't have the available amperage to run both of them at 48amps at the same time so I need power sharing.

Not accusing anyone of anything. I am just wondering.

I am hoping I just got lucky. I ordered and received my Gen3 wall connectors in Feb 2020. They sat until June timeframe I think. I installed them myself.

So here is my question. What size wire is everyone using? I haven't hit the issue with either of mine. I am using 4AWG wire for the whole run. The run is about 50ft.

Mine is 6AWG. However, one point that argues against this theory is that apparently the unit believes it's the car-side of the connector that's overheating, which implies that the wire in the cord, not the supply to the connector, is at issue (or it's a flaky thermistor in the wand).

Do you have the 8ft cord or the 18 foot one? I think all units with an issue have been the longer cord.