Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. So charging was interrupted about 2 hours after being parked last night. The unit was definitely warm, but we have had it working at 48A without issue since 6/25 taking delivery. I unplugged, turned the breaker off and on, and tried again. The car would get up to 16 or 17A then drop all the way down to zero and go through this same cycle over and over. I think I eventually got it to work by getting in the car triggering the A/C then plugging in again? FWIW, I do have the latest firmware installed ending in 5760 via other threads. It stopped again three red blinks as I got into bed around 10pm, and I did the same thing to get it to finish to 90%.

This morning, I manually pushed the SOC to 100% to see if there were any issues with three red blinks for high temperature. Went with no problem. Unit obviously didn't get as hot because the charge tapers at that high SOC and the wife had scheduled departure on.

One interesting thing to note...according to Tezlab, my Y has or is now charging at 44mph...which is above the stated 42mph for the MY on the Wall Connector webpage. It's stated that only M3 charges at 44mph. Attached are screenshots of last night's charging when I finally got it to work.

The real test will be tonight when the wife gets back home with about 60% SOC and we plug back in and the max 48A kicks in again and for how long it can go hopefully without getting the error. Should I be concerned and maybe setup mobile service appointment? We are in Arkansas in a typical hot garage like a lot of people but haven't had any problems until last night.

One interesting thing to note...according to Tezlab, my Y has or is now charging at 44mph...which is above the stated 42mph for the MY on the Wall Connector webpage. It's stated that only M3 charges at 44mph. Attached are screenshots of last night's charging when I finally got it to work.

The MPH numbers are calculated by taking Volts * Amps / (Wh/Mile). In that chart, it looks like Tesla used 274 Wh/mile at 48 Amps. If you were getting 44 MPH then your Voltage was probably around 251V instead of the usual 240V. For example, 240V * 48 Amps / 274 Wh/mile = 42.5 mile/hour. Working backwards, 44 mile/hour * 274 Wh/mile / 48 Amps = 251V.

If your car was really charging at 240V but Tezlab shows it charging at 44 MPH, then they might be using your actual Wh/mile average to calculate the approximate MPH charge rate.

BTW, it appears Tesla uses several different Wh/mile values in their charging table. Odd that they don't keep it consistent per vehicle.

Hi everyone first post here. I have a Model 3 Dual Motor bought it less than a month ago. Got the Gen 3 charger installed less than 2 weeks ago by a Tesla recommended electrician.

Im having the same problem. I had my electrician come over and he’s checked everything no issues with installation.
Didn’t have this problem until today. Now I can charge for more than 10 minutes before I get the interruption. My current firmware:
0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342

I’ll keep you all posted.

Another me too post. My connector firmware is 0.8.4 and the car is on 2020.24.6.4.

I lowered the car charge setting to 32A and it’s at least able to charge now without stopping. Sounds like the firmware update is promising, but will have to wait till they’re open next week.

Another me too post. My connector firmware is 0.8.4 and the car is on 2020.24.6.4.

I lowered the car charge setting to 32A and it’s at least able to charge now without stopping. Sounds like the firmware update is promising, but will have to wait till they’re open next week.
Thank you for the suggestion. I lowered mine to 32A and it charged without issues.

Just an update I am on the latest firmware for my Gen 3 charger see picture and I am still having issues at full 48A. No idea could the units all be bad?

Attachments

• screenshot_115.png
    screenshot_115.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 127
Just to update everyone. Got off the phone with Tesla and they are sending out a new charger because even after the firmware update I am still having issues. Just an FYI !

Same for me. Experiencing the same issues with 3 blinking red lights which indicates "high temperature detection". I've had the TWC since late April, and just started experiencing this issues over this weekend.
Got on the phone with support this morning, was on hold for roughly 10min, after that we started troubleshooting, they saw my TWC was up-to-date on firmware, they checked the logs, and in the end they decided on shipping a new TWC. Will have to send the old one back. Just FYI, the TWC has a four year warranty.
This is my first post on this site. Just joined today! :)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: zone121 and bhorn
Update: I just got off the phone. They’re pushing the update to my charger.

I’m glad some of you are getting chargers but I honestly think this could be a different issue not a hardware issue. I truly hope the new charger fixes it but I don’t see what that would fix, unless they changed components in the last 3 weeks since my charger is brand new.

Looking forward to see if someone or Tesla find a fix. Thanks